Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why once he starts talking you are supposed to realize he is a nice guy.
He can still be nice while having an intimidating voice though, or even just an overly 'masculine one. I think Kenji Utsumi would've been a good choice of VA for Bors, actually. He could share his generations-old family technique for burning enemies of the Empire :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ending was great, but honorable mention of best moment of the episode goes to yaranaikacrab

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

HiveCommander posted:

He can still be nice while having an intimidating voice though, or even just an overly 'masculine one. I think Kenji Utsumi would've been a good choice of VA for Bors, actually. He could share his generations-old family technique for burning enemies of the Empire :allears:

Eh his voice, appearance and what he does on the job vs his personal life are all deliberately contrasted.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
I really enjoy the anime but then I made the mistake of catching up on the manga The author's need for shock value has become insanely exhausting in this manga. It was pretty bad before, but I hit my HOLY gently caress SERIOUSLY factor when I read the chapter where three doe-eyed country girls show up to the capital only to be tortured, mutilated, and hosed BY A DOG, because apparently every bad guy in this story is unrealistically insane. Every single one. Then the latest group of villains are so over the top evil their introduction includes an orgy rape/murder of a theater troupe including men, women, and a little boy. I wanted to laugh at it's ridiculousness, but after the SECOND violent rape and murder of a mother and little girl on top of their father/husband's grave, I found that difficult. I can understand making bad guys super bad so it's satisfying to watch them get their comeuppance, but the author goes a little too far with some of the villains in this story. No, manga. I don't feel satisfied and content that the pedo clown is dead, because you forced me to experience two child rapes/murders and a flashback of an entire elementary school class being raped and murdered by this guy. I feel a little too uncomfortable to really enjoy that death fully. It's annoying because I'm really into the other parts of the story. I'm torn.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You have discovered the horrifying truth: Akame ga Kill is not good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sindai posted:

Still entertaining. When it throws a curveball, it throws it so hilariously hard. Esdeath and Tatsumi is a prime example of that.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Still entertaining. When it throws a curveball, it throws it so hilariously hard. Esdeath and Tatsumi is a prime example of that.

Oh god yes. When those two are together it is pure gold. I'm really looking forward to the next few episodes with some more shojo manga Esdeath. :allears:

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

The mangaka is obviously trying, too hard, to make the city/country seem like a really decadent and rotten place. Tatsumi's initiation wasn't enough, I guess.

Still, I caught up with the manga and am enjoying it for the most part. Looking forward to more Tatsumi and Esdeath -- especially now that the cat is out of the bag, so to speak.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Candy Dawn posted:

I really enjoy the anime but then I made the mistake of catching up on the manga The author's need for shock value has become insanely exhausting in this manga. It was pretty bad before, but I hit my HOLY gently caress SERIOUSLY factor when I read the chapter where three doe-eyed country girls show up to the capital only to be tortured, mutilated, and hosed BY A DOG, because apparently every bad guy in this story is unrealistically insane. Every single one. Then the latest group of villains are so over the top evil their introduction includes an orgy rape/murder of a theater troupe including men, women, and a little boy. I wanted to laugh at it's ridiculousness, but after the SECOND violent rape and murder of a mother and little girl on top of their father/husband's grave, I found that difficult. I can understand making bad guys super bad so it's satisfying to watch them get their comeuppance, but the author goes a little too far with some of the villains in this story. No, manga. I don't feel satisfied and content that the pedo clown is dead, because you forced me to experience two child rapes/murders and a flashback of an entire elementary school class being raped and murdered by this guy. I feel a little too uncomfortable to really enjoy that death fully. It's annoying because I'm really into the other parts of the story. I'm torn.

It's sort of like a Japanese version of Punisher comics. If you have sane villains, suddenly they start looking a little sympathetic compared to the protagonist because of the methods the protagonist uses, so instead of Punisher taking down shoplifters, he takes down dudes who run brutal human trafficking rings and dudes who dig his dead family up and piss on them just to make him angry.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It's sort of like a Japanese version of Punisher comics. If you have sane villains, suddenly they start looking a little sympathetic compared to the protagonist because of the methods the protagonist uses, so instead of Punisher taking down shoplifters, he takes down dudes who run brutal human trafficking rings and dudes who dig his dead family up and piss on them just to make him angry.

Ooh never thought about it like that. Now that I think about it since these latest villains showed up, I've completely forgotten about the Jaegers being considered the bad guys prior.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The manga is almost bipolar with it's bad guys, The Jaegers end up with sympathetic back stories even Esdeth, but the assassination fodder are insanely irredeemably evil.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I really like how everyone in this show is dressed in flashy & colorful anime outfits, except for the male lead, who wears sensible slacks and a Cosby sweater.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Finally caught up to the manga.

God I love shoujo Esdeath-kun. Still hate Mine, though not as much as when Sheel died. And gently caress everything about Chelsea's death. Had to take a few days break after that.

Overall I really enjoy this. It's gonna make the waits between chapters excruciating. And great episode coming this weekend.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

mythicknight posted:

Finally caught up to the manga.

God I love shoujo Esdeath-kun. Still hate Mine, though not as much as when Sheel died. And gently caress everything about Chelsea's death. Had to take a few days break after that.

Overall I really enjoy this. It's gonna make the waits between chapters excruciating. And great episode coming this weekend.

Chelsea really grew on me, I was so gutted when that happened. You should check out AgK:Zero, if you haven't already, for reasons that will soon be made clear to you.

The month-long wait between chapters (both AgK and Zero) is pretty painful though.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

So is the next episode going to be Tatsumi getting penetrated by Esdeath's giant ice dick for 24 minutes or what

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Command Ant posted:

I really like how everyone in this show is dressed in flashy & colorful anime outfits, except for the male lead, who wears sensible slacks and a Cosby sweater.

His mom buys his clothes it's adorable.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Shoujo-mode Esdeath is so much more endearing on-screen :allears:

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

Sindai posted:

The writing starts off average but becomes a joke later on (manga)"We are so awesome we don't need Tengu's to kill Tengu users and have collected many for the Empire." gets double killed by the weakest Night Raid member a chapter later
I also I can't help comparing the Anime fight scenes to Chaika; their swings are going really fast here have a lazy flurry of blows(lines) compared to where every swing/block/parry is animated.

Bit late but dropped.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, also dropped. Chars stupid, story stupid and the action has become worse and worse over time.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Read the manga - rich throwaway people become more comically evil - important enemies get humanised.

A weird dissonance.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gotta say that I wasn't expecting (manga spoiler)Lubbock to off the prime minister's son. Despite not being that great, this series is pretty good at defying some expectations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yeah, also dropped. Chars stupid, story stupid and the action has become worse and worse over time.

You have terrible taste.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah, of all the times to drop this isn't it. I thought these last few episodes were the anime's highs rather than any low.

Talvos
Mar 21, 2005

Candy Dawn posted:

(manga spoiler)The author's need for shock value has become insanely exhausting in this manga. It was pretty bad before, but I hit my HOLY gently caress SERIOUSLY factor when I read the chapter where three doe-eyed country girls show up to the capital only to be tortured, mutilated, and hosed BY A DOG, because apparently every bad guy in this story is unrealistically insane.

That chapter caught me way off guard. (manga)At first, I thought we were getting new characters. Then, I thought we were getting new characters with a back story. Then, I thought we were getting new characters with a dark back story. Then, I thought we were getting one new character with a really dark back story. It wasn't until that scene over that I realized I had read this manga's equivalent of a snuff film.
The whole super-powered shonen element of the manga seems completely incompatible with the plot when you start introducing stories like this.

Everyone in this is either insane or evil. You become a villain if you fall into both categories. Even Tatsumi's burning shonen passion comes across as insanity in some scenes. At this point, I'm half-expecting Wave to take over as the protagonist.

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012
What I've been enjoying most about this manga is watching Tatsumi's protagonist pheromones work on all the women to the point he almost gets molested in prison. It's like every shonen Harem protagonist problem dialed up to eleven when his magnetism works on the enemies as well as his pool of love interests. and also the fact that the smitten ladies in question wont change there alinement just because there after a slice of Tatsumi.

zerosix fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 9, 2014

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Oh man this episode. It makes it all worth it.
Gimp soldiers, guns out of mutilated limbs, poison bombs, giant flying mantas, and a bull priest teigu man who cares about keeping your hair neat and tidy when not decapitating said gimpmen

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

And the sparkles. All the generic prettiness sparkles. A truly stylish episode.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I might have missed it, but did they say why weapon body didn't die due to her blade?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Harry posted:

I might have missed it, but did they say why weapon body didn't die due to her blade?

Robot limbs son.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Harry posted:

She was not coming in contact with his Flesh. It's a poison if it does not go in it does not effect.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Aww yeah, Chelsea episode next week. Get hyped!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

drat, they're getting to the religious organization arc pretty quickly. I figured they would cut the anime off at the end of it, but I'll guess they'll be doing that later.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Namtab posted:

Read the manga - rich throwaway people become more comically evil - important enemies get humanised.

A weird dissonance.

It's like the spastic little brother of Hokuto no Ken. Or some sort of cargo-cult Violence Jack. It's hilarious. And terrible. Yet for some reason I can't stop reading it.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Esdeath's shoujo mode is basically the best part of this anime.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

legoman727 posted:

Esdeath's shoujo mode is basically the best part of this anime.

Have you checked out this week's AgK theater? Oh, the Majikoi reference :allears:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

My favorite part of the original comic is the several one shot chapters where nameless people get raped and murdered, because the bad people are bad, you see.

I read the reviews on bakaupdates and on the scale of 1 to 11(wolf guy: don't google it) how violent is everyone?

I thought AoT was kinda gratuitously gory so will I like this series? Thanks.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Alder posted:

I read the reviews on bakaupdates and on the scale of 1 to 11(wolf guy: don't google it) how violent is everyone?

The first episode has multiple people cut in half along with blood spray. I think it has your needs covered.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Alder posted:

Depends. Did you like AoT?
AgK is silly and uses a lot of shock value, but not nearly as silly as stuff like (AoT spoilers) Teen Titans

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

HiveCommander posted:

Depends. Did you like AoT?
AgK is silly and uses a lot of shock value, but not nearly as silly as stuff like (AoT spoilers) Teen Titans

I ended up dropping AoT :sigh:

Cool OP/ED sequences though. Now I'm nostalgic for my childhood...

I thought the art style looked streamlined just from CH1. Yeah, I'm shallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
God drat, Kurome is a psychopath. :stare:

• Locked thread