Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It's possible to narrow down the new Legendary skin recipient now, if you check various sources. Should be soon, and I'm pretty excited for it. There was a list of leaks on the official forums for a day or two before it was removed; it mentioned strong hints towards who it would be that coincide with what Morello's said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Monathin posted:

Do we actually have any other hints other than the letter A is the fourth letter in one of the champs skills? I'm curious (and I want to see if it's Lux or Nautilus who get the Legendary).
They also have a vowel in their name (which still doesn't discount Nautilus or Lux)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Are there any champions without vowels?
Good point :downs:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

On some level I pity their poor customer service folks.
Usually it isn't even Riot that sees the angry customers, it's the social media managers and the volunteers like me who have to calm them down every time servers go down. Although Player Behavior probably gets the biggest brunt of awful people per day since it's their job to go through chat logs and bans and talk to unhappy customers who got chat banned.

Just be glad you aren't on EUW or EUNE which are both down probably three hours combined throughout the day.

e: This is the fun stuff:

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 9, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Colonel Squish posted:

gently caress no video games for a couple hours I'm a goner
You dont loving understand you twat I am self-intitled and the most goddamn custoer this company has I demand someone be sitting in the office at 2:00am on a weekday night to answer my question and compensate me for the 3 hours I had bad games or I will leaf for dota 2

I used to play Warcraft in 2006 or 2007 and when it was patch day the whole game would randomly be taken down for days at a time without a whole lot warning or explanation, and I was the same age as some of these people swarming the forums like ants to a picnic to talk about how important of a customer they are and how they're switching to DOTA 2.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 9, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

fnox posted:

I strictly have to play through a VPS in order to be able to get a stable connection. What the gently caress. It's not even the server issues the game becomes unplayable at peak hours, I'm not sure at this point if it is my ISP or something weird about the routing because using a VPS solves the issue entirely.
I'm not a networking expert or anything, but I've got a smaller ISP in a rural part of the east coast, and I've almost never gotten connectivity issues. Three people can be lagged out of a game and I'm chugging along at the same 98 to 115 ping I've always gotten. My friend across the country lives closer to LA and has less than 15 ping, but she has Comcast and is constantly getting dropped or disconnected from games.

It sounds a whole lot like it has to do with the ISPs and how they handle their traffic.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Obscurity posted:

This about sums up my experience as well. Crappy DSL in east coast with 10 mbps speed and I get 95-115 ping and never disconnect / lag out unless riot servers implode.
The people who have the most issues are the ones on the largest ISP. Comcast, TWC, ect. With courts leaning in favor of businesses in Net Neutrality instead of of the people + the internet, I wouldn't be surprised if they're intentionally interrupting traffic to websites, services, and games so they can squeeze out money from them later as a promise to provide their customers with "stable" internet.

That could all be conspiracy talk but it's definitely based on ISPs and the reason so many people have these issues are because there's so many people on these lovely providers.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

AD Thresh was almost a thing when he came out because he was so over-tuned, but he's been nerfed two dozen times since then and you're an idiot if you try it again. AD Lulu was almost a thing too, but her ratios get nerfed every patch.

People build AD Kayle all the time.

But generally the trick is to build someone AP that's usually a tank or better off in a different roll, since long ago Riot put AP scaling on every ability for god knows why and it created some really funky gimmick builds (AP Tryndamere and AP Master Yi were terrors that Riot reworked so they were impossible to exist).

The most interesting AP -> AD build I can remember doing was building AD Ahri in a one-hour game One-For-All against heimer where I just couldn't stand the loving game anymore and built AD to backdoor towers, and a bit of defense so I wouldn't get KO'd by them; She was a pretty decent split-pusher but not good enough to become a full-time gimmick.

As far as tanks going DPS, EU LCS builds DPS Malphite all the time because they're dumb, and AP/Bruiser Cho'Gath is something that works. AP and AD Maokai both work right now but he's really over-tuned and there's no way he's making it another patch.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

my pog boyfriend posted:

AP gimmick tier list(all champions taken at their prime):

Rengar > Trynd = Yi >>> Tristana > Alistar = Gangplank = MF >> All
Can you call Gangplank a gimmick build? What even is supposed to be his standard build? His kit is so weird that you can build him any way you can imagine and it will still work.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

The best way to build GP if you want to actually win is basically the Nasus build of FH+SV+Defensive Boots into a Triforce. Gives you a ton of tankiness, sustain, and team utility while still fitting in a damage item. The best way to build GP if you are playing on a smurf is to build Shiv into IE and 100-0 people with like 2 Q's and 2 autos.
There's still Mageplank, Supportplank, and even sometimes ADC Gangplank too though, he is so gimmicky that there is no standard. I remember seeing Hai take him mid and exploit his Q with Tiamat and it would give him bonus gold for the splash on tiamat, so he would work minions down to really low health, Q, and get all the bonuses of his Q over multiple minions.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The new Gangplank ult will now follow a target; Riot doesn't balance anything else around this and he becomes a must-ban in LCS for two months.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Verviticus posted:

"invisible power"
Hopefully that will lead to them getting rid of every single character that has a passive/toggle ability in the game. Like why would you even have Cho'Gath's toggled off?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Remember to ban Gnar in ranked. Not because he's good, just to keep moron rear end turds off your team. A high skill, moderate damage gimmick champion? Sure first time in ranked let's go :downs:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Waffle! posted:

I've only played two games as Gnar, but I like him. I've been building tanky AD, because he's so squishy. What masteries and gear works best for him?
I wouldn't expect much about optimal Gnar for a couple weeks. It's kinda like when Kha'Zix came out and no one knew what to do, so he sucked. When Lucian came out, and no one knew what he did so he sucked, and Vel'Koz came out and he still sucks.

Someone's going to figure out he's an awesome jungler or ADC or something and then he'll be strong, but he isn't insanely over-buffed at launch and he's not as straight-forward as Braum or Yasuo.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Brannock posted:

Yasuo had the worst winrate in the game for a few weeks when he was first released. "Straightforward" doesn't necessarily mean easy to learn or powerful on release.
I can remember a dozen times I won lane against Yasuo and he just wandered off and got kills off other lanes. The issue was probably that attracted the Master Yi crowd.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I really like the no-tolerance policy that Lyte is starting to take with really toxic players. The experiment they did with 14-day bans for people using homophobic/racial/sexist slurs turned out to be really successful, and it's really admirable that a company known for having one of the worst online communities is taking steps to punish that behavior

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Libertine posted:

Official game forums basically exist to channel all of the negativity of the internet into one place where trained professionals can moderate it.
No one ever trained me, they just gave me a Heimerdinger skin

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The forums are down too. Isn't one of the thread regulars a Q/A guy? Poor dude.
They're going slower, but they're up now? I don't know what's going on, no one said anything in skype about it.

e: Either the servers are having issues or it's a DDoS attack. Has PhantonLord pissed someone else off?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

lilspooky posted:

Been playing more support than normal lately and it's a position I really need to practice. How do you guys run the more unusual AP supports like Karma or Vel'Koz?
Try out Annie as well, she's really easy to hit her abilities with, especially when compared to Karma and Vel'Koz

Spellthief -> Sight Stone then pretty much build like any AP carry.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

lilspooky posted:

Err you're right, dunno why I said that. :haw:

Ok that's basically what I was doing with Vel'Koz tonight. Worked out ok for the most part.

For some reason I've always had the hardest time getting Annie to click. A large part of it, I think, is her really short range. I'll occasionally have a good game with her but it's usually on ARAM. I'll give it more work though.
You decide if you want to max Q (Distance stun) or W (Cone stun) first, you always keep your stun on 3 or 4 stacks, and you initiate hard and often. It's like playing Leona in low elo, just go all in, all day if you've got the advantage and bully them out of lane with her good damage. Annie's AA range is absurd too, so take advantage of that as well. Then when you get tibber, flash stun all day, there's almost no harder engage if you're support.

If you get good with Annie all your ADC is there to do is absorb CS while you farm champion kills.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

"slow"

we all know what u did, u r not fooling us
But he is. Stop replying to him and he'll go the way of Warchicken and Austrian Mook and only show up once in a blue moon

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The pre-season is always the best time to play League because of things like Spellvamp Singed, Super Bruiser Taric, and affording a Deathcap on Annie support quicker than your mid-laner can.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

SlyFrog posted:

For those who are discussing getting out of Bronze, I'm also back with my periodic statement that the game is just going to go in streaks.

I sat around in Bronze forever this year (probably a couple hundred games, give or take 50). A bunch of that was in Bronze V and IV, and I really couldn't move.

Then probably in 30-40 games, for some odd loving reason I shot up to promos for Silver IV. Still do not know exactly why it happened.

Then floated around in Silver V for a bunch of games basically going 50/50 or slightly better.

Now, for reasons similarly unknown to me, I've gone 5 wins and 15 losses in my last 20 games. I may actually be about to test that, "What does it take to drop from Silver to Bronze" question that has been asked here before (though I have not gotten a warning that I'm about to drop yet).
If you were in Bronze V/IV this season I think it's more than likely you just got really lucky and ended up in Silver when you shouldn't have.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Does anyone here play League on a Mac? I wanna get a new Macbook Pro and I want to make sure it's able to run League decently/better than my regular PC so I can just replace my whole desktop.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

chumbler posted:

They're still trying to convince people that team builder was ever going to be used for anything other than people running Riot-Approved Holy Meta teams?
Someone running their own TB can use it to get whatever they want as long as they can find four other players. But what usually happens is someone trying to play a new champ/role that wants to guarantee that position, and they spend 20 minutes in TB looking for a jungler and/or support for a standard team. It's still better than normals for when you don't want to argue with people in the lobby over roles

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Brannock posted:

I informed them that they weren't doing any damage whatsoever, "You aren't doing any damage whatsoever, buy Void Staffs" and I was told that I was being reported for saying that.

We saw the exact same thing happen here on SA, and the moderators corroborated it with their own experience: once they stopped putting people on probation for absolutely trivial reasons, the number of reports drastically dropped. The fact that Riot frequently and actively bans people for itembuild advice or picking the Wrong Champion in ranked is actively contributing to how angry and upset people get about Wrong-playing in the League of Legends.
No one gets banned for this and neither will you. They're trivial reports, and Player Support looks through everything now and they don't enforce those kinds of trivial reports.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Victorious Morganna is this year's skin for hitting Gold+. Championship skin still hasn't been released yet (to my knowledge)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Jerkface posted:

this owns, amazon prime owns
Amazon buying a company out is usually the best cooperate buyout possible. I've had nothing but incredible service from Amazon since I got Prime for the first time in 2009 or so.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Alris posted:

Riot have been knocking it out of the park lately with their skins, six months ago I'd agree with you about them possibly half-assing it but they've raised the bar on what they're putting out. Would be nice if they spread the love to other champs though instead of releasing Veigar's 9th skin, as great as it is.
Riot's always just made the skins their artists want to make, which is why there's a lot of skins for popular champions (Like Ezreal) and not a lot for ugly or unappealing champions (like skarner)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

You can get really in-depth about Quinn's abilities and how they work but at the end of the day her ultimate is good for a 1v1 duel or maybe catching a straggler off, her passive is unreliable in teamfights, her E can easily put her in harm's way, and it's really hard to aim her Q into a relevant target when people are balled up.

She's great at doing the same thing Tryndamere does, which is split-push, duel, run away. She isn't a hyper-carry, she isn't an AD caster, she isn't high damage she isn't a safe ranged picked, and she isn't even an all-around. She's extremely niche pick that you can beat losers in lane with and then give up using any of that gold on team-fighting because she's not very good at it.

There's a reason she isn't picked competitively (Except by QTpie when he's trolling) and it's because her kit really isn't built well for anything an ADC wants in this meta.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Anora posted:

Which makes it funnier that I swept in and destroyed at a team fight as Valor. It was just a run in, hit E to get to my target, Q to blind their team, and then R to kill the ADC and a caster, then just start picking off what's left off the rest.

You want to say that she's not good at being an ADC, but then you want her to do what you want to do, instead of what she's built to do.

I want to address the E putting her into Danger thing, yeah it can put her in danger, but it can also be used to get away. With an E hop, then an AA hit to the target, you get a decent Move speed buff and it can save you.
Are you actually in Bronze 5? Because if you are it explains two things here.

e:

quote:

Just wondering did anyone else notice that Thresh actually picks up the souls he collect with his lantern, so you can actually just toss he W out to grab souls under a Turret?
oh yap you might be. My friend used to play Jungle Sion with ignite and Surge and got a pentakill. Anything is possible in the annals of bronze.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

TheModernAmerican posted:

He admits to it a few posts ago.

Unless B stands for bliver or something?
With some people in this thread it's impossible to tell if they're legitimately stupid or just trolling. At least they bothered to read Quinn's abilities but glaringly missed all the reasons why Quinn isn't a good ADC.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

I'm still not convinced that purposeful drop hacking is currently a thing. There was a period a few months ago where it happened so often that it seemed like it was, but currently I think we're having games that crash for unrelated reasons and people just start yelling DROPHACK.

Note: What a drophack is - To do a drophack, you send the server input it can't handle, but doesn't realize it can't handle, so it blows up spectacularly in the attempt. For instance, if you designed a game to have 10 player characters, and then fed in data from player 48,272. Poor programming practice wouldn't immediately discard this data, but try to access player 48,272, which would almost certain access bad memory, crashing the game you're currently in.

The previous drophack was likely a similar exploit in a weird corner case they hadn't thought of. It's not like botting exploits where you obfuscate the data, and your hackers will eventually find a way to get at the data(because it's on their own computer) and send it back as they choose. A given drophack exploit will be closed and there's no reason to expect it to reopen, though Riot could still have unknown ones and they could accidentally introduce a new one in the future.

This has been "I used to do server work for bideo games" with theflyingorc.
I work with support & tech and they've already acknowledged that player-driven drophacking is a thing, and have publicly banned people for doing it. There's no cover-up for it or anything :psyduck:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

When? Again, I'm pretty sure it was happening a few months ago. I'm not claiming that there's a conspiracy, but there's been a trend of every time a game crashes and the record of the game is gone (which is what you'd expect when the actual game crashes), people come in this thread and say that they definitely got drophacked. That IS what happens when you get drophacked, but it's also what would happen if an odd corner case in the code could try to divide by 0.
Well right now people are just DDoSing the servers, so it's probably that and not drop-hacking. I think Blizzard and Twitch are also getting hit too. There are still ways to drophack games but for really obvious reasons I'm not going to talk about them

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

RC Cola posted:

Does anyone have a link to that top 20 video? I read about it at work but every video I find doesn't match the hype and I can't find the link in the thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aLqfaRr7y0

This one?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

itsjustdrew posted:

That's the thing, I'm playing as a team player, as supports tend to, I'm getting more than 20 assists every game, and <10 deaths. I just can't seem to get the finishing blow in sometimes.
If you're as good as you think you are, you'll lead your team to victory. Good warding, pinging for objectives, communicating in chat. If you get ahead in lane really well people tend to listen to you.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Mysticblade posted:

http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.co...-and-discussion

Soraka rework. Too radical for me to judge, honestly.
SivHD's gimmick Soraka Jungle guide looks so much more legit

Soraka's E is adding to the list of abilities like Windwall and the new champion that makes a gimmick zoning team sound horrifying.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Droxis posted:

Annnnd the DDOS has begun. Cool way to poop on my one day off of the week. :v:
Yup. I wish DDoS attacks constituted as terrorism and we could send these 17 year old fucks who do it for "lulz xD" to Guantanamo Bay or something.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The servers came back up for a couple minutes because I never left from the game while trying to reconnect, ended up just pushing down mid with MF and winning a free game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Angry Walrus posted:

This seems a little extreme.

Have you considered going outside?
It's a joke. I don't really want to waterboard lovely teenagers, I'm sorry goons take everything on the internet seriously.

• Locked thread