Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Colonel Squish posted:

People who play AP Tristana mid and have more than double deaths over kills are the most frustrating people to have on your team.

The ham never stops. I'm going to have nightmares of that loving yordle Rocket Jumping solo into Vayne/Annie/Xerath again and again and again.

I'm having PTSD flashbacks to AP Yi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Noosphere posted:

I've just picked up Skarner, and while his damage and stickiness are nice with Lizard Elder into Iceborne, I feel a little bit squishy. Is it worthwhile going for a tankier build ? Like a Randuins after Lizard.

Yes. Skarner is a Fighter, so you generally stick to a single damage item (barring being insanely far ahead) and then build up a lot of tank stats.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

XyrlocShammypants posted:

This Twitch stream.. wow.

http://www.twitch.tv/ongamers

Highlights:

Kiwikid sucks rear end
imaqtpie "looks like a retard" but isn't bad
Curse will never top 3 any meaningful event with Voyboy as mid or top

etc.

Summoning Insight would be great if Thoorin were replaced by someone who can ask tough questions whilst simultaneously not spending seven minutes asking his question and sounding like a shithead when he does.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Fuckin' hell all the video game references in that skin are amazing.

RUN, RUN, OR YOU'LL BE WELL DONE

I wonder if that's Veigar's original voice actor.

I'm hoping, "It's no use!" is the Sonic 2006 reference I think it is.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

AParadox posted:

I remember in season 1 when EUW was up 2 days a week from mid august to november. Unless you entered the konami code.

I somehow totally forgot that the Konami code was actually in the game and actually worked. :pwn: Early League was a wild experience.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mystery Prize posted:

Is there some glaring weakness she has that prevents her from being played regularly in high Diamond?

Her bullying presence is really the only thing she's got, aside from some slows (but, really, who doesn't have that) and her group speed up. She's inferior to a lot of other supports as far as disengage/engage ability, carry protection, and general utility (heals, damage boosts, etc.). You have to build a decent amount of AP to keep her relevant later on in the game, which generally demands that you aren't building Locket/Mikael's.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

Nami/Caitlyn is pretty horrific right now. It's the equivalent of holding a midget at arm's length and kicking them in the dick for 10 minutes.

Karma/Caitlyn is the cruelest lane on the planet Earth and I feel like a shithead whenever I play it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Corbeau posted:

Well, that's the first time I've seen someone complain about too many support players.

AD is a very mechanically intensive position to try and play, since it requires you to do something that isn't as "required" for most other roles: orb walking. One hosed up click is generally enough to end your life by the lategame. It's a stressful role to play, especially if you're trying to play well. I can understand why people shy away from it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

If they're talking about how they'll report you for some dumb reason in chat then you should report them as that's actually a really lovely thing to do. When the tribunal was working a lot of people considered that a reason to hit punish and I suspect Riot would view it negatively.

Specifically, Lyte has mentioned that everyone's reports have a relative "weight" that goes up or down depending on how consistently correct that report is (that is, the reported incident leads to a warning/punishment), which then affects how the automated systems processes reports (with a higher weight giving an incident more precedence in the system). Someone who falsely reports constantly is going to have almost no actual weight with their reports.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

chumbler posted:

Some people in this thread apparently don't remember how lovely Shen makes the game when he's good.

I vastly prefer Smite's implementation of Shen's ultimate, where it's just a percentile amount of damage reduction for the duration of the channel. Good as an initiation tool, but considerably less good for saving an ally who's about to eat it with 30 HP left.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Could they maybe fix his (Shen's) laning by reducing his ult range to 40% of the map or something? Champs with globals are like the worst things to balance.

They absolutely need to so that they can revamp his kit thoroughly. He sucks in top and jungle right now because of how anemic his waveclear is, but he'd be an unstoppable permapick if he retained his global presence and was able to pressure lanes effectively. It really feels like he's got Poppy Syndrome right now, where he's got an extremely powerful ability that's the only thing propping him up.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sexpansion posted:

Don't ever build sunfire unless it's specifically for splitting.

Even then, I'd pick something different for pure splitting purposes, unless you absolutely need it. It's simply not possible for you to whack turrets while ignoring your enemy, because it will keep redirecting its fire to you as you damage them passively.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's still really crazy how the art has gone from "traced Maya renders" to what we've got now.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

New Karma is honestly one of my favorite supports in the game as far as kill potential goes. If you have to carry the game from support, it's hard to think of a better person to do it with.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Let's discuss how the new splash arts are very pretty looking but almost universally make for worse portrait icons because the head is always partially obscured/tilted at a weird angle.

maybe it's just me but this seems to be a running theme among the new splash arts

It's not hard to rotate it to be in a reasonable portrait position. It worked well for Sona after they figured out how weird it looked at an angle.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The composition's really odd. My eyes were immediately drawn to that broken sword dude in the background instead of Cass.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lovechop posted:

that cass splash is the first bad one in a really long time for me. they were on a serious roll until they got to whatever that is.

I really just blame the composition for this one. The point that's most well-lit, and where a lot of the elements are pointing towards and boxing in, is broken sword dude.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Che Delilas posted:

His strength happened at the perfect time, too: everyone was taking AD mids like Zed, and tanky junglers sucked compared to the nasty AD fighters like Lee and Kha, and all of a sudden supports could buy real items. Picking Taric into that and rushing Frozen Heart or something just completely poo poo on the enemy team.

Coincidentally, that was the only time he wasn't the most boring experience League had to offer. It'd be nice if they'd find a way to make him fun without him being obscenely powerful, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

They really should look at Guan Yu from Smite if they need inspiration. He's a very effective melee-based healer who's got a good mix of tankiness, healing, damage, and control without going overboard on any of them. They came up with a particularly smart way of getting around the whole "infinite sustain" problem for him: his heal has a low base amount that scales up in strength (up to 200%) as he takes damage. Something like that would be perfect for Taric.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 6, 2014

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LeJackal posted:

How can I carry harder as a support?

Play Karma and build AP. I'm serious. Not only is she an extreme lane bully, but her poo poo hurts by midgame if you've gotten even a slight lead. She's less powerful than a "traditional" support in that you don't have a hard disengage and your only real CC takes 2 seconds to pop off, but she has much stronger poke and can win skirmishes (and even teamfights) if you position wisely.

I haven't played League in a bit, but my standard build was something like: Frostfang -> Sightstone -> Morellonomicon -> Sorcerer's Shoes -> Void Staff, with an upgrade to Frost Queen's Claim somewhere in there. The final item is to taste and depends a lot on how the game is panning out. You can either go for more support (Mikael's, Locket, Twin Shadows), or a heavy AP item like Rabadon's or Zhonya's (if you're doing well and their assassin is smart enough to figure out who to target).

Leveling priority changes depending on what you're up against. Top priority is your ultimate followed by Inner Flame, with the other two depending on your circumstances. If you're against heavy poke, a burst assassin, or are behind, Inspire's usually a better option. If you're looking to play more aggressively and don't need to worry about taking so much damage, level Focused Resolve.

Methanar posted:

Velkoz karma syndra xerath annie and to a lesser extent zyra all work good for this.

I can confirm that support Syndra's super brutal. Almost no one buys boots first bottom, so you can easily shove people out early just by poking them with Dark Sphere.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Methanar posted:

I disagree.

Totally relying on some random kid in silver to not be terrible is going to be very unfun and you're going to be disappointed.

I agree with Methanar, here. In higher leagues, playing traditional supports is probably the way to go, but trying to play Thresh or Nami or something in lower leagues ends up in disappointment more than joy. Mages like Annie, Xerath, Zyra, Syndra, Karma, etc. can all do the "support thing" (keep your team alive, zone out the enemy, CC priority targets), but can also build some appreciable AP and wreck people if you can get yourself ahead. I would much rather be able to dumpster a carry who mispositions than using Mikael's on my ADC who's busy eating poo poo from their own mispositioning.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This just feeds the fallacy that you're only in X-division because of "other" people.

The fallacy of "my team" is a fallacy in the sense that you place all of the blame for your loss on your team, which is false in the majority of games. The idea that people in lower Elo are less skilled at the game, however, is not a fallacy.

Playing an offensive support has several key benefits:

1) You rely less on your team to deal damage. If I'm playing Nami with only a small touch of AP, I am unlikely to actually contribute significantly damage-wise in a teamfight. Consequently, if one or more of my main damage dealers gets dumpstered (due to poor positioning, a fed assassin, etc.), the fact that I've been building AP and am more offense-oriented means that my team has a much higher chance of either holding off a further offensive (due to waveclear, poke, etc.) or of winning a teamfight that's suddenly gone lopsided.

2) You can keep your ADC in the game if they're playing poorly/have fallen behind by providing a significant damage threat. Nami might be able to disengage someone leaping onto your squishy, but Karma or Syndra can kill them. That threat can give your ADC a chance to farm back up without having to worry about getting murdered, or at least providing retribution assists.

3) You're in a role that isn't picked very much, so you can play a single champion far more consistently and learn all of the matchups to give yourself a leg-up. Trying to pick middle, for example, is a huge crapshoot, as it tends to be one of the most contested roles in any game.

You should be thinking of how you can carry the game in any role in lower Elo. It's easier to do in the other four by just playing "traditional" stuff, but only playing a "traditional" support is going to end up in a lot more frustration than is necessary. Support went almost instantly from being my least-favorite role to my favorite role once I figured out that I could not only play Karma bottom, but could build offensively and dumpster the people that my team wasn't able to kill.

Libertine posted:

There's no reason to play "alternatives" to "traditional" supports.

I would argue that there are plenty of reasons, as stated above. I wouldn't advocate anything really goofy like Lee Sin, but there isn't really a problem with playing mages like Karma, Syndra, etc. in bottom as support, considering that they perform a similar role while putting out vastly more damage when built properly.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 6, 2014

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You don't have to have all the kills to carry a game. You can win a lot of games simply by building utility poo poo that the other team won't have.

Utility items like Mikael's and Locket depend a lot on your team's ability to coordinate. As this is often in doubt in lower Elo, being able to kill more quickly than the opposing team (or being able to poke them more effectively) can provide more utility than a single Mikael's heal or FotM shield. This isn't to say that traditional supports are worthless, as I've won plenty of games by landing nasty hooks or bubbles. I prefer to err on the side of caution, however, and assume that I'll need to provide a significant damage threat. If I'm proven wrong, I don't have a problem with just building traditional support items. (The way in which I build Karma, for example, doesn't really build any major AP until after Sighstone, at which point you can generally tell which way the wind is blowing.)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

Galio is clearly the best AP Support because his base damages are insane, is incredibly tanky with nearly no items and gets a nice set of CC wih his ulti and his extremely spammable Q.

He is easily the world's most annoying toplaner. After her builds a certain amount of AP, he will instantly clear the wave with two casts, can't be killed with his incredible shield, and can't be dove under the tower unless you want to eat poo poo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lovechop posted:

people always say malphite counters certain champs but all it ever means is 'malphite farms and doesn't die' because he's an absolute dildo in lane. i have no problems playing fiora into him because i will just kill mid/bot instead at 6.

You can also just dumpster him if you go in hard enough and have enough sustain pre-6. His mana costs are atrociously high.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

morning wood posted:

What do you guys think of champion tier lists that rank champions?

They appear in any game with non-symmetrical characters, and are real. They're not making it up: there are some characters who are genuinely better than others in specific roles/niches. With that said, there are people who have found success on basically every single champion, and some people who are absolute savants at characters others would consider garbage. The trick here is that "better" champions are generally much easier to be successful on (e.g., it's a lot easier to win a game as Caitlyn or Lucian than it is as Ashe). You're fine playing whatever; just be aware that there are some champions who will simply outcompete you, given an equal level of skill.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 7, 2014

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my pog boyfriend posted:

Go into options, and instead of "smartcast all" just change them. You have to do it each game but you don't need to smartcast everything every game. Usually I'll have 2 abilities smartcasted and 2 not, but it changes.

Riot really needs to do the Smite thing where you can individually set each ability on every champion to either normal cast or quick cast. Smite also has another really good option ("delayed" casting) where the ability will fire after you release the key, but it will still show the targeting cursor until you release it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yeah, that's how I play and literally everyone who watches my streams bitches about it.

I sincerely didn't know that, huh. I generally only use cursor/normal targeting for abilities with relatively small areas (like Aatrox's Dark Flight) where I'm willing to sacrifice some speed for precision.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Just make a Tinyurl of this the thread title.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Also, Gowbying Intensifying:

quote:

"The merits of Horatius had been very great, having by his virtu conquered the Curatii. None the less such a homicide displeased the Romans so much, that he was brought to trial for his life, notwithstanding that his merits were so great and so recent. Which thing, to whoever should consider it only superficially, would seem to be an example of the ingratitude of the people. None the less, whoever should examine it closer, and with better consideration will look for what the orders of the Republic ought to be, will blame that people rather for having absolved him than for having wanted to condemn him: and the reason is this, that no well-ordered Republic ever cancels the misbehavior of its citizens by their merits; and having rewarded one for having acted well, if that same one afterwards acts badly, it castigates him without having regard to any of his good actions. And if these orders are well observed, a City will exist free for a long time; if otherwise, it will quickly be ruined. For if to a citizen who has done some eminent work for the City, there is added to his reputation of that which he acquired, and audacity and confidence of being able to do some wrong without fear of punishment, he will in a short time become so insolent as to put an end to all civil law."

--Niccolo Machiavelli, Discourses on Livy, Book 1, Chapter 14

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A Stupid Baby posted:

Im not sure if Machiavelli is who I pull off my shelf to make a long-rear end post about internet trolls

Machiavelli's basic point in that quotation is that someone's good conduct should not counterbalance their bad conduct in the eyes of the law, because you can otherwise get away with strategically breaking the law so long as you act nicely enough otherwise.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Methanar posted:

Really, it's my fault for not dumping vayne 10 minutes earlier.

Right around the time I saw she had 25 cs to lucian's 80.

That enemy team looks real yuckers on Karma, too. I can only imagine Talon and J4 were out for your blood every fight.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Poulpe posted:

So, you know how a few weeks back they took away Alistar's ability to autoattack someone just after he headbutts them?
Why didn't they take that away from Tristana as well? God knows she needs the nerf and the burst on buster shot is high enough as is
:confused:

Buster Shot's an ultimate that comes at level 6 and which (especially after this next patch) has a sizable cooldown. Headbutt isn't really comparable. Tristana has problems, but they have more to do with fundamental aspects of her kit rather than minor mechanical things like that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I'm surprised they don't play with costs more than they do. There's a price point where, say, Ohmwrecker doesn't become terrible, and it would be interesting to find out where that is.

I partially blame the weird recipe system that remains as an old DotA remnant. I hate sounding like a broken record, but Smite does its item buying in a nice way. It has a tiered item system where certain stat combinations (Health and Armor, or Attack Damage and Attack Speed, etc.) start with a base item and then gradually work up through different tiers towards one of several final items. Adjusting the cost of an item is thus more self-contained, and you don't have to worry about stepping on the toes of a dozen other items because you changed the cost of one particular component.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 15, 2014

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Ohmwrecker should be an upgraded trinket.

I wish Sightstone would just get folded into the Trinket system, somehow.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Isn't there someone, ITT, who hates the poo poo out of Ori?

I dislike her, yes. She's got a grab-bag of mobility, damage, control, and protection without any clear weaknesses in her kit beyond "not having a dash." I'd be otherwise fine with her if they just axed her shield, though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yasuo had a similar winrate when he first came out. It's normal for brand new dudes, especially ones with high skill floors.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Previous Jesus posted:

I wish laning bot wasn't such a mystery to me. I really like playing both support and ADC mid to late game but I'm complete garbage at laning bottom.

What would you say your biggest weaknesses are? Do you have a game people can look at?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

Runes: standard AP caster runepage. Flat AP quints and blues, HP yellows (maybe armor is better here, someone more mathy could weigh in), MPen reds.

From what I understand, flat armor is typically better if you're expecting lots of physical poke (e.g. Lucian or Caitlyn), while flat health is better against strong early dive combos (e.g. if they have a Blitzcrank). I tried out flat HP for a while on support, but it felt like I couldn't take even the slightest AD harass or I'd lose my lane.

Actually, this is a good time to ask, as well: does flat magic pen from reds round up at all? I noticed that 9 flat MPen reds only give a .8 boost over 8 flat MPen reds on the rune screen, but an extra flat AP red seems to round up into an extra AP. Would that make 8 MPen/1 AP more efficient, or is that just a weird display issue?

Vermain fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 22, 2014

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm not even sure if gap closers in general are the biggest problem, or if it's the fact that they're almost always paired with additional hard or soft CC that's extremely difficult to avoid. A dude like Kha'zix wouldn't be so menacing as Ashe if he couldn't also slow me by a nearly equal (or better, depending on what point we're at in the game) amount with a skillshot that's unavoidable at close range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'd argue that Lux is also better in a straight-up teamfight. Rite of the Arcane is much harder to hit than Final Spark and severely restricts your mobility, and Prismatic Barrier is an insanely good shield if you're building her straight AP.

• Locked thread