Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I honestly don't think Perry is going to suffer politicially for this in particular. His voters see it as exactly what a good politician should be doing - using his power to force out the "bad guys", and when he can't using it to cripple them and the organizations they lead.

Hell, this is what a good chunk of congress was recently elected almost explicitly to do.

He's going to be hailed for having the courage to stand up to the Democratic legal machine and its threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

BiggerBoat posted:

Let's see here. All ready for school. Got my pen, my paper, my books, my homework, my computer and my lunch. Off I...OH poo poo! I forgot my KNIFE!

Number of times I've needed a pocket knife through my entire education: ZERO.

I used mine a couple times. At the very least, there's plenty of lunches a knife can make more pleasant to it (I don't know why cutting fresh food into bite size chunks makes them so much more enjoyable, but it really does). Usually though the school will provide one in situations where you are likely to need it at school (art class, for example) unless it's one of those zero-tolerance-maximum-stupidity schools that say knives are always weapons and there's never a valid use for one.

I mostly used mine for after school but before I came home which often entailed spending at least an hour or two playing in the woods where a knife can be really useful. I certainly consider my time in the woods part of my education, even if it wasn't part of my formal education, and wood carving is a great thing to learn and a great way to pass time while on a long boring walk. They're also useful for sizing and cutting rope, and rope is like one of the most fun and educational things to play with as a kid. Or at least it was for me.

Not that Bundy and his family aren't morons, but they certainly can be useful educational tools for the sort of hands-on education and materials-shaping that I really loved as a kid.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I was kind of afraid it was too subtle compared to people talking about "coloring perceptions" and what not. Glad to see someone got it.
I got it and thought it was pretty good too, just didn't know what sort of comment would be worth making about it beyond silent appreciation.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Usually the school provides utensils for lunch. You know, the lovely plastic ones that you can't actually use on other human beings. You don't need to bring a pocket knife to school.

Hence the whole "usually the school will provide one" comment? Usually one appropriate to the task at hand.

There are few things that are actually necessary to bring to school.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 29, 2014

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Where would you rank "knife"?

I mean OK. It's cool that that yours came in handy "a couple of times" and all that, when you had to cut an apple or carve a pinewood derby car, but seriously. Is "knife" before or after "claw hammer", "acetylene torch", "BB Gun" or "ice pick"? So, between the two of us, a knife came in handy exactly TWICE, if I'm doing the math correctly, and both times it was in an "Oh. How convenient" way? I don't think preventing 14 year old kids from bringing weapons to school constitutes fascism or a violation of the 2nd Amendment.

My parents would have dressed me down and threatened to kick my rear end if I decided to bring a loving knife to school. I look forward to sending my child to a school that disallows knives.

I think you may be an idiot.

I'm fine with saying kids can't bring their own knives to school (although I think it's fine for a teenager to have a pocketknife outside it for sure).

I'm not fine with people spouting idiocy about how knives have no use and can never be involved in anything remotely educational and knifes are always bad and oh so scary and blah blah blah kids should never be exposed to anything with possible danger involved ohmygolly gee.

They are tools. I've used both claw hammers and torches in school in addition to knives. They have their place and their purpose. None of what you listed is as dangerous as the table saw students were allowed to use.

Well, my school disagreed with your "tools have no educational value" stupidity, big whoop.

• Locked thread