Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

remember the compies? no one ever remembers the compies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Prettz posted:

remember the compies? no one ever remembers the compies.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOPVVdg8noc

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its ok ones the size of the raptors from jurassic park existed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinonychus

Actually, Deinonychus was only about hip-high at the hips (human to Deinonychus), and weighed no more than 100 pounds or so. However, there was a dinosaur like those in Jurassic Park. That was Utahraptor Ostrommaysorum (named after John Ostrom, the discoverer of Deinonychus.

fun fact, when Jurassic Park was being filmed, several paleontologists complained, because they were making the raptors so large, when none of that size had been discovered. Then, during filming, a specimen was discovered of Utahraptor and Spielberg held this up as justification, even though he used the wrong name...

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Genesplicer would ornithicians and saurischians have been classed as separate classes if they hadn't been grouped together originally or is the classification more based on ankle bones and other stuff?

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
im a scientiest (true) and fyi birds ARE dinosaurs :sciencefact: and are known as AVIAN DINOSAURS while dinosaurs are known as non avian dinosayrs. hth :scienceinfo:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

ilikedirt posted:

im a scientiest (true) and fyi birds ARE dinosaurs :sciencefact: and are known as AVIAN DINOSAURS while dinosaurs are known as non avian dinosayrs. hth :scienceinfo:

......which is archeopteryx?

naem
May 29, 2011

I draw bird

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

concerned mom posted:

Genesplicer would ornithicians and saurischians have been classed as separate classes if they hadn't been grouped together originally or is the classification more based on ankle bones and other stuff?

I think that the pelvis is more fundamental, and therefore provides a better demarcation than most other ways we could divide them. Do we really need to divide them? Maybe not, but I'm a splitter, not a lumper. I like lots of groups.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

genesplicer posted:

Actually, Deinonychus was only about hip-high at the hips (human to Deinonychus), and weighed no more than 100 pounds or so. However, there was a dinosaur like those in Jurassic Park. That was Utahraptor Ostrommaysorum (named after John Ostrom, the discoverer of Deinonychus.

fun fact, when Jurassic Park was being filmed, several paleontologists complained, because they were making the raptors so large, when none of that size had been discovered. Then, during filming, a specimen was discovered of Utahraptor and Spielberg held this up as justification, even though he used the wrong name...

And furthermore, great white sharks don't get that big.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

The Protagonist posted:

Archie is the Missing Link that the fundies swear doesn't exist...

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
as GBS' resident 'birdologist' I'm here to tell you that literally all birds are scientifically classified as dinosaurs! specifically avian dinosaurs

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

concerned mom posted:

its based on hip bones b*tch

w/out genetics to look at its tough to classify v precisely so u p much have to do it the old fashioned way based on bones so to answer ur q. yeah prob.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I mean classes as in dinosaur, archosaur, suchia etc. would we have ornithicia and saurischia in there instead of dinosaur?

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

The Protagonist posted:

archaeopteryx isnt even aves iirc hes like a offshoot

lots of dinos had feathers and stuff i think u start getting more birdsy stuff when they lose tails and get beaks etc which is way after archie

concerned mom posted:

I mean classes as in dinosaur, archosaur, suchia etc. would we have ornithicia and saurischia in there instead of dinosaur?

probably yeah the hip bone difference is a pretty big one and it happened pretty early on in dino evo it effects all kind of anatomical stuff

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
if oi could eat a dinosaur ide eat a ankylosaurus bc u know that nigga got some juicy rear end meats under he shell. why else would he protect it so hard??? bc it tastes good duh

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

ilikedirt posted:

lots of dinos had feathers and stuff i think u start getting more birdsy stuff when

this is the real problem with bio, it's just a bunch of arbitrary artistic bullshit

"i think this thing goes with these other things"

"no no no, this thing clearly goes with these other different things"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

The Protagonist posted:

this is the real problem with bio, it's just a bunch of arbitrary artistic bullshit

"i think this thing goes with these other things"

"no no no, this thing clearly goes with these other different things"

well species arent clearly seperated in nature its more of a gradient and can get so complicated as to defeat the purpose of the concept of species in the first place if u get granular enough. so arbitrary points of reference have to be set up so we csn communicate idess effectively + figure out where things fit in the tree if life + as a way to reference stuff. nobody ever claims uits not arbitrary but its necessary

so i mean ya theres debates about what things go into what categories but as we learn more u either solve the debate or rework the system. both are happening now fyi

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
plus its not as artsy as u make it sound protagonist. in paleontology its a little different bc u have so little info to work w/ sometimes. its kinda like tryna figure out what im sayin when im seriousposting.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Birds are too busy enslaving the dog underclass to really care

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

ilikedirt posted:

if oi could eat a dinosaur ide eat a ankylosaurus bc u know that nigga got some juicy rear end meats under he shell. why else would he protect it so hard??? bc it tastes good duh

Def would eat a muttaburrasaurus cause they looked useless for p much everything other than eating so they must have tasted good

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Zzulu posted:

(thts a cool rear end bird)
scary bird

Pickle dicker posted:

adorable, fluffy dinosaurs :3:

those are the fluffiest birds what are those? :3:

naem posted:

I draw bird

omg

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

genesplicer posted:

Exciting and cool movie
Experts are annoyed
Earth has a blue sky

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

ilikedirt posted:

plus its not as artsy as u make it sound protagonist. in paleontology its a little different bc u have so little info to work w/ sometimes. its kinda like tryna figure out what im sayin when im seriousposting.

the whole latin naming system is literally art

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

naem posted:

I draw bird

hey you're pretty cool

Tokamak posted:

Birds are too busy enslaving the dog underclass to really care

pretty sure dogs don't mind

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also my grandfather is an archaeologist and people keep asking him about dinosaurs so one year i got him a stuffed dinosaur for christmas and he keeps it in his office to gently caress w/ people

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
When I was a kid I dreamed of being a palaeontologist and tbh I still wish I was

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Robo Reagan posted:

Exciting and cool movie
Experts are annoyed
Earth has a blue sky

The book has regular-sized Velociraptors. Small (About the size of turkeys), but possibly pack-hunters. Much creepier, in my opinion.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

genesplicer posted:

The book has regular-sized Velociraptors. Small (About the size of turkeys), but possibly pack-hunters. awesome, in my opinion.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

tentative8e8op posted:

those are the fluffiest birds what are those? :3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silkie

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
the coolest dinosaur was without a doubt gasosaurus because its a boring as gently caress dinosaur that was so boring they just called it gasosaurus cause it was found in a gas field

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

genesplicer posted:

The book has regular-sized Velociraptors. Small (About the size of turkeys), but possibly pack-hunters. Much creepier, in my opinion.

didnt the dinosaurs have snake tongues in the book too or dsomething stupid. i might be misremembering

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

they had paralysis-poison bites

the coolest was the chameleon dinosaurs in lost world though

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

this is how dinosaurs looked you loving jurassic park believing idiot

retard

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Palpek posted:

this is how dinosaurs looked you loving jurassic park believing idiot

retard

he'll fight you he'll punch you stupid

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

the worst part about the whole feathers business is not the feathers, that's pretty cool actually and just means the world was a weirder place than anyone ever guessed, it's that nobody has a loving clue about colors or patterns so all that artwork is speculative poo poo

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

The Protagonist posted:

the worst part about the whole feathers business is not the feathers, that's pretty cool actually and just means the world was a weirder place than anyone ever guessed, it's that nobody has a loving clue about colors or patterns so all that artwork is speculative poo poo

I think that'll change at least for some specimens in the near future though. I believe scientists have already found some evidence for red and striped pigmentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

The Protagonist posted:

look up leonardo the mummified hadrosaur they found out what color and pattern that niggas skin was

also they found some feathered dinos in china w/ intact pigment hth

• Locked thread