Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

From several pages ago but that movie is awesome! It might have been discussed already even.

You want to know how you can tell a kid is a bad kid:

1) He just moved back from the city.
2) He has a belt buckle.

Also more swarthy than the good Mormon brood, and vaguely Hispanic. Though I think the wardrobe person on that movie took their cues from Suicidals more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

A Winner is Jew posted:

:wtc: are we doing giving those things to states like NM, OK, SC, TN, AL, LA for?

War's winding down, and production was halted in 2012. The contractors still want to make money, so keeping them in service for parts and maintenance is just good business.

ReidRansom posted:

This is a really good idea, honestly. It seems every bumfuck little town has a police Humvee they got free through a surplus program, but they'd be put to far better use as ambulances/rescue vehicles for rural paramedics. A bit of googling tells me this isn't terribly common for whatever reason.

A lot of rural roads and bridges aren't built to handle them.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 15, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Mr. Obama, build up this wall!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluxqvz0KyM

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Or better yet make a thread for idiots to respond to him.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Paul MaudDib posted:

We don't need gangs of slaves or menial laborers tilling the earth in 2014, buy yourself a tractor.

Nah we still have those, usually they're called prisoners or Mexicans these days.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Pohl posted:

I've seen a ton of farmland where I live sold off and turned into subdivisions. They are an hour out of town, but they are cheap, so people buy them up like crazy. This has been happening for decades now, and the developers keep buying more land and the suburbs keep getting farther and farther from town.

Are those suburbs rural or urban? That is what I meant to say, I realize I made a crappy comment that didn't really reflect the intention of what I had in mind.

They're called exurbs. All the lovely parts of suburbs plus the worst elements of rural life without the benefits of either. Basically it's where older white people are concentrating as minorities fill up older suburbs when they're pushed out by gentrification.

There was a pretty good book about exurban growth a few years back called Searching for Whitopia.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Technogeek posted:

If we're changing the topic to "poo poo suburban white people seem to believe about black people", my parents always insisted on locking the car doors when driving through Detroit.

On an interstate highway.

You should lock your car doors anyway so they can't accidentally open. Seems silly, but if you get in a serious enough accident they got the jaws of life and your car's gonna be a loss anyway as far as insurance goes so gently caress it. A lot of newer cars in the past couple years have automatic door locks which activate when you get above about 10mph or so for that reason. Or because it knows you're about to go through the rough part of town. Whichever.

ReindeerF posted:

EDIT: Actually, it's not an old man thing, I have a lifelong hatred of people who elevate their hobbies to stupid levels of status and talk about them overly seriously. It started with spending every weekend as a child sailing - and sailing means at the most working class dike (not beach) ever on a Hobie Cat. People can't just enjoy stuff, they have to be pretentious. It's annoying. Just be who you are and enjoy what you do. Easy peasy Japanesey!

Don't hang out with any marathon runners. At least with (proper) boating there is a relatively high level of investment and learning curve involved, and not just buying some fancy shoes before subscribing to enthusiast magazines and slapping oval stickers all over your Subaru Forester.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 22, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

Great, now my mind is going over what that shrine to capitalism would look like, what would be its fetish objects and so on. The almighty dollar of course, but also something that represents blow and hookers I think. What kind of ritual action would be performed in front of it?

Malcolm Gladwell would serve as docent and the interpretative tour would take the form of a TED talk.

Mister Macys posted:

Why do the Marines even need a hover jet when there's already Cobras, Apaches, and the Osprey? Is it just for the stealth element?

They can't quit the Harrier no matter how hard they try.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
d) He's even more of a water carrier for Obama than Ezra Klein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ufarn posted:

Let's please forget the painful minutes where Cheney was the functioning president of the United States of God Help Us.

Yeah January 20, 2001 – January 20, 2009 really sucked a fat one.

Mad Hamish posted:

Can someone explain this whole tan suit thing? I've looked it up and I'm terribly confused as to what the issue is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuoiRr6hLjg&t=186s

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 30, 2014

• Locked thread