Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

This makes me think Tom DeLay is a drat genius. That could have been his official photo.

ReindeerF posted:

Okay, in that case can you make the legal case here against Perry? Because I've never liked the guy, I'd love to see him brought up on charges if they're legit, but the Travis County DA's office is what it is and this charge even sounds bogus to me.

It doesn't really matter how much of an idiot the elected official in question was. From certain angles I agree that it doesn't sound so bad. When you boil it down, though, he attempted to use his veto power directly as a bargaining chip to allow him to appoint an elected position typically held by the opposing party. That seems like a slam dunk abuse of power case similar to the Blagojevich case in Illinois. Perry has the right to a veto. Blagojevich had the right to appoint a senator. They do/did not have the right to sell those privileges.

He made it clear that he wouldn't veto if she performed the favor of stepping down for him. The right wing spin on this sure makes it sound rosier, but any logical reading of the facts puts it clear into public corruption territory. The thing that's worrying is that the circumstances surrounding the person in question are going to cloud the judgement of quite a lot of people.

Perry was really smart in his choice of timing for gutting that office. People get hung up on the "3 agencies" thing from the GOP primary last cycle when he was hopped up on meds, but the guy is clearly not someone to be taken lightly on his home turf. I think he's quite a bit more shrewd than people give him credit for, but I do think he's probably out of his depth when it comes to national politics. He's not a genius, but he's not Sarah Palin either.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Muscle Tracer posted:

Is there any indication that Ryan is ACTUALLY good with numbers at any level? My understanding was that all of his Miracle Budgets have been completely unworkable even from a basic arithmetical standpoint, let alone an ideological one.

He's the fiscal policy equivalent of those guys toiling away for years thinking they've proved Newton wrong that think there's a conspiracy afoot in academia to silence their voice.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

kaynorr posted:

Better yet, pair it with a massive, and I mean massive like two orders of magnitude ever spent on it before, get out the vote effort. Set up private charities with the express purpose of compensating people for lost wages during voting, legal aid for those who are illegally prevented from voting by their employers, a private ride to and from the polling place for literally anyone who wants one.

The consequences of such a thing would be staggering, and would represent a change to American politics that we probably haven't seen....ever.

Speaking of things Obama should do after his presidency... the right would go apoplectic if he essentially rebuilt what ACORN used to be before they shuttered it. His pull there could keep it independent from government funding, and probably allow an increase in services over what ACORN used to be.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

So which is it? Is SNL a show with no social impact that no one cares about or was it a successful operation that was so influential you were forced to appear on it to counter what they were doing? She's literally contradicting herself. The conservative tendency to insult certain mass media in order to pretend there's some kind of silent majority is so strong that it interferes with her making the point she set out to make in the first place. It's stunning.

Her instinct that she should have gotten paid off to be made fun of as a public figure is also hilarious.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 22, 2014

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

baw posted:

This is great.

I agree that this is great.

• Locked thread