Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Birds are tiny dinosaurs. In fact, many scientists have altered the classification of vertebrates. In the past there were 5 main groups, Fish, Amphibians, Reptiles, Birds and Mammals. Dinosaurs were originally classified under Reptiles. However, we have figured out that dinosaurs were as different from reptiles as mammals are, so they should be in their own group. Not only that, but birds evolved form dinosaurs, so the new classes are Fish, Amphibians, Reptiles, Dinosaurs and Mammals.

Just watch a cassowary attack something, or a rooster as it struts around and you definitely see the family resemblance.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its ok ones the size of the raptors from jurassic park existed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinonychus

Actually, Deinonychus was only about hip-high at the hips (human to Deinonychus), and weighed no more than 100 pounds or so. However, there was a dinosaur like those in Jurassic Park. That was Utahraptor Ostrommaysorum (named after John Ostrom, the discoverer of Deinonychus.

fun fact, when Jurassic Park was being filmed, several paleontologists complained, because they were making the raptors so large, when none of that size had been discovered. Then, during filming, a specimen was discovered of Utahraptor and Spielberg held this up as justification, even though he used the wrong name...

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

concerned mom posted:

Genesplicer would ornithicians and saurischians have been classed as separate classes if they hadn't been grouped together originally or is the classification more based on ankle bones and other stuff?

I think that the pelvis is more fundamental, and therefore provides a better demarcation than most other ways we could divide them. Do we really need to divide them? Maybe not, but I'm a splitter, not a lumper. I like lots of groups.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

The Protagonist posted:

......which is archeopteryx?

Archie is the Missing Link that the fundies swear doesn't exist...

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Robo Reagan posted:

Exciting and cool movie
Experts are annoyed
Earth has a blue sky

The book has regular-sized Velociraptors. Small (About the size of turkeys), but possibly pack-hunters. Much creepier, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Bolian Blues posted:

The Dinotopia guy needs to repaint all his beautiful artwork with feather dinosaurs now, otherwise his books are unreadable unscientific trash

Well, he was good friends with Thomas Kinkaid, so what can you expect?

• Locked thread