Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Subnautica is a game I wish I could find a way to force myself to forget so I could play it for the first time all over again. It's such an absolute wonder to experience with no idea what is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Gromit posted:

Yeah, agreed. Sub Zero was okay, but didn't nearly provide that same feeling.

Agreed, subzero was a very solid "meh". Truck was neat, game felt short, zones weren't as awe inspiring. Glad it covered the story I guess but didn't fill it's big sibling's shoes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Ark is best played on a private server with friends and 10x or more taming speeds, no decay, and so on. I really enjoyed getting together with friends in an evening and finally downing and taming a high level quetzal, then defending it in the complete rear end end of nowhere where it dropped, but only for a few minutes not the 6 hours or some bullshit that default values are.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
All the bears are pretty easy once you figure out their pattern. Jousting with them solves your problem at first, then you get a hunting rifle and blast them in the face from half a mile away and that bear doesn't even become a problem to solve.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I played base Icarus like six months ago and got pretty pissed off that they're releasing "DLC"s while still not having a finished product. Haven't gone back since.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
For the price I certainly can't complain much, I played Necesse for enough hours to make it worth it. Gave up on it though when I got to maybe the third or fourth biome. It felt really, really flat without much going on once you figured out the basics. I did enjoy figuring out buckets/shovels and being able to make my home base a waterway taxi zone.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Inzombiac posted:

Spent a lot of time on Palworld and absolutely adore it.
I'm hooked pretty hard as well, definitely going to be my game for a good long while.

That said....

I want some kind of tranquilizer ammunition and a "subdue don't kill" mode for my pal. It's really common for me to kill the things I'm trying to capture and that adds up to a lot of frustration when it happens over and over.

Armor also breaks way too god drat fast. I just gave up even trying to repair the stuff.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Am I doing something wrong or is this expected behavior with Enshrouded? I kinda get trees respawning, and maybe even rocks, but it looks like the ground is respawning too. I've dug out the same patch of flint or whatever right next to the starting area four times now. Not sure how you'd make an underground base if this stuff keeps filling back in.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The answer I eventually landed on was to not buy stuff straight as much. If I'm interested put it on my Steam wishlist and then buy it on sale years later when it's done and cheaper.

Edit: Frostpunk 2 will probably be breaking this trend.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Inzombiac posted:

8 foot tall leaping butthole

I giggle when some things are taken out of context.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Evil Kit posted:

Icarus just added Networks and Batteries (both for electricity and water) finally and the devs just announced the next major update: an overhaul to mounts! Including the ability to bring your mount back up from Icarus to orbit to deploy on other missions, a mount talent tree, and two new workshop exclusive mounts that have some unique resources they can acquire.

Most importantly: petting mounts will finally be implemented.

Icarus has honestly become my zen game, even after accidentally overwriting my open world instance with a t4 base. Gave me a good excuse to move to the Riverlands finally and start up something new over there. I may actually consider slapping down the money for some of the new area expansions.

How much of what is locked behind the DLC? I had a pretty good time in EA right before launch, and then for a while after launch, and then the DLC came out super fast and annoyed me enough to uninstall. Haven't been back since.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's been a while since I played Icarus, isn't there a talent or tool or something that increases yield from animals? I remember something giving me more per kill so I could headshot one or two deer and be done with almost everything until I wanted to come back for a suit of armor.

That and dropping with an unlocked pick that could mine iron and a smelter already in my drop pod made the start take like 5 minutes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Vib Rib posted:

Played this mod once and it ended up just being really boring after the first hour because all these things did -- especially decompression sickness, but really just as a central example -- made everything go really slow and tedious. It goes from interesting challenge to artificial slowdown almost instantly.

That's unfortunately how it sounds from reading the above. I'll probably try it anyway though on my every-few-years replay of Subnautica. If they had done the sequels this way it would have been really cool. Playing through a new Subnautica storyline with the above mechanics might be a fresh new interpretation.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Vib Rib posted:

I definitely think the mechanics could be fun instead of obnoxious but you'd have to build and balance the game around it from the start. As tacked-on features there's not enough infrastructure in the game to support it.

...god I hope we get a Subnautica 2 (3, whatever) someday soon.

Sadly I don't think they'll be able to capture the magic again. Dunno what it was about sub zero but it didn't feel as good.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

HelloSailorSign posted:

Helldivers 2.

It's survival. :colbert:

Very, very briefly survival. Then you explode in a shower of gore democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Antigravitas posted:

I wish Planet Crafter wasn't an idle game but had actual mechanics. I was so bored after I figured out how it worked.

I did legit leave the game on over night a few times. Get home from work, increase what I could with the resources available to make number go up faster, then go to bed and let it run until I got home the next day. Not the most enjoyable game play element I'll say that. Some of the other stuff was neat like the exploration and all but it was all trivialized pretty quick by just lettings things run and improve the atmosphere to where I could do stuff longer and longer without interference. Death having zero penalty didn't help. Strip nekkid, stuff everything in a closet, then just let yourself starve to death over and over the whole time. Who cares? When I got back I was in a better position than when I left.