Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Levay took a lot from "Might is Right". The ideal person in "Might is Right" that one "which is in reality the old ideal of Nero". Levay Satanism is a rejection of the inversion of Christianity by appeal to what Christianity inverted. This is very similar to Rand.

The satanic temple folks are more: the Satan of literature is our guy but there is no supernatural. They also throw out the anti democratic elitism and cultural darwinism.

It's like the difference between objectivists and skeptic/libertarians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Thing is "entire societies, especially in the West, have placed themselves on the wrong side of history" isn't wrong, he's just mistaken about what the right and wrong sides of history are.

That's what new pope is saying too, except that the new pope puts history is on the side of the poor instead of the rich ie:

"No to an economy of exclusion"
"No to the new idolatry of money"
"No to the new idolatry of money"
"No to the inequality which spawns violence"

nachos posted:

I don't think I've seen republican accelerationism before. Decelerationism?

Going Galt, the whole stay with us in Galts Gulch so we can re-organize when it all collapses business is an accelerationism.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Shouldn't Christians love persecution? Like "gently caress yes bro push a sword into me. I can't believe my luck."

Read the Ante-Nicene Church Fathers, there is some: lets follow Jesus to the cross and not metaphorically. I'm looking forward to my being martyred by imperial selfish power type stuff.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Depends on which "Klan" iteration it was.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cross posting, there was another C. Koch editorial today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...round/13643229/

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Weird it works in one thread and not the other. And I just copy/pasted. Thanks.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Just a reminder that rich racists who funded the craziest most extreme reactions against the civil right movement, big tea party funders, and libertarian think tank backers are often the exact same people. And they also think they can quote MLK in support of their ideas now.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Amergin posted:

But saying something "does happen" doesn't necessarily lead to "and we should do something about it." This can lead to over-regulation.

That's a crap argument. Let's look at that how that argument works in industry

"Does happen"
doesn't necessarily lead to
"and we should do something about it."
therefore
"This can lead to over-regulation"

Flawed line of reasoning.

"Does happen "
should lead to
"we should and can do something about it"
therefore
"we get good regulation that prevents crazy bullshit from happening again."

maybe that's better?

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 11, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Amergin posted:

It's incredibly difficult to tailor, reduce or specify existing regulations as every time you do so, a bunch of D&D goons throw up pictures of West Virginia saying "if you touch regulations other than to bolster/expand them, this will be the result."

Amergin regulation of heavy industry comes from:

"Very Bad poo poo happened" and people died. Why do shipping containers used for explosive hazardous materials have strict selection criteria : Very Bad poo poo happened and people died. Why do hazardous materials have to be shipped marked and packaged according to 49 CFR? "Very Bad poo poo happened" and people died.

When you argue that we should "touch" reduce, roll back, tailor, regulations, you ignore that "Very Bad poo poo happened" and people died so that we can free job creators and shareholders can make more money.

You are arguing we should kill more people (by inaction) so we can make more money and you should have your nose rubbed in it.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 11, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Amergin posted:

You're basically assuming a competent government

Yes, what I see from the large sections of the CFRs (33 and 49 especially) that I interact with, ( and I'll give you that they are poorly written and hard to read) is that they are pretty reasonable and produced by a competent government appropriately reacting to disasters and considering the repercussions on industry.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hell even Milton Friedman thought a negative income tax for the lowest bracket, ie. a GMI, might be a good idea.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Magres posted:

There's just as much graft, nepotism, and incompetence in the private sector as there is in the public.

Or more in the private sector. Insurance companies often have to hire third parties to just observe things (I get paid to do this occasionally). In general (but not always) in the US we don't have to worry about doing that when interacting with government. Don't have to pay people to watch the USCG. I mean occasionally agencies have some bad apples but mostly government inspectors for a wide assortment of things are pretty good. And the only real complaint I have is that there should be more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Any one posted this yet? NYTs today had a chart showing CBO medicare cost projections since 06 and how much they have fallen in the last eight years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/28/upshot/medicare-not-such-a-budget-buster-anymore.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0

• Locked thread