Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
I really enjoy the anime but then I made the mistake of catching up on the manga The author's need for shock value has become insanely exhausting in this manga. It was pretty bad before, but I hit my HOLY gently caress SERIOUSLY factor when I read the chapter where three doe-eyed country girls show up to the capital only to be tortured, mutilated, and hosed BY A DOG, because apparently every bad guy in this story is unrealistically insane. Every single one. Then the latest group of villains are so over the top evil their introduction includes an orgy rape/murder of a theater troupe including men, women, and a little boy. I wanted to laugh at it's ridiculousness, but after the SECOND violent rape and murder of a mother and little girl on top of their father/husband's grave, I found that difficult. I can understand making bad guys super bad so it's satisfying to watch them get their comeuppance, but the author goes a little too far with some of the villains in this story. No, manga. I don't feel satisfied and content that the pedo clown is dead, because you forced me to experience two child rapes/murders and a flashback of an entire elementary school class being raped and murdered by this guy. I feel a little too uncomfortable to really enjoy that death fully. It's annoying because I'm really into the other parts of the story. I'm torn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Still entertaining. When it throws a curveball, it throws it so hilariously hard. Esdeath and Tatsumi is a prime example of that.

Oh god yes. When those two are together it is pure gold. I'm really looking forward to the next few episodes with some more shojo manga Esdeath. :allears:

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It's sort of like a Japanese version of Punisher comics. If you have sane villains, suddenly they start looking a little sympathetic compared to the protagonist because of the methods the protagonist uses, so instead of Punisher taking down shoplifters, he takes down dudes who run brutal human trafficking rings and dudes who dig his dead family up and piss on them just to make him angry.

Ooh never thought about it like that. Now that I think about it since these latest villains showed up, I've completely forgotten about the Jaegers being considered the bad guys prior.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
I wonder how much input the author had on those last episodes. Since the manga is still going. Possibly a hint on what's to come?

The last episode seemed rushed. Esdeath with all her power died too quick. she can kill a whole army with a brush of her hand but she doesn't seem to go that route with Akame? I know Akame is an awesome assassin but still. They made Esdeath seem almost too powerful in every other episode and Akame showed me nothing that I can think of for me to think she could kill Esdeath in like 10 minutes. I know Esdeath used her trump card and got fooled but even before that she should have been able to kill Akame without too much trouble. Akame always felt like a secondary character to me too so I never figured out why the show is named after her and why she is apparently so important. All she did was eat meat and kill lots of people and have a sister who was also raised as an assassin. Maybe I'm missing something that will be shown in the manga eventually?

Candy Dawn fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 16, 2014

• Locked thread