Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Eidolon probably fits on this list as well. Although it's kind of a soothing exploration game for the most part, you do have to forage for food and you can die of starvation, cold, sickness, etc. Not super-difficult by any means. Giant Bomb did a quick look just today, you can find it here.

Miasmata also belongs here. Exploration and survival, while fighting off and trying to find a cure for a mysterious sickness, and contenting with a large unknown monster out in the wilderness. Giant Bomb quick look here.

And maybe it's not worth putting on the list since everyone knows about it already, but Minecraft in survival mode is probably one of these. I love these type of games, I've played nearly every one that's been mentioned in the thread. Maybe it's because I do a lot of hiking and backpacking for real as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Extreme0 posted:

Couldn't The Long Dark be considered a Survival Simulation game? It's a survival game based around surviving the northern wildness with a fancy art style that looks like something from XIII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcdT1fQQuwY

Giant Bomb took a look at it here: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unfinished-the-long-dark-08-08-2014/2300-9316/

Definitely fits the survival game mold.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

PiCroft posted:

I have to say, I'm really not impressed with Breathedge and I'm struggling to continue much farther, and I think I'm still very early on.

This is just personal taste, but I really hate this style of humour, this cross between edgy "Let's have a legit reference to the Salisbury Novichok poisoning" and the "penguinofdoom *holds up spork* lol random" crap. I'd have found it amazing and funny when I was a teenager, but the developers winking and nudging at dumb useless time wasting stuff by deliberately making you do it, while calling it "Dumb useless time wasting" is not funny, its a bad omen for things to come regarding how well the game respects your time. I don't even hate all of the humour, many of the visual gags are legit hilarious, like the positions and poses of many of the dead bodies you find and some of the dialogue. It reminds me of the style of in-group reference humour in bad Steam Greenlight games.

But I'd handle it if the mechanics weren't severely testing my patience. You need tools to gather resources, like the scrapper, and its durability is atrocious. You spend so much of your time bungee-ing between your initial base and resource sites trying to grab what you can, constantly needing to rebuild your basic tools. Best I can tell, there's no resource respawning either so the game has a slow death march to depletion which always sucks in survival sandboxes. I think I'm on my second(?) oxygen upgrade and it's still not enough to get things done. You need to rely on oxygen stations, basically big air balloons you can deploy and also refill with oxygen rechargers which I'm sure is how you're expected to progress further from your base, but they rely on oxygen candles, a valuable consumable resource that refills your oxygen partially, so I never ever want to use one.

I've not gotten a vehicle or access to base building yet but I'm not sure I want to bother continuing. I've been playing for over 7 hours now and I don't know if steam will accept a refund at this point, otherwise I might as well just try and get my money out of it.

Yeah, I played it just over an hour and ended up refunding it. It wasn't bad, but the humor was a total miss for me and there's so many better survival games I could be spending my time on. The thing I bolded in your quote was kind of the last straw for me -- lampshading the fact that your game has pointless time sinks in it while making me do a pointless time sink doesn't make it any better.

I took the refund money from it and bought myself Space Engineers instead :unsmith:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I'm looking for a new game, but I've played so many in this genre that I don't know if there's anything left.

I have played Raft on and off through its development - now I have a friend and we're doing a co-op, will probably finish it this time. I like raft a lot, but I let him design the overall 'structure' of the raft and realized I wanted more sort of 'homey' base building. We just came off of Valheim, too, which has a similar vibe, but are putting that down for awhile. I don't think Raft has enough to make me want to start a simultaneous save for singleplayer, to be honest. I think part of my attraction is definitely the more fiddly, physical aspect. What are some other games with some good 'homey' base building? Or at least sort of.. I'm not sure how to describe the vibe - like, I would consider My Summer Car sort of in this mix, because even though you don't build, there's a progression and a house and things to do thats sort of life-sim-ish.

I'm 'done' with Conan Exiles, My Summer Car, 7 Days to Die (actually saving this for friends again.) Not really interested in playing solo/PVE Ark, Rust. Not a huge fan of space engineers, I've bounced off of it several times. Same with TLD. I'd even take a more 'light' base building if its only customization. But then again maybe something like Stationeers could be fun. Basically, the problem is that I desperately want to play Open Sewer but the remake of it is still not available to play. Maybe its time to try Stardew again.

Sorry for being rambly, but wanted to see if goons had any niche games I haven't found before that fit this weird mix. Maybe the post is more appropriate for 'weird niche simulator games' instead, though.

Maybe check out Medieval Dynasty - it's first person and about building your own little town in medieval times, complete with followers that you can have join your town and go out and do tasks for you like chopping trees and hunting. No fantasy stuff, only enemies are animals. I think they plan to put in bandits at some point. It's still in early access, so it can be pretty janky, but it's not bad. There's also Farmer's Dynasty and Lumberjack Dynasty by the same people if you want modern day and like farming or cutting down trees. In those you don't build your own house or customize it much, but you can do some upgrades and whatnot.

Subnautica came to mind, if you haven't played it. I wouldn't really describe it as "homey" but you can build stuff and it's really pretty, and one of the survival games I enjoyed the most.

No Man's Sky kind of fits this bill for me as well. It's an easy game (unless you actually pick the "survival" mode, which I wouldn't recommend), and I end up flying around and finding a pretty planet I like with some cool creatures and spending a little time building a cool looking base there, and then I plop down a teleporter so I can come back to it when I want and go build something else somewhere else.

And this is a little off from what you recommended but it has weirdly enough scratched that same kind of itch for me that you are describing, and My Summer Car made me think of it: Car Mechanic Simulator or if you don't mind a futuristic setting, Mech Mechanic Simulator (which just came out and I've played a dumb amount of in the past few days), House Flipper, or even PC Building Simulator -- doing kind of simple, fiddly repair tasks to get money and unlocks and you can upgrade your shop/home with new machines and stuff.

Mentioning Open Sewer made me think of Landlord's Super, which is a game that would be like what you are looking for -- you fix up a trashed house and rent it out to tenants and it has life sim aspects like going down to the bar and washing dishes for money. But it's still in very early access and I can't recommend it yet. Right now it doesn't take all that long to get the house fixed up and then there's not much to do afterward. It may be one to put on your wishlist for later.

I've been waiting for that Open Sewer update forever as well and I hope it still happens.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Azhais posted:

They also just announced wild west dynasty

You could check out Raptor's channel on YouTube. He plays a lot of random survival building games maybe something will catch the eye

A couple others in that genre I follow are Peanut and MikesPCGaming, they both primarily do these kinda simulators.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Anime Store Adventure posted:

All good suggestions, though:
The dynasty games just feel a little lean right now, at least Medieval (the only one I've tried.) I want to like it, but it just doesn't grab. I might still try it again. Subnautica I've done, though not the expansion - may try that. No Man's Sky was honestly what I settled on - I leave it installed because this mood hits me once in awhile and its a great brainless game I can always pick up at any time, plus being able to kick back from my desk and play with my xbox controller is always relaxing.

Landlord's Super is absolutely the same vibe as Open Sewer and what I want, but like you mention, I got the sense it wasn't quite there yet.

The Mechanic sims are so close, too, and I think why I'm getting this itch. I got Mech Mechanic because of the 30% off coupon I had and I love it, but I want it to have just a little more. If they paired that with being able to build and customize and decorate your workshop and it were a little bit more My Summer Car instead of a more 'virtual' or sort of 'disconnected' fiddling, it would hit perfectly. If I could throw around parts and have to organize/find them instead of just menus and things... The repair stations like welding and rust cleaning hit well, but disassembling and reassembling feels too detached imo.

I feel like I might just settle for No Man's Sky until the urge passes. It's good and I hate to say 'settle' but its not quite there. I'd love My Summer Car again before they seemed to lean too heavily into dick-punching mechanics in the last set of patches. Loitse please hurry with Open Sewer's remake. :(

I'll take a peek at those youtube channels. I actually found a few games from Let's Game It Out, because despite his style of horribly breaking games, he picks ones that are interesting to me. Maybe I'll give Hydroneer another shot! It's fiddly and physical and has home building.

Ha, you're basically me. Let me know if you find anything cool that wasn't on these lists.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Chinook posted:

I bought that game when I was an actual child. I’m 40 now. Had a lifetime subscription, which at the time meant I got full updates. I don’t think that’s exactly how he sells it anymore but I definitely treasure that game.

I never got very good at it, despite my love for it.

Another lifetime subscription here. I usually get to the point where like, I've built a cabin and got to winter and then I have no idea what I want to do and end up starting a new run.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jawnycat posted:

So been playing Vintage Story, a very EA minecraft-like, but with a handful of mods (Expanded Foods for expanded foods, Primitive Survival for fishing and trap fences, and Wild Farming for a herb garden) and tweaked world settings it's closest I've had a game come to feeling like UnRealWorld but with, y'know, graphics. Still miles behind it of course, but still.

Slowly stocking up the cellar for winter and watching it's shelves and crates visibly fill has been super satisfying. As well as finally having real metal tools and a safe warm cabin and smithy instead of a messy fortified open air campsite in the middle of some ruins. Game also has some superb ambient soundwork and low-key music that fades in and out. But yeah, has allot of little fun tedious systems like pottery needing you to form the stuff out of miniblocks, cooking, food preservation, metallurgy, animal husbandry, crop rotation, having to actually bang hot ingots into the tool shape manually on the anvil using miniblocks again, tannery, putting an entire forest inside a charcoal pit and letting that simmer for a week.

Not much of a fan of the non-animal enemies tho, weird little midget Quake shamblers and rustyrobospiders in the underground. Also some kinda system where you can get sent to a shadow realm if you gently caress about in 'unstable' areas too much? And the curse of miniblocks; that's too much power to give my perfectionist brain, I never get anything done cuz I'm too busy trying to make a section of wall look neat for a literal hour.

Might as well throw in the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAsc8_Srx-c

Thanks for suggesting this, I lost pretty much my whole weekend to it. After starving to death my first day and also getting eaten by a hyena, I now have my farm up and cranking, a cellar full of food, and my first copper pickaxe and hammer. Now to just find enough copper to get my anvil up, so I can make a saw, so I can make all the stuff that needs boards...

I even have bees ready to split off into my own hive in a couple days. And this is all vanilla aside from installing the volumetric shading and the mod that lets you move full containers around. I'll have to check out the other foods and primitive survival mods, although at this point I don't think I really need them, I got food for like a year. But more stuff is always good.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
If you check out Vintage Story, one thing I only noticed through watching tutorial videos is that there are some serious customization options if you click the customize world settings when you create your world. Like, you can turn off dropping inventory when you die, change the rate of tool degradation and food spoilage, change the mining rate, change what temperature biome you start, change whether biomes generate realistically or "patchy," all sorts of stuff to change how hard it is or just to eliminate aspects you find annoying.

It also has a good system to mark points of interest in different colors and icons on your map which is nice.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I made bread in Vintage Story today. I'm not sure I've ever felt more accomplished in a video game. I had to make a bucket before I could make bread so I could carry the water, which means I needed to make a saw to make the boards for the bucket, which means I needed to make a copper anvil to forge the saw, which means I needed to make a copper pickaxe and hammer from surface deposits so I could get enough underground copper to make the anvil. Which means I needed a charcoal pit so I could generate enough heat to melt the copper and clay molds for my pick and hammer and prospecting pick.

And now I have bread, which is...I guess better bang for my buck on grain? But I was already getting enough food from my claypot cooked meals and my farm to have food forever. But it's bread and it took forever to make, so I'm proud of it.

Next up, figuring out how to cast alloys so I can make a bronze pick so I can mine iron

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 5, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jawnycat posted:

It has a wip in-game guidebook that provides some very basic on-boarding for some key systems, a simple progression guide and also functions as an object search and crafting guide: like minecraft mod's ubiquitous NEI; every item/object you can make has an entry that's just an extremely basic "used for x, made from y, crafted in z" but you can click the 'y' or 'z' or 'x' item and see what that's made from and so on and so forth so you can figure out how to make anything from the ground up using it or figure out what a thing can be used for all the way up to final end-product, albeit inconveniently.

Yeah, this is all in there, although I did end up looking at the wiki a lot and also watching some videos because it can be a bit overwhelming. There's zero in game tutorial, it just kind of dumps you in and says "hey check out the help files."

I ended up watching a few videos by this lady: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0X6CvP-adaAX7aXzScAvDiWxCdI87LML Mostly because she has a great very theatrical English accent. I can only imagine her smoking a cigarette in one of those long holders while she's playing.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I can't seem to find much on Vintage Story. Is it complete and worth getting? I haven't played Minecraft since 1.0 so this could be fun.

It's still considered early access or in development or whatever, but there's a lot in there at present and it seems pretty stable and solid. I guess the next update is supposed to be a big one for more variety in food and crops. As it is right now you can go from simple stone tools to making stuff out of clay to smelting copper to making alloys to eventually mining iron and making steel. There's crop growing with a basic need for crop rotation, animal husbandry (subsequent generations of captured animals get more docile), beekeeping, and some simple automation of certain machines with windmills. As far as I know there's no real story or endgame, aside from these weird "temporal storms" every so often that make it so that monsters can spawn in out of everywhere.

I get the feeling there's still a lot they want to add and from what I understand it's a small team and development has been pretty slow. But it's felt like there's enough there to make it well worth it for me, especially since it's only $18.

Koobze posted:

Yeah I am also interested in Vintage Story. How is the multiplayer? I am not a fan of minecraft graphics but from the sounds of it the gameplay is right up my alley, and if the multiplayer's decent I think I could get my wife onboard for some co-op wilderness breadbaking.

I have not tried the multiplayer but there's plenty of videos out there doing it and seems like what you'd expect. Vintage Story even rents out server hosting so I suppose it better be pretty solid if they are willing to take it that far.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 5, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vib Rib posted:

This is the sort of example I come back to when I think of survival games and mods that try to make tech trees but don't really know the order of stuff. People were eating bread in the stone age, you definitely don't need lumberworking to make bread, let alone carry water. But I guess realism isn't really the goal here. Just feels weird to unlock something as basic as bread so late.

I was being a little tongue in cheek about it because it feels like bread fell off the place it should be on the progression tree. Once I knew what I was doing on a restart, I was able to cook high nutrition meals like stew or porridge using a clay cook pot on day two. And I can understand why they gated finished planks behind having a real saw, because for the most part those are used to make more "fancy" stuff like real doors, or nice looking planks for building, or a finished chest to store stuff in instead of a big clay pot. But for whatever reason, a bucket is necessary to make bread dough even though I have a pot that can hold stew already. And you can't have a bucket without planks!

Anyway, like I said earlier, they're doing some kind of rework/expansion of cooking stuff in the next patch, whenever that may be, so it might get remedied. But for now it was a fun goal to set.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I ended up picking it up, and it's pretty engaging so far!

I knew enemies would spawn my first night, and I still jumped when ol' octopus face whacked me from the side before I shanked his bitch rear end.

If you like a little breathing room next time you start, you can set it in "customize world" to give you a day (or two, or three, or maybe more) before they start spawning so you have time to build your filthy mud hut the first night without getting shanked. Those guys are real jerks :mad:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Got a link to these? I might give this game a go.

All the mods I've used or looked at are hosted off the main game site: https://mods.vintagestory.at/list/mod

The two I mentioned are: Carry Capacity and Volumetric Shading. The other stuff people have talked about (that I haven't tried) like Expanded Foods and Primitive Survival are all on that site as well.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

explosivo posted:

Subnautica: Below Zero came out today and I managed to remain pretty much completely unspoiled on everything in the game so I'm looking forward to diving in (heh). I loved Subnautica but cheated the poo poo I needed for the very last parts of the game because I was pretty much over it at that point. If this is a slightly more contained experience with similar but new gameplay then I think I'll be pretty happy.

I loved the hell out of Subnautica, so I'm also really excited to jump into Below Zero. One of the few times I've resisted an Early Access release just because I wanted to play the full product in its final state.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

If you're shooting mainly for not-starving pick one root vegetable (turnips seem like the hardiest, if you don't want to be hassled by heat/cold loving with your yields), make a ton of redmeat+veggie meals. You can fill crocks from multiple cooking pots if they all contain the same recipe, so making as much of the same thing as possible for your winter hoard is strongly incentivized and will end with you having to spend a lot less time hoarding food. You get huge health+performance bonuses for incorporating as many different food sources as you can, though, so once you've got the basics for survival down it's definitely still worthwhile to incorporate grain (or make bread, which is crazy efficient if you're not trying to be some kind of wandering nomad) and pick berries when you can get them

honey (for fruit preserves) and dairy don't seem worth the hassle tbqh, Vintage Story kinda suffers from a huge gulf in complexity where top-level technology (steel, animal husbandry) are a huge pain in the rear end that no challenge currently present in the game can justify. Maybe they make more sense on one of those MP servers where everyone's playing a villager that just does one specialized job over and over all day. Part of the logic of gating basic conveniences like 'transporting water' behind items like buckets higher up in the tech tree rather than letting you do it with a clay pot day 1 is just to give you some incentive to bother developing past the stone age, when everything you actually need day-to-day can be managed with just a couple rocks to bang together. It's more gamey but it's shooting for a different and more chill approach than all the "realistic" survival games that add challenge mainly in the form of randomly having you sprain an ankle and go into an irreversible death spiral.

Beekeeping seems worth it in small amounts for the wax - lanterns are a good permanent light source and being able to seal the crocks makes them last effectively forever, which is less important for crocks in your cellar but nice for ones to carry around with you if you're going on an expedition. You can seal with fat, too, but beekeeping is super routine once you've found bees and transferred them back to your base in a skep. I don't use honey for jam, but it is an easy addition to porridge.

Also a couple of really excellent mods I added to my current game:
VSProspectorInfo=puts an overlay on your map that you can turn on and off which records the prospecting pick result you got for that chunk. Very nice for remembering "Now where the hell did I see lead?" and also for finding the peak area for digging an exploratory shaft.

Necessities=adds a few craftable things, the biggest for me being a trash can (no more trying to throw my junk in the river and run away before I autopick it up again). There's also a grindstone to repair tools which at first I thought might be too cheaty, but it isn't easy to make (you need to at least be in the bronze age, and find sulphur and lead as well).

I agree that some of the high end stuff, steel in particular, doesn't seem worth the hassle, but to me it's just kind of an endgame goal. I'm just now to creating iron stuff, and I feel like creating a full set of steel armor will be when I feel like I've basically beaten everything that's in the game now and I can just build a giant castle or whatever.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
haha I got super lucky and ran into bees like ten minutes into my current run

It got balanced out by taking FOREVER to find any tin or bismuth to get me into bronze

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
You could check out Space Haven (still in early access), which is more of a Rimworld/Dwarf Fortress style, but you build a ship and manage oxygen and temperature and energy and food and jump your ship to different sectors where you can mine and meet other ships and stuff.

There's also Space Engineers, but I found that to be pretty lacking once you actually build a ship and get it into space, there's not all that much to do, aside from searching forever for uranium to build a real reactor. Making a mining craft and all the assemblers and stuff on the planet and building a ship for the first time I found to be a lot of fun though.

Like the poster above me said, Stationeers is a whole different thing and I'd recommend watching a few videos on that before making a decision. It looked a touch too complex systems wise for me.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 21, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Major Isoor posted:

So, how often should you be applying milkweed? And does cleaning the wound (as in, regularly - after applying the herbs) remove the benefits of herbs? Since in the past I would clean the wound, apply milkweed and then bandage it. Then probably the next day I'll just clean the wound and bandage, then depending on severity I'll either apply another milkweed or just wrap it up again. Should I be doing things differently?

milk weed every day

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I like VS a lot and didn't have trouble with travel times, but I set the biome generation to "patchy" (or something like that) in my world generation, so I had more random biomes sprinkled around rather than having them more striated, so maybe that helped. I liked having to prepare for a multi-day trip from time to time to get certain materials, that didn't bother me.

The real downside for me was how grindy it got in the upper tiers. Even getting basic iron production going was something of a chore, but at least do-able and fairly rewarding. Steel? Forget about it, and definitely don't try it solo unless you're ready to just shut off your brain and mine forever while listening to podcasts:

quote:

For one cementation furnace, the player would need:

6 iron plates = 12 iron ingots
8 whole granite or andesite blocks
920 fireclay, which is about 15 stacks
59 mortar
460 of each powdered ingredient needed, depending on tier, which is about 8 stacks each

Also, food is a major concern at the start and then once you get a clay cooking pot and a few farm fields going and build a cellar, it's basically never an issue again.

I haven't tried it since the latest patch, I guess there is some new farming stuff, but I got iron production up, got about halfway through making steel, had more food stocked than I could ever eat, and basically felt like I beat the game and never came back to it. It's the same issue I have with games like Minecraft. Once I get all the survival stuff under control and have basic buildings in place and decent gear, I never really have the creative drive to want to build something fancy and pretty. Still, I had fun with it and I imagine I'll revisit it at some point if there are major additions.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It took awhile my first time. I ended up restarting because I switched computers and it was a lot quicker once I knew what I was doing. Still, getting to the iron age was a process and there's lot of optional stuff you can do like beekeeping and animal husbandry. I want to say I was at least 20-30 hours in before I got to where I felt like I had nothing left to do but try for steel or build a fancy house. I still feel like the game was worth the money I paid for it, and I will come back to it at some point.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HelloSailorSign posted:

I'm trying to get the hang of this whole prospecting pick thing in Vintage Story, and it seems in my area (granite) there's appallingly low amounts of tin ore so uh... about that T3 metal thing.

I panned enough bony soil to get silver/gold to make black bronze, but that pick's about 1/3 to done after mining loads of quartz hoping for a gold/silver node.

It took me FOREVER to figure out how to effectively use the prospecting pick, and finding tin can be a real pain. Some things to realize:

In density search mode, it's going to give you the same results for everything in the same "chunk" (map square you are standing on). Only the first block you destroy matters, the other two are just there to make prospecting a non-trivial task.

What you want to do is find any chunk with any appreciable amount of what you're looking for, and then use that as a starting point to find the "local peak" for that ore. Meaning that there will be a chunk with the highest percentage of ore somewhere, and then a lot of chunks with less surrounding it, like a heat map almost. So if you're seeing, say, 0.5%, move a few chunks in one direction, pro-pick again, and see if that percentage goes up or down. If it went down, try the other direction. If it went up, keep going in that direction until it peaks and starts to go down again. Then find the peak on the other axis. In this way, you can go from that crappy 0.5% which may just be the very edge of the ore area to a more respectable percentage. Then start digging shafts down and use the node search mode (if you have that enabled) to find what you're looking for.

There's also a good mod here that will keep track of your prospecting info as on overlay on your map: https://mods.vintagestory.at/vsprospectorinfo, which is where I first saw the description of finding a "local peak." I like it because it's not really cheating, it doesn't tell you anything you didn't actually prospect, but it can keep track of where you've seen ore percentages without having to drop markers all over your map and manually fill them in. It can also be helpful to see when you've moved to a different chunk.

Also, don't be afraid to prospect underwater. You can't drown, and the local peak can be at the bottom of an ocean. Well, at least you couldn't drown in the previous version, I haven't tried the newest release yet.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 5, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

explosivo posted:

If you were interested in Medieval Dynasty, it's hitting 1.0 next month (9/23) and the price is going to go up a couple bucks so maybe grab it now before then. Game's great, I've been waiting to check it out since they've been adding a bunch to it in EA but now I might as well just wait.

I played some of it VERY early on, I may have to loop back to it after the full release.

Speaking of those types of games, Farmer's Life came out in Early Access a few days ago and it seems like My Summer Car mixed with Farmer's Dynasty. I watched someone stream it and it has some interesting mechanics, but boy the opening tutorial is bleak. Your guy sells off all his tools and animals because of his overwhelming alcoholism and depression.

Has farming, hunting, fishing, fighting and doing quests for townspeople, all that good stuff, although I don't know how much is implemented yet. Reviews are mixed right now since it is apparently very buggy, sometimes eating save files, and people are saying that time is running way too fast, but it seems like one to keep an eye on for the future at least.

Here is a guy named Peanut who does a lot of these types of games playing the tutorial and first couple days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcXwn6xeBxc

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 10, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yeah Voidtrain is one that I think looks cool as hell, but from watching some people on Twitch play it for awhile, I think I'm content to let it cook a little more in Early Access and see where it comes out.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HelloSailorSign posted:

In Vintage Story I have spent hours and hours exploring the surface, prospecting new areas for signs of iron ore, but also more gold/silver to continue making black bronze to keep making tools. I’d find a little gold and silver and know I’d have enough material to keep hunting for iron. I made shaft after shaft trying to locate iron veins to no avail.

I found an area where I got a “decent” reading of hematite and make my way back home, planning how many ladders I should bring over. I’ve only got two hours or so of daylight, but I can meander a bit in case I find something useful. I see a 2x2 depression in the ground, note openness under, and think, “ah, natural shaft, eh those never have anything but gotta check anyway….” Especially since I’ve been back and forth over this region over a dozen times.

And lo did I see 20 blocks down reddish brown blotches in the local granite stone and, carefully making my way down, discovered a huge vein of rich hematite. I mined about 10 out before I remembered it was going to be night soon and ran home, making the last leg for the bright patch in the distance unable to see the ground at my feet.

But iron! I found it! IRON!

Congratulations. One nice thing is that hematite veins when you find them tend to be quite large, so you'll have enough iron like, forever.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HelloSailorSign posted:

Steel seems needlessly complicated for little benefit particularly while rolling in piles of iron bloom. I’ve also not got a source of bauxite or titanium ore for better refractory blocks.

I got about halfway through the process of making a cementation furnace and gave up. Seems like something that might be tolerable if you have a group of people in multiplayer but it's just SO MUCH collecting materials.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Drone posted:

The shark is the most annoying part about Raft.

It shouldn't be "every ten minutes (or whatever) the shark respawns and you have to deal with it", it should be "every 10 minutes there's a % chance of the shark spawning" that can be raised and lowered based on how you build your raft.

At first I was super pissed that Voidtrain has a space shark, but it seems like it only appears once per zone and once it dies, it's dead. So you just have to park the train and shoot the dumb thing for a couple minutes and it's done. Because, yeah, I was having Raft flashbacks.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I think the only way I ever successfully killed anything in Vintage Story (aside from basic drifters who you can just poke three times with whatever), is to lure it into a pit and then stand on the edge and jab it with a spear. Never got the hang of actually doing anything useful with a bow.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vib Rib posted:

From people I've talked to, the two big complaints seem to be 1. No passive income, in the style of Raft's nets, and 2. No way to seek out specific resources. There's a driller or extractor or something you unlock, and it seemed at first glance like something you might, for example, bring out to distant islands to get large quantities of ore in huge chunks. But instead it turns out to just be yet another processing station. If you're full up on X, Y, and Z resources, but you need more of A, in most survival games, you could go to where A is found. Dig deep for diamonds in MInecraft, chunk out to the woods in the Forest for logs, search swamps for ore in Valheim, check caves for lithium in Subnautica. But in Void Train, every resource is found in the same place. There's no way to seek out metal specifically, you just wait for it to float by the same way you do everything else, and in the same quantities. It's the first few minutes of Raft, where all you can do is pickup what floats near you, but stretched out into a dozen hours.
The tedious processing sure doesn't help either. Fuel, especially at higher tiers, is very rare and valuable, but you're burning it nonstop just trying to get your items made. But even free, it's just so much cooking, smelting, and processing while meters slowly tick down.

Also, having to spend all the resources to research something and then having spend all those same resources AGAIN to build it. When you research something it should give you a free one to place, or just have a tree where you can only build things once you've built the lower level things, or have research costs be less, or something. It's just super disheartening and not much fun for to the player to go through all that resource gathering to build something and have the game go "great! now get all that again to actually make one!"

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

lordfrikk posted:

I wished more games made hunger and eating more interesting. I played the original Subnautica without hunger/thirst and liked it a lot. I'm trying to play Below Zero with both (~30 hours) and it's just so boring. The only difference between food/water is how much it fills you up and cooking is done with a 3D printer (???). At this point I wish they completely removed it from the game instead of giving players these boring survival trappings in an otherwise good (non-survival) game.

There's some games that use hunger and thirst in interesting ways. Subnautica is not one of them, in my opinion. I played everything with it turned off, it just seemed like tedium, both because of limited inventory space and having to get back to a fabricator to make food/water if you don't have any on you.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Here's' what I said earlier in the thread about finding the local peak for ore using the propick in Vintage Story (minus the mod which I guess is broken now):

quote:

It took me FOREVER to figure out how to effectively use the prospecting pick, and finding tin can be a real pain. Some things to realize:

In density search mode, it's going to give you the same results for everything in the same "chunk" (map square you are standing on). Only the first block you destroy matters, the other two are just there to make prospecting a non-trivial task.

What you want to do is find any chunk with any appreciable amount of what you're looking for, and then use that as a starting point to find the "local peak" for that ore. Meaning that there will be a chunk with the highest percentage of ore somewhere, and then a lot of chunks with less surrounding it, like a heat map almost. So if you're seeing, say, 0.5%, move a few chunks in one direction, pro-pick again, and see if that percentage goes up or down. If it went down, try the other direction. If it went up, keep going in that direction until it peaks and starts to go down again. Then find the peak on the other axis. In this way, you can go from that crappy 0.5% which may just be the very edge of the ore area to a more respectable percentage. Then start digging shafts down and use the node search mode (if you have that enabled) to find what you're looking for.

Also, don't be afraid to prospect underwater. You can't drown, and the local peak can be at the bottom of an ocean. Well, at least you couldn't drown in the previous version, I haven't tried the newest release yet.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, needing sticks early on was for the ore tunnels I intended to dig straight down, but after finding out surface copper deposits were 100% accurate and direct I realized that wasn't an obstacle.

Seems like a good reason to set the polar distance way, way down in the worldgen, then. 100k is the default so maybe a small fraction of that is reasonable.

You can also change climate distribution in worldgen to "patchy" instead of realistic, which will generate biomes all over the place rather then always having tundra north and jungles south so that you have a chance to actually run into them.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CuddleCryptid posted:

That's the thing, I fully disagree with this statement. Subnautica had you explore as a person going through a living world packed with animals and plants that seemed to fit into a proper ecosystem. Planet Crafter, from what I saw from the demo, takes place on a barren rock full of wrecks and debris. They couldn't be any more different.

Yes Subnautica had some barren areas but it's the lively nature of the other areas that made them stand out, and there was usually a reason why they were so depopulated.

Is the idea that it's going to become less barren and maybe even start having wildlife as you fix the environment? I thought that was the whole point of Planet Crafter, that you're essentially terraforming it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
So here's something that kind of feels like it's in the My Summer Car vein which I just found this weekend:

The Slavarian Trucker, used to be called The Wasteland Trucker before the developer got a legal threat from Microsoft for using "Wasteland."

It's like some unholy mix of My Summer Car and Euro Truck Simulator in a post apocalyptic (I think) environment. You drive from shithole city to shithole city and deliver goods for money so you have enough to buy water and booze and food to stay alive. It is extremely early access and extremely janky. Like, you have to load all the goods into the back of your truck by hand and half the time if two things touch they'll launch out of the truck and across the street and of course poo poo will fly out of the back of your truck if you hit a bump. Luckily, it's not a big deal if you don't deliver the whole cargo, you get paid by the piece.

I can't say it's a good game. It's unfinished and does the typical whacked out physics stuff you expect from a one-dev indie Unity project but...it's compelling me for some reason.

Look at this load screen. Look at the "don't press load if you haven't started a new game" warning. Look at the "Windows 7 users check this box." Amazing.

Look at this tutorial screen and the incredible run on sentence telling you how to replace a part.

Look at this map. You don't have a GPS or waypoints in this world. You have this garbage map and a compass if you remembered to grab it from your starter house.

Look at this horribly textured shitpile truck.

It's even uglier on the inside.

Look at these shacks where you can pick up jobs.

LOOKIT THIS DUDE

here's a trailer from the dev's twitter:
https://twitter.com/FrankBudai/status/1464943461141041160?s=20&t=WB2ZFo6fwzOj9ryC6fqaKg

It's all so ugly but I love it for some reason. The truck handles like an absolute boat, can barely go up a hill in second gear, and takes forever to brake. My cargo flies everywhere all the time. My radiator is leaking, I think, and I pissed in it to top off the fluids. It may get better if I ever scrape up the money to buy new parts. Apparently there's also drug smuggling and you can find other cars and tow them back to your place and fix them up, and who knows what else.

Anyway, I only recommend it if you don't mind figuring out how things work from the barely readable tutorial screens and can handle jank, but it definitely has that My Summer Car feel and it is under active development (he just added rain and cooking within the last month). And it's only $11.99. I'd love to see it get more attention since this kind of thing is right up my alley but I didn't hear anything about it when it came out back in December.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

dogstile posted:

That's a pretty solid subnautica burn, actually.

Yeah, but lampshading it and still making the player do it just makes the player feel like a idiot for continuing on with the game.

They could do the same "dumb useless time wasting gadget" bit but then give you some shortcut/trick/NPC to bypass it. Then they'd have made the same joke while also making their game look superior and having the player be in on the joke instead of put out by it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yeah Among Trees has a really cool visual style but there's not a ton there to do. I played about 9 hours of it and felt like I did everything in the game. Kinda seems like a game where they just didn't make enough money to keep working on it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vib Rib posted:

Honestly my biggest problem with Vintage Story is prospecting. You need the optional, off-by-default method to even have a reasonable chance, but even with it on, at default ore spawn rates you're going to be wandering vast overland areas just digging little short boreholes in the ground here and there just to try and find a trace of whatever one material is bottlenecking you. It's so tedious and it's the same problem Terrafirma Craft had, just unreasonable amounts of wandering because all the biomes and ore deposits are so spaced out. Finding ore sucks and it's not enjoyable and next time I play I'll probably just turn on an xray cheat or something because I don't feel a single thing is gained, gameplay-wise, by prospecting.

I've posted this before in this thread, but I'll requote it in case it helps you or anyone else with ore:

StarkRavingMad posted:

There's also a good mod here that will keep track of your prospecting info as on overlay on your map: https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/1235, which is where I first saw the description of finding a "local peak." I like it because it's not really cheating, it doesn't tell you anything you didn't actually prospect, but it can keep track of where you've seen ore percentages without having to drop markers all over your map and manually fill them in. It can also be helpful to see when you've moved to a different chunk.

Finding out that you could trace ore deposits back to a local peak rather than them just being randomly strewn across the map helped me a lot.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Disappointing Pie posted:

Is Vintage Story fun solo? I've been trying to find a survival / management / base building game that can suck me in again.

I thought it was fun solo. There comes a point where it's going to be a terrible grind to get to the next level of materials solo (if you want to make steel), but it's not like there's any special enemies that need that level of metal or anything, you're mostly doing it just to say you did it at that point.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vasudus posted:

I absolutely loved Space Engineers because of how much of a sandbox it was. You could get as relatively simple or complicated as you wanted. My chief complaint is that there's not a lot of NPC support, which the new new DLC they're working on might fix with the greatly expanded autonomous grid tech. I wanted to build a cool VTOL ship last week so I hopped in to creative mode and built it + blueprinted it for an eventual survival playthrough when they add the next DLC.

I liked Space Engineers right up until I actually got to space. Making mining craft and getting materials and building a spacecraft was all super cool. There didn't seem to be much interesting to do in space other than looking for uranium. I haven't played it for a long time, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Danaru posted:

I genuinely thought the game was being so unfunny on purpose, and that was the "ironic" part of it. Until I saw someone mention the "Mr. Libtard" poster which just painted a perfect picture of the kind of people 'writing' this and how completely sincerely they thought they were being funny

I got to the joke that haha survival games make you go on pointless crafting quests so we're going to make you do a pointless crafting fetch quest thing and actually call it a pointless crafting thing and I refunded it.

It was already grating on me before that, but that was when I realized that it wasn't going to get any better.