Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I’ve seen so many movies in the last year or so that I’d love to see get proper releases. Belladonna of Sadness and Liquid Sky are two that are on DVD but in compromised form image-wise. Speaking of compromised home video versions, I’m still pissed that Criterion lost the rights to Ran and we got stuck with a Blu-Ray that was carelessly shat out by Lionsgate and Studio Canal.

An uncut home video release of The Devils would be nice, but we’ll never get it since Warner Bros. is apparently terrified of that movie being shown in the US outside of a few repertory screenings. Warner almost did release the movie on DVD in 2008, then decided at the last minute to cancel the release. There is a region 2 release from the British Film Institute that is fantastic, but Warner made them remove all of the director’s cut footage and any reference to it.

Twice Upon a Time is one I actually am kind of surprised hasn’t popped up on Warner Archive. That’s one that should get the special edition treatment, since there’s apparently a ton of material that ended up on the cutting room floor, including Bud Cort playing Lorenzo Music’s role, a specially-made teaser trailer, and several deleted sequences.

I’m still kind of amazed Abel Gance’s Napoleon isn’t out on Blu-Ray. There’s a new restoration of it, Robert Harris and Francis Coppola seem to have patched things up, and its one of the most famous movies that isn’t available legally. There were two screenings with a live orchestra in California and London, but other than that there hasn’t been a peep about the movie possibly being shown elsewhere. Speaking of silents, where the hell is a home video release of Greed that isn’t on laserdisc?

Even though Stanley Kubrick’s estate has done everything in their power to prevent it from ever getting out of their hands, I’d love to see the deleted material from 2001, and the alternate endings to Dr. Strangelove and The Shining.

Phase IV with the alternate ending intact would be fantastic, as would the long-promised director’s cut of The Assination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Wild Girl is a great Raoul Walsh pre-code western that only exists in 35mm; its never been on home video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread