Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There has basically never been a time a DOTA player came into the LOL thread and asked the two to compare one another that it hasn't been an attempt at stupid fanboy poo poo-stirring. I presume the same is true in the DOTA thread which I follow less since none of my friends currently play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Mash posted:

Let's change the topic.

How does high-end League of Legends compare to custard? I've tried low-end League and compared it to jam but I am specifically wondering about high end League vs custard in this case.

Custard is less likely to end with racial slurs and self-loathing so it's clearly inferior.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kubla Khan posted:

I asked the same question in the Dota 2 thread and got a few meaningful replies, most were obviously very biased but I got some interesting points from ex-League players.

Only reason I asked the same question here was to be more informed instead of staying in the 'the other game is poo poo because I don't play it' frame of mind. 'Trolling' i.e. poo poo-stirring for its own sake was absolutely not my intention and I'm kind of surprised at the hostility my question provoked.

I guess this kind of attitude doesn't cut it in this thread (against the rules, too?). Was worth a try asking, at least.

You are someone who regularly posts in the DOTA thread and made comments about how boring you find LoL. The 'gosh, I didn't know, why are you all being so mean, the DOTA thread is so much nicer" act isn't fooling anyone.

If you want to know what people like about LoL, feel free to ask actual questions, but when a DOTA player wanders into the thread and starts trying to compare, people are genuinely not going to assume you're asking so innocently after every previous time has been someone trying to start stupid thread-derailing crap because it has happened multiple times. If you have question about the mechanics, metagame or general appeal, people will probably honestly answer, but ask them instead of trying to make it DOTA-related.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 8, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's no Naut skin better than Astronaut anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kubla Khan posted:

I couldn't get into LoL after 5 games as I didn't like the gameplay. Which is exactly why I came asking if the gameplay is much different at a higher level and what is does it feel like, compared to Dota 2. That is, maybe my only very slightly informed opinion of it was wrong.

If you only wish to see your imaginary worst in people, I guess I feel sorry for you.

On the off chance that you're not a troll then, here is my general feeling as someone who likes both DoTA and LoL but has stopped playing the former due to none of my friends playing it:

DotA 2 is a more mechanically complex game but also one more bogged down by its history. In some ways this is good as it allows depth that LoL doesn't have but it also makes it much less welcoming to new players and has elements and design decisions which are carried on the back of its history as a WC3 mod. LoL feels more streamlined and easier to play and that makes it much easier to get friends into playing it. The "easier to get people into" thing matters a lot to me because both communities are absolutely toxic shitholes from which no good escapes and so without friends to play it with I wouldn't bother. I will say that the DOTA community during my time was worse than the LoL community but that isn't really high praise for LoL.

I'm a dedicated support player and I find that both games have their own advantages and disadvantages when it comes to the gameplay. I feel more active in DotA but I enjoy myself more in LoL (assuming a good partner and not weedgoku69 screaming obscenities at me because I didn't save him from 3v1ing the enemy team.) The pacing is very different between the two games in both good and bad ways. I think a lot of DotA players tend to go "it's different, ergo it's bad," without taking the context in entirely. (It may go the same way with LoL to DotA but I played DotA first.) I think there are things in LoL that DotA could do ripping off and vice-versa. (I miss Couriers so much.)

At high levels, DotA feels more knowledge-based and LoL feels more based on pure twitch skills, at least to me. There is obviously knowledge necessary in LoL and twitch necessary in DotA but I feel like DotA's play is a lot more deliberate and artificial. (I am not someone who finds artificial to be bad.) This also contributes to DotA having more flexible lane comps. The general flow of gameplay between the two games is fairly different though and I don't really think in a "x is better than y" way, aside from personal preference and the occasional meta that is intolerably poo poo.

Neither is a bad game and the fact that the fans of both have to turn it into a poo poo-throwing thing is a big part of why I have to pick the one I can play with friends instead of being able to play the one I'm in the mood to play. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oddity posted:

I'm having a friendly argument with a friend about the "Free"ness of F2P games, especially LoL. Any of you guys have all the champs, but never spent any money on them? (skins are ok, since they don't affect gameplay)

And how long would it take if you played let's say 5 games a day, to get enough IP for all the champs?

I've never bought a champion with RP and have them all. It took a while but I didn't play that many games a day. I also had a bunch of champions I never would have bothered with if I didn't have IP sitting there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oddity posted:

I guess I should have qualified that, can you also mention how long you've played?

I've been playing since... Season 2 I guess? But I'm not as regular a player and I know more regular players have gotten every champion in less time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wow, you people have played a whole hell of a lot more LoL than I have.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Janna every season all season every role.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

On the subject of Gangplank, this rework suggestion popped up on Imgur the other day and it's....interesting to say the least.

http://imgur.com/gallery/IDknap8

I really don't agree that the ult needs focused damage. Its ability to influence teamfights globally is already really strong, especially with the attached slow. More damage would make it more powerful but not really in an interesting way. I've always felt like the slow is the most influential part of that kit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

my pog boyfriend posted:

What?

...what? Why do you want the ult to be random damage? That's the most infuriating thing in the game, and the reason why I don't want to play GP. There are an extremely few amount of abilities where you can legitimately say they sometimes don't perform up to your expectations, and for whatever reason GP's ult is not only one of them, but it's like that by design. On an ultimate! Why should an ultimate be fundamentally tied to RNG?

Because a focused damage ult with a slow that is also global would be hilariously powerful and be destined for nerftown, and of the three elements most important to the design, I feel the damage is the last of them. The random element allows it the chance to do serious damage, encourages players to run out of it as fast as possible, and still allows it to bankfarm from a distance pretty effectively.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 10, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nrook posted:

I've heard this a lot from various people, and I still don't get it. Why do you hate Zilean? Why does anyone hate Zilean? Zilean is great. Permaslow dudes all day while putting bombs on their heads. Save lives on a 180 second cooldown ult that's actually 25 seconds. Also pretend to be Annie with your 600 range autos.

I had to stop playing Zilean because my split-second reaction time is garbage, but he's still great and I do miss him.

Zilean's big problem to me is that W is a really boring skill. It's crazy-low cooldown but on a constant W mash. There's no real thought about it once you have some form of mana and cooldown. It is an iconic skill but it's a really lovely and boring one.

I like playing him but I'd rather have something with Rewind beyond just "mash W until Ult comes back up."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

The new Gangplank ult will now follow a target; Riot doesn't balance anything else around this and he becomes a must-ban in LCS for two months.

Followed by them changing it so it is no longer global and also pretty lovely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NTT posted:

Real question: why not just use twitch?

Twitch is pulling some really stupid content-licensing bullshit so a lot of people are migrating away from it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

15 minutes for a teambuilder game, cool I hate new champ day. I also hate that my friend has to buy every new champ immediately and play it.

15 minutes for a teambuilder game seems average to me unless you grab Marksman, Support and Jungler in advance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I prefer Talismen when playing with pubs just because it is safer if they can't handle the other side.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharzak posted:

Rammus is horrifically overpowered

Really? I don't think he's terrible but I haven't seen him pulling any OP strings.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Riot seems to have no clear core concept of why they make skins. They just put them out for whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AHH FUGH posted:

Fun aesthetic things are for fun and pure aesthetics. Shocking.

Fun aesthetic things sold for money usually have a bit more focus behind them instead of seeming scattershot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

It's really no big deal at all, it's all just a fun bunch of skins, some sets of which are themed together. The Arcade and Last Boss for instance. Or all the Commandos. There's enough, thematically, going on to meet your criteria.

Well, the Commando skins make sense. They're all Demacian. There's not really any coherent theme to the champions chosen for the Arcade skins beyond "I guess we had an Arcade idea for them." They also happened to go mostly to champions who also have an absurd amount of skins.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AHH FUGH posted:

I'd like to hear what your suggestions are in that case. What, exactly, would you like to see?

From a personal perspective I'd like to see more skins for champions who have only a small handful or haven't gotten new skins in a long time. There's obvious problems with this (i.e: Sion ain't getting poo poo till he's reworked) but in general it would be nice if they'd at least not keep pumping out skins for Champions who already have a huge number of available skins.

They're doing a bit better with this with Aatrox or Yasou getting new skins but it really does stand out that each Arcade/Last Boss skin went to a champion who already has a bunch.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 30, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kayle7 posted:

lets make them post in gbs as punishment

I'm pretty sure that falls under cruel and unusual punishment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

You should move to the first world!

You're a monster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I believe you mean Marksman.
:goonsay:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Besides, you pretty much can't throw a rock without hitting enough items with incidental cdr to put you over the cap, since they decided to put it on goddamned everything. It's almost harder as a mage to not cap out on cdr, especially if you buy mana regen.

I almost wish CDR was on less stuff at times because I feel like it's ridiculously hard not to hit the cap and from there it feels like wasted stats.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also fighting games are actually fairly frequently unbalanced.

It is just that fighting games have a different business model where they prefer to release new versions of the game with significant gameplay tweaks instead of regular balance patches. Fighting games are also only just now entering an era where frequent balance patches are even a possibility and there are still things making it hard. (Marvel vs Capcom 3 can't be patched anymore due to licensing issues for example.)

You can't get something in Street Fighter like a rework in League of Legends. If a character is completely nonviable you wait for the next full revision or they suck forever, barring someone figuring out more tech.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Marceline Abadeer posted:

No new champion will ever be as scary as release Diana. Goddamn.

Xin who?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just realize it's been a while since I updated my rune pages. Are there any good guides for the current rune sets?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Double Bass posted:

The chat service being down prevents buying mystery gifts as well, which is pretty lovely considering apparently there's a double gift event active. Thanks Riot, that'll teach my friend to have his birthday today.

Wait, there is? I didn't hear anything about this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ooh, okay, they're boosting legendary chances, not "two skins for one buy."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

I don't like that enemies can see Ekko's ultimate shadow.

It's no different than them seeing Oriana's Ball or Annie's stun aura honestly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

I think that orianna's ball is kind of a lot different...

It's different in gameplay terms but in the purpose it's basically giving you information you need to avoid attacks. It doesn't make much sense for it to have no-visibility considering it otherwise has a non-standard range.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So the only Jungler I've found that I really enjoy is Naut. I like his ganks, I like his shitloads of CC and I like being a giant beefwall. Can anyone recommend another jungler who fits a similar niche for the inevitable time Naut gets support-picked/banned/whatever?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sounds like Sej is the way to go. Thanks!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The earlier recommendation about Sej was quite on the mark. I went 16/0/12 my first time playing her.

Somehow that was only worth an S-. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gibberish posted:

If this game has the most toxic community in the world, and it's the most popular game, then surely the least toxic community would be in the least popular game? Because I have to start playing that game.

Go ask HoN how toxic their community is/was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bland posted:

The gently caress?

How utterly useless lmao

e; Wait is that replacing the old effect or is it an additional effect? If it's the latter, why does sweeper need the buff? If the former, see above.

It looks like they're nerfing other trinkets too based off the thing I can find.

It's pretty unclearly phrased though so it could go either way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Jesus Christ, is the loving Dota/LoL poo poo starting up again?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So basically this is the final member of Team Global Teleport.

Shen, Rek'sai, Twisted Fate, Catfish and whoever the hell you want as ADC. Appear at a dragon fight at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like Exhaust is a safer pick. If you're duo-queuing with someone you can trust then ignite has a strong early game that you can use to bully but Exhaust is way better for pubby-guarding and it still scales well into the later game.

• Locked thread