Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Fewd posted:

We really do have a shortage of survival games without monsters and this makes me sad because I want The Long Dark to be good :(

Oh well, maybe another 6-12 months.

The Long Dark's wolves are just the game's version of monsters, though. Wolves do not actually act like that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Phigs posted:

The refresh is an important part of it too. If you're just looting an open world you're reducing the loot in your area and will eventually run out but with a raid format you're not depleting anything. Every raid is the same tier, where in an open world you're slowly going to worse and worse places as you go through the best places to loot things. Makes me think that a survival game where you have to stay nomadic as you loot everything around you and move on would be interesting.

this is why whenever i've played cataclysm dda i always end up making a post apocalyptic RV as a home base with which to travel between towns

something like that without the permadeath could be fun

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Edilaic posted:

Is traditional Japanese carpentry just cheating in that world? That said, it'd be neat if some of the games had skillbooks you could read that would fundamentally transform the recipes you could make, like using more wood but no nails, or substituting glue for nails, or whatnot.

satisfactory does that, though its survival elements are thoroughly vestigal