Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Pros and people in Silver who are absolutely convinced you'd be plat if it wasn't for AFK'ers, what do you think about Gnar? I think his kit is cool but I haven't had a lot of success with him. It really seems like a lot of the time going Mega Gnar is such a negative. I understand that he is built around this unstoppable change, but it almost seems like unless you can consistently go Mega Gnar right as you're engaging in a team fight/have your jump up it's just a pain.

I've lost about five kills tonight because while chasing down a fleeing enemy my choices are to hope a teammate can catch them or hope my final boomerang kills them, because if it doesn't I'm just going to transform and then they are long gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

More Gnar chat.

The issue I'm running into is that the concept of "Two forms, but you only get limited control over both of them" makes itemization really hard. He's labelled as a "fighter/marksman" but he's not really either. I can't just build him straight AD because every time I go into combat I'm going to go Mega Gnar and all my abilities are close range/CC, and if I build him straight tank I'm going to get wrecked both trying to go into Mega Gnar and for 20~ seconds after because I can't build rage when I go Mini, plus I add nothing to team fights as mini with no damage or attack speed.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Kalista's ult seems like it will be baller on some supports and terrible on others. Obviously Leona/Thresh/Braum are awesome supports for her as it gives them an a way to get in and do what they need to do. However, I can't see hurling your Sona/Soraka/Lux supports into the enemy team as a valuable move.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Hellioning posted:

I can see Sona (for easy multiple person Crescendos without having to flash) but yeah Soraka would not be particularly useful.

And who plays Lux support, seriously?

As an unranked player I see a lot of them.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

When does this stuff come out? End of S4?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I think Kalista's story fits in pretty well due to the fact that everyone in the League is out for revenge. She's not just another "I'm angry" archetype, but rather more like a spirit of betrayal. While she was betrayed she's not out to get vengeance, she's out to help other people get it. She offers the thing they want most, at a price.

That price being an immediate spear through the thoracic cavity, apparently.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Darth Windu posted:

I didn't make it due to shithead noob teammates, which is really cool, since I carried the poo poo out of every game. Oh well. Plat next season I guess.

It isn't actually cool at all. This night has brought out the super noob army, shitheads who are insanely toxic, who just bring me down. Literally every game I lost was due to teammates, no mistake or exaggeration. Check out my history, I will post every replay if you do not believe me. poo poo is ridiculous, I am platinum, literally everyone else is worse than me in this game. gently caress noobs forever, I will instakill them.

In my last game I pwned the loving crying blood poo poo out of a Darius and my team blamed me for the loss because I ulted into their stupid, poo poo, piece of gently caress fights and tried to carry them kicking and screaming. It didn't work because they were pieces of poo poo

Gowby you're my hero.

Unrelated, why does no one play Malzahar? He's badass.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Super Librarian posted:

I had a 100% identical revelation the first time I played Gangplank too, he's so bad but he's so much fun and feels so good to play (aside from the cast time on E).

This is how I feel about Malzahar.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Need a new ADC and I can't decide if I should wait for Kalista or just go with Lucian. I fear for my sanity trying to play Kalista in SoloQ.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Amergin posted:

Worse than the Sejuani influx:

The number of bad Threshes will be monstrous... :ohdear:

Weeaboo supports all in this.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Kalista is fun as poo poo to play, but definitely needs a late game nerf. Her early game is so hard to deal with though. Her crazy slow attack animations make CS'ing against even a semi-competent opponent means it's pretty easy to tell where you're going, and god help you if you mis-click and jump forward right into a leona or braum. However, as soon as you get a few items, namely Berserker Greaves and Statikk Shiv you just start going off the chain.

If you snowball right you just demolish people, like seriously 4-5 hit non tank champions.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

Janna's ult bypass Warwick's suppression? what

You also can't Zhonya's out of his ult anymore, which I thought you used to be able to.

I've never been into AD Assassins, but I hit 30 finally and my buddy bought me Talon and I had a ton of fun and promptly got my first Pentakill. I've always had a pretty low opinions of faceroll champs like Katarina/Yi/Akali (and have played all of them and didn't find them fun, even if they're crazy good right now) but Talon has really been fun. I'd also like a champ I can reliably play SoloQ with.

How do I build him though? I got yelled at for building a Tiamat, and apparently build way too much Attack Speed. Do I just want to go for straight AD for my burst? I also heard that I need to build lots of cooldown for Talon. Besides a Brutilizer what can I get for that?

What about runes, do I just go straight AD for that too? I was thinking maybe some Armor Pen marks and then straight AD quints, and then cooldown glyphs or something similar.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Okay, awesome. I usually go for Mobis but I'm not very good at roaming so maybe I should either work on that or just go for CDR. I usually only end up with 20% CDR cause even end game I only have the 2 Brutalizer upgrades for that.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Am I dumb for thinking Essence Reaver is a decent choice for Talon? Of all the BF Sword items its the only one with CDR, and none of the other ones seem really spectacular on him. The mana restore passive is kind of pointless on him cause its only basic attacks though.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Aerox posted:

I got this at an LCS match like a year ago and it's shocking how many random people will stop and talk to me about League of Legends when they recognize it.

Also it's a really cool shirt.

Man I would hate that.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Obscurity posted:

Malzahar buffs :aaaaa:

Where did you see this? He's not on the official patch list.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What are you guys running for runes and masteries on Rek'Sai jungle? I was doing a tanky 9/21/0, did okay, switched to 21/9/0 and got wrecked. I just hit 30 also so my rune page is still a hodgepodge of random poo poo, so that may be part of my problem.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Why is Graves a top ADC again? I know he's always been good, but besides the Lucian/Corki nerfs, what has changed?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I mostly play ADC/Support but could never really get the hang of Graves. I can never get a solid early game going because of his short range and low base attack speed. Maybe I'll try him again.

I almost exclusively play Thresh support, mostly because I like his kit and can pick him into most team comps. Does anyone have any random tips on how to improve with him? I've finally gotten down his lantern and my hooks aren't bad. Do you mostly just build him straight tanky? I usually go Sightstone>upgraded Ancient coin>Mobi boots>First tanky item (usually Randuinn's/Sunfire/FH depending on enemies), which seems to work pretty well.

Also, when the gently caress does Blood Moon Thresh come out? It has said "Purchase Now" for days but won't let me unlock it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

With the MP5 changes do you still usually start Chalice on Azir? I usually do just because the MR is useful in mid, but I almost feel like Morellonomicon might be a better choice some games.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Luna Was Here posted:

Morello's is usually a much better choice since it gives more AP, the same amount of CDR and a slgihtly lower amount of mana regen while being cheaper. It is also good late game since it reduces healing that late game carries/beeftanks tend to do

Is his CDR/Attack Speed passive enough that I don't need to build any Attack Speed? I run scaling CDR glyphs and then usually buy Morello/Ionian boots of Lucidity and just go straight AP after that.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Luna Was Here posted:

I don't do it whenever I play him but I think Methanar/Caster Minion gets Nashors on him but hes Diamond and i am not so I have like no idea

I've heard a lot of people rush Nashor's first, which I can see because you spend so much of your early game just Auto Attacking with your soldiers. I haven't even tried it, which might explain my consistently awful early game.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is Elise still a competent jungler? I see her played occasionally, and I only really have Rek'Sai as a jungler, so I was thinking about getting her.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Hell yeah, Scarlet Hammer Poppy. If I ever played her it'd be with that skin.

And I don't get the argument about spending money on champions/skins. LoL is fun. I can spend money on it to have fun. Or I can spend my money to go watch a movie or go buy drinks. It's all fun.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

sushibandit posted:

How do I stop being poo poo at Azir? Just got wrecked hard vs a Lux, ending with 4/10/14. We still won because her team was terrible, but so was my score.

Current build order is doran/hpots/ward, catalyst stinger boots1, roa nashors sorc boots, then deathcap zhonyas and (random other useful thing).

Once I make it to mid/late game I'm useful for chasing/splitting teams, but before that it feels like I just get poo poo on with mediocre damage output. Ganks are easy enough to coordinate with the jungle but my output just feels anemic as hell until I've finished both roa & nashor, which can't be right.

I literally just started playing him, but I feel like I've seen a bunch of other people here do the same so I'll give my (Bronze V) advice.

I start Dorans/double biscuit/ward, but I almost always go straight into Boots of Ionian Lucidity then onto Morellos. The CDR on the boots helps your attack speed and you can either choose to get the Fiendish Codex next (for CDR and AP) or the Forbidden Idol (Mana Regen). I usually go mana regen because while Azir scales really well his early game is about staying alive, getting CS, and zoning your opponent out of as much CS as possible.

Mid game I move directly into a Deathcap, though if it's some like a Fizz/Zed or just a heavy AD team maybe Seeker's Armguard into Zhonya's. Around level 12 you'll start just balling out. You Q slows and you can E around the map with some decent positioning. You're obviously vulnerable to assassins, but your ult is great for that.

His late game is so baller though. In two days I've gotten about four Quadra Kills just from people being grouped and my Qs just slicing through everyone.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

You mean when they lowered his skill floor. He became easier to play.

Speaking of, any pro Rumble players want to give me some tips? I've actually been crushing it with him top lane, though I still definitely have problems managing his Heat.

His laning phase isrough early though, how can I go about not pushing the wave so hard? Between his Q and E I can always get a lot of harass off on the enemy champ, but when I do it inevitably pushes the lane and then I'm stuck way up by the tower and tend to get ganked.

I almost always go Doran Shield> Haunting Guise>Sorcs>Rylai's>Liandry's>Void Staff>Rabadon's>situational 6th. I almost prefer to start Cloth/5 though, because if the enemy comp is at all AD heavy Zhonya's is a must and I feel like I have an easier time with 5 health pots going into a Seeker's than I do Doran's Shield into Haunting Guise. Would you guys recommend rushing Liandry's before Rylai's though? I like the slow on Rylai's for my Q, but the proc on Liandry's is awesome also.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What do you guys think about scaling CDR Gylphs on Gnar? Everyone seems to use straight MR, but I've found that there aren't many items I use on him that have CDR. If I get Sorcery and those runes, then build a Black Cleaver/Ghostblade (which are sometimes my 2 damage items in my build) then that'll hit me my cap. I've found that 40% (or 30% if I go BoRK) can be a huge difference in the CC I can lay down in Mega Gnar.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Renekton seems like a toplane shitlord. I know he got nerfed a while ago, but how come I never see him?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So is trundle a top tier jungler in S5? I haven't seen him a lot but I got straight wrecked by a TP jungle trundle the other day and have been thinking about buying him with all this IP I have.

Also, the garbage trundle splash is so ugly, but the actual skin looks fantastic.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I think it was probably the second LoL match I ever played when I saw a Sona and said "I bet they have an awesome DJ skin for her" and was so disappointed when they didn't. Now the day is finally here and I will happily throw out $35 or whatever for a skin on a champion I rarely play.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Don't worry, they'll give him a 150% speed boost while he has a soldier on the field to compensate for his low mobility pre-6.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Darth Windu posted:

That was still really fun. I got mad @ my team but I disconnected instead of yelling at them so I'm proud of that. I was kinda mean in twitch chat but oh well sometimes I can't suppress my anger at my bad teams. I'm collecting more and more evidence that I am either targeted by riot admins or Flamingblack himself, who is under investigation by my legal counsel currently for comments made during this stream, or I am just really unlucky which is possible but unlikely. Thanks for tuning in it was a good game for everyone but Orianna who fed theri Zed super hard and let him carry.

Never change Gowby.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What do I do as Swain Top/Mid? Do I just go RoA and Zhonya's and be a tanky shitlord and throw birds everywhere?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I really wish riot would release some sort of video or have an extended training thing. Teaching you how to press Q is one thing, but that teaches you nothing of actual game mechanics.

Even the most basic fundamentals like CSing, itemization, gold generation, AP vs AD, dragon and baron buffs, and jungling are things you only learn after like 100 games.

If the environment wasn't so toxic players might actually say "make sure you're last hitting minions to get the gold from them" instead of "learn to farm you loving human being". But that will never happen.

I still remember constantly getting yelled at for leashing improperly until some kind soul explained to me why I was even asked to do it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Can we all just start posting every game we win, or is it just Methanar cause he's diamond? If we can id like to get some free validation from strangers for winning my unranked normals.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How do you guys stomach ranked when you know you're probably not going to get the role and pick you want? 99% of the time I play I want a specific champion in a specific role, which is why I always play team builder.

Every time I play ranked (all of about 15 games) I'm like 3rd pick and end up having to do something I didn't want and the whole game feels like a chore.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I play all roles. What I mean is that when I sit down I'll think "man I want to play some nunu jungle" or "I wanna play an adc". Then if I jump in a ranked and end up having to support or whatever it's a bummer.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

When I'm playing Support Annie what runes and masteries should I take? I feel like Hyrbid Marks would be good since I'm AA'ing a lot with AP/level glyphs and straight AP Quints, but I'm not sure whether I should be going like 21/0/9, 9/0/21, or /0/9/21.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Methanar posted:

Just because you don't understand how to use a simple program doesn't mean the games poo poo.

Stop projecting.

Paypal me $50 and I'll tell you how to do it.

Please post more pics of your glorious rise to Challenger and maybe a few more screencaps of people awing over Caster Minion, The Anivia God, Lord of NA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Jolly well posted:

the only time i would ban katarina is if my team was stupid and had no cc, and the only time i would ban blitzcrank is if i knew my bot lane were shitters that would repeatedly die to hooks or my team was full of people who love to roam in the enemy jungle. the problem is with the current banning system you have no way of having that information before the picks are made since you ban before the picks, so its basically admitting that your team is losing from the get go. i dont want to be a person that believes my team is incompetent before even playing.

i suppose if you had a really negative view of the game those 2 bans make sense but it just seems completely irrational to me.

None of what you said makes any sense in the context of SoloQ. Since you're typically playing with 4 strangers there's no way you're going to know if Bot Lane is garbage or if your Jungler has never played Olaf or whatever. With 4 strangers, probably 2 of which will play whatever they feel like playing even if the enemy composition demands a lot of hard CC or poke or whatever, banning someone like Katarina is never a bad decision and certainly doesn't scream out "Our team is full of scrubs and we're sure to lose". How would you even know if your team had no CC before anyone has chosen a champ?

Annie is a perennial danger that can Stun>100-0 people through much of the game, Katarina is extremely well known for snowballing out of control without proper coordination, and a decent Blitz hook can end a late game when one person gets caught out by even a little bit as well as being extremely punishing to the bot lane during laning phase. All of those are solid bans.

Now if you're doing ranked 5v5s then bans become a lot more specific because coordination is a lot more solid and you will likely have a specific team comp as opposed to the FOTM/"Yasuo Mid or feed" picks that ordinarily go on in SoloQ. None of those bans have anything to do with having a negative opinion of your team, they're just good general bans given the statistical strengths of those champs in SoloQ, especially below Plat.

• Locked thread