Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

NTT posted:

pls refer all questions to the handy infographic

:a2m:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

chumbler posted:

Riven attracts the worst kind of people and is a terribly designed champion for many reasons, but the primary one is that she is manaless. As it turns out, manaless champions are and always have been incredibly stupid, but Riot continues to think they are a good idea and they can totally balance them.

This is really dumb and wrong. Riven is extremely well designed because everything she does is 100% skill-based. She requires incredible timing and positioning to do well, and without those she essentially makes the game a 4v5.

Mana, and resource systems in general other than energy, don't mean jack poo poo past laning and even then aren't a big deal early for most characters. Riven with mana wouldn't work because of how spammy she absolutely has to be to not die.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

How Rude posted:

Whether or not Nidalee was actually powerful before she got nerfed was debatable, but it wasn't debatable how much toplaners wanted to gouge their loving eyes out playing against her.

It's almost like this is a concept that shitters who play awful characters don't understand. Power level doesn't matter nearly as much as the frustration generated by their mere existence. Old Nidalee, Lee Sin, Akali whenever she's decent, pre-pre-pre-nerf Eve. None of those are necessarily overpowered, they're just loving douchebags that most of the playerbase doesn't want to have to deal with.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

chumbler posted:

That frustration can be mitigated a lot by either giving tools to deal with them or making those tools that might exist not suck or be wildly inefficient or cumbersome.

What tools exist to deal with old Nidalee's ridiculous range and safety, or Lee Sin's mobility, or even old Eve's surprise stuns? You can't improve invisivision without massively impacting wards, so that solution was right-out and thus why they had to nerf Eve. Akali will probably get similar treatment.

brennon posted:

If you want the best example of a 'degenerate' style of champion, look no further than Yorick top lane in certain matchups.

This is another excellent example. I'm kind of surprised that Viktor and Sion got reworks before Yorick did, because he was and still somewhat is actively toxic to the game.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

BigLeafyTree posted:

Also why is it okay for the game to have champs that are hyper carries late game but it's not okay to have lane bullies?

Because NO MORE DOTA or something along those lines.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Lane bullies tend to be obnoxious, boring shitheads like Renekton while late game hypercarries tend to be solo queue superstars like Vayne everyone wants to take over games with. I'm not sure either one is necessarily great, but I would rather watch/play with/play against a Vayne than a Renekton, if only because Renekton is a stupid, low effort champion, while Vayne is at least rather interesting when done well and is a relatively high skill cap champion.

The real problem is when late game hypercarries are also stupid, low effort champions that take no skill. See: Akali.

I agree that Akali needs a mini-rework, but saying she's low effort and takes no skill is really dumb.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Assuming equal skill and game knowledge, would Fiora or Riven win their matchup?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I lost the level 2 fight by half of an attack animation, and then the Riven steamrolled the game with 13 kills or something before the game crashed for me and another guy and my team presumably surrendered the 3-27 3v5. I can definitely see how that would work exactly the opposite too, though. It's a very skill-intensive matchup, and I'm nowhere near good enough for it :v:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you want a relatively easy to learn jungler that can't be "countered" as such while still being effective across all levels of play and in most situations, pick Jarvan. He's always been good at a little bit of everything, and can hold up in small engagements or teamfights equally well, counterjungle decently, build either really offensively or really tanky or somewhere in the middle, etc.

I don't even think he's banned much if at all. You should try him out for sure.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I think he's a lot of fun, personally. The only junglers I enjoy more are Vi and Udyr, and Vi is very similar to J4 in how they're played. But to each their own, I suppose.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

^^ The blitz thing is also wrong because he has a knockup on a 4 second cooldown which is really, really good in teamfights. Also everything you've said about ashe in the past couple pages is complete dogshit, gid gud.

This is true art.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Udyr is a great jungler when played by someone who actually knows how to play the game properly and take advantage of his unique ganking.

If you aren't blowing someone's flash every couple minutes, you're playing him wrong.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Malz's CC is nice, and his pushing power is second only to Ziggs, but the crippling lack of mobility in an era of Katarinas and Akalis and tons of easymode jungle ganks makes him pretty awful.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There's a newbie thread that will be a lot more useful for you, the link is in the OP. But as a dota player, there are a few big differences you'll want to take note of:

Denying, jungle creep pulling, and most other lane control mechanisms that were in DotA don't exist in LoL. There are ways to make a lane push back toward you, but they're a lot slower to get working and aren't as effective.

Big items are more efficient than small items. It's better to build your major items one at a time instead of keeping your inventory full of pieces, barring some exceptions like the Dorans items for the very early game.

Hard carries don't really exist. Most characters have a pretty good early game, and no character has an extremely strong lategame relative to everyone else barring extremely minor exceptions for players that are extremely good. If you get really far ahead in gold, though, you can still destroy teams singlehandedly, especially pre-30 when your opponents will probably not be very skilled.

There are probably a few other major things that I'm not remembering to mention, but you'll learn them. League is very forgiving, especially if you mute your team as soon as someone starts being a whiny baby so you don't have to deal with the human component.

EDIT: Oh, and never, ever, EVER buy tier 2 runes. They're a waste of your IP, which you'll need a lot of. As soon as you hit 20 you can buy the tier 3s, which are what you need for actual serious play. The tier 1 ones are fine for starting out though, they're cheap and they give you a bit of a boost until you can get real ones. Also always use flash as a summoner spell once you get to 12 and can use it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The internet infrastructure across the United States is hot garbage. To put it simply, all the hardware owned by distributors (Comcast, Verizon, etc.) is connected together by hardware a lot of which is owned or operated by Amazon (the company primarily known for its shopping website) and the interfacing between the two is terrible and/or gated deliberately. It's a hell of a lot more complicated than that, but that's why US East has poo poo latency for games like LoL and WoW which are hosted mostly on the west coast, and why most other countries, such as Brazil, have an easier time connecting to EU-based servers than US-based ones despite geographical distance suggesting it should work the other way.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What do you need to compile that in? Just in case I get drunk and decide it would be funny to do that on a throwaway smurf account for shits and giggles.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

1100+ AP Veigar is hilarious. Dumb, but hilarious.

Regarding teambuilder, captaining is really slow, but queueing is instant. It's because everyone is captaining, or something.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Why do you get Lizard on him instead of Golem?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That is true, but there's a difference between foul language and bigotry.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

YourHealthyColon posted:

That big picture of Vi fighting a golem is rad. I guess Riot is well aware of the fact that she is the best champ they've ever made so hopefully we'll see more like her . Though its only because she has 2 dashes and the most satisfying AA in the game

They really did something magical with the sound and feel of her attacks. She's been my favorite character since she was released, and it's almost entirely due to her general aesthetics. Punching people is fun!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

They should make Singed's poison proc Maokai's passive at the same rate it charges up tear. :getin:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I like how the status update says they need another hour or so... 16 hours ago. Good to know Riot is still excellent at server maintenance.

EDIT: Also if "Strategic Diversity" isn't in the S5 thread title I will be disappointed. Preferably in terrible pun form.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Trip report: Vi isn't very good right now.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I was thinking that it would be great to do that on a high-sustain AA-based jungler, but both Warwick and Xin get huge clearspeed benefits out of hitting one target at a time. Hm.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Udyr is really, really strong right now. I'm not sure how he compares to Warwick, but he definitely does work with Devourer, possibly even more than he did with pre-nerf Flare. It's hella good.

@Lightning Knight, I'm glad you got Vi to work. The games I ran with her I kinda hosed up the early clear.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Libertine posted:

I always just buy Alacrity now on the Zerk Greaves. I tend to get it really early too (relative to most people I find this is true of all the boot enchants, I generally like them on everybody at around the 2-item point). Having more move speed to passively rotate between lanes for farming/fights is more important to me than burst mobility in duels. Whether I'm at a team fight is going to matter more than whether I'm slightly faster for 2 seconds in the middle of one. If I get caught it's generally my own mistakes that led me there, not my speed during the fight.

I feel solidly pro boot enchant at ~2 item threshold on top laners (Distortion is awesome), supports (Captain is awesome), and jungle (Homeguard is awesome). I don't usually get boot enchants till much later on mid laners though because all the boot enchants are decisively not exciting for them.

I find myself getting homeguards a lot more often than I feel I should, on pretty much every type of character. When should I be getting Alacrity and why?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I just heard smite goes through invincibility and kills ignores guardian angel. Anyone seen this bug?

Hahahahahah loving :riot:

I can't wait to see what happens with Yorick's ult.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Arpen and CDR are extremely good, especially given that Xin already has % armor shred which ends up boosting the strength of flat pen. Xin doesn't really need the lifesteal from BORK as much because he has his W passive and will get naturally tanky from his ult on top of the items you're going to be building on him. The Ghostblade active is also really, really good because it helps you get in range for your E while also providing a nice aspeed bonus, whereas the bork active has roughly the same range as your E so you can already get on top of them if you need to. Tank shredding isn't really your job, you are supposed to either be peeling for your carry or dumpstering theirs, which means the %HP part of bork is a bit less useful.

That said, both are perfectly fine items on him.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Wrong thread.

Has anyone tried Amumu yet, and is he having issues or can he still clear well?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

People saying that Yasuo was overpowered on release are dumb. He was only a problem after they hilariously over-buffed him, which seems considerably unlikely to happen with Kalista now.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

K8.0 posted:

Please, go to Yasuo's patch history and point out the hilarious over-buffing he received.

They made his ult refresh his shield. Do you not understand what that did to him?

He was pretty fairly balanced on release, trading the QoL stuff he got in that patch for a very minor number decrease would have been fine, but instead they did that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is there any reason as Pantheon not to get the buff or another camp close to dragon before you kill him? He doesn't spawn until you've had time to do that anyway, and it puts you at level two plus having the buff and/or smite boost.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I dunno but Trynd can also kill Kayle through her ult, and vice versa. It's apparently red smite, though I don't know who else it works on.

Zac could already be smited though, and Anivia can be killed anyhow. Zilean is a revive passive, not an invincibility passive.

The real question, though, is how horrendously does it break Yorick's ult?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bot games, Dominion, ARAM, etc. don't count towards that number. A lot of people will level to 30 almost solely from bot Dominion games, which is unfortunate.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Aaaaaaand there's Ffoxface with the Kalista penta. I don't want to live anymore after losing to that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

curiousCat posted:

Why? She's decently strong.

I meant more that it was painful to lose against. You were really, really good in that game, and the feeling of complete hopelessness and despair trying to resist it was strong.

EDIT: What's up with all the Garbage Dick?

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 28, 2014

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yi is definitely strong, but he's also extremely fragile. If you misjudge when to go in, you're dead and nothing is saving you short of a miracle.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

NTT posted:

Jungle Irelia is really Fun, and Good.

How are you playing her? The few games I've tried her out she felt kind of slow and underwhelming, so I'm definitely doing something wrong.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sexpansion posted:

Akali has a 58% win rate in Diamond? Holy poo poo. That's almost higher than Warwick and Pantheon and they are broken as poo poo right now.

Her pick/ban rate is pretty low, though. The only characters in the top 20 who have a lower PBR than her are Ashe and MF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Come to think of it, would there really be a problem with removing the unique from passives like Brutalizer and Hextech Revolver? We've come a long way from the days where revolver stacking was actually a thing that was good, and I don't think it would be too big of a deal. It would let characters like Vlad, Morde, Talon, etc. get some more use where they're already extremely niche characters.

• Locked thread