Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

mrmcd posted:

Similarly, teching up to the high tiers from scratch every mission is also tedious if you're trying to move through missions quickly.

This is what really got me, beautiful game with some relaxing scenery but after starting my 4th mission I quickly realized, I've done this exact same thing already and I'm going to keep doing it every single mission, why am I spending my free time on this? It was novel a few times but that wears off quick.

I think the concept of having to rebuild constantly is very flawed for anyone who values their time, even more so than it is for survival crafting games in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Oysters Autobio posted:

I think one thing is that it's almost like a 1:1 copy of the first. Same mechanics, same map type, same game flow. It didn't really introduce enough new things to do that I found was enough to keep me grinding to build up my base.

Yah I bounced off it too even though I was pretty hyped. Going in from the trailers I was expecting it to be a lot more refined with significantly different game loop and instead, at least at first blush, it really felt the same with many of the same issues. The combat in particular I expected to be much improved but it felt the same and that was one of the things that most needed improvement from the first. Also good as the first one was it was only on my third playthrough that I finally finished the game and came to the realization that unfortunately the entire base building portion of the game was nothing more than a distraction, vibes that I kind of picked up playing the second for a few hours.

I'm sure I'll try it again but at this point I don't think it'll be anytime soon. I don't regret buying it but I wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
There seem to be certain objects/spots in The Forest that birds are just ridiculously attracted to and they will just repeatedly land right in front of you allowing you to collect the maximum of bird meat at will. The entire survival and building portion of The Forest can basically be ignored which is disappointing to learn, but once you actually start exploring the caves and advancing the game it becomes very apparent. The only thing you ever NEED to build is the little temporary shelter of leaves and sticks to occasionally save and there's literally infinite soda and energy bars above and below ground because everything constantly respawns.

I bounced off the sequel right as it went EA and haven't gone back to it but from what I've heard the above is mostly(entirely?) true for it as well. It's really to bad the ascetics and building mechanics in The Forest feel really novel and satisfying compared to a lot of other survival games but the pointlessness of it combined with the ramping mutant attack mechanics makes it seem really futile.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Does that even work on Polar Bears?

I've never had a problem with regular ones but Polar Bears seem to have some giant hit radius added to them, it feels like I can try to joust, and the hit will still register even if I'm now behind the bear. I've had to resort to using traps to kill them.