Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

Have you seen Udyr? Guy literally can't find enough camps to kill.

I would die happy if I never saw an Udyr on my team again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Putting extra ranks into W doesn't get you much, E at least allows you better peel/chase and better all-ins pre-6.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

yanthrax posted:

No way, the attack speed buff and grievous wounds are amazing. The active is really useful in trades, especially when the other AD is running heal. I like alternating between Double Up and Impure Shots after putting a single point in Make It Rain.

Level 2 impure shots doesn't give more grievous wounds.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

TheModernAmerican posted:

Oh man that attack speed steroid is such a waste on an AD carry

She gets the steroid, her passive AD scaling, and the greivous wounds at rank 1. Ranking up W doesn't decrease the CD of the active, or increase the passive ad: it makes the active cost more mana, and gives you 10% AS per level. It's a one-point wonder now, imo.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 18, 2014

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Thumbtacks posted:

I really wish they'd take a look at Darius and tweak (read: nerf) his kit. The fact that a loving tank can do 1k true damage to someone, let alone refresh it, is bullshit.

Don't play Thresh top vs. a real laning opponent. Problem solved.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

SystemLogoff posted:

So, I tried Zyra for the first time and really enjoyed her. How do you run her as a support? What do you look out for/rush, and what are your combos?

e w q w is your major harass tool, timed so the q activates both seeds.

Frostfang and sightstone early, sorc or mobi boots to choice.

Mid-game try to build Liandry's, it's by far the best item to rush on Zyra.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Phenotype posted:

What is a good build on Nocturne this season? I got stony silence when I asked a few days ago. I haven't played him since S3.

I usually build feral flare and a brutalizer/youmuu's into tank, but elder lizard works fine too, just less damage.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

xeose4 posted:

How do you even play Morgana? I have the best skin for her (spooky) and people tell me to play her because she's top tier support, but I just don't know what to do with her??? Like, I grasp the basics: shield your carry in all-ins, try to make picks with Q, use W only if you can spare the mana, save ult for teamfights.

But clearly there's some crucial thing I'm missing because I do that and it doesn't win me games at all. It only wins me lane like 50% of the time, so clearly I'm doing something wrong. I wish I could play this woman effectively, but she is a complete mystery to me.

Morgana doesn't win lane unless your opponent is terrible, you take her for the giant hp magic shield and massive pick potential later on. Her binding sets up so much in the midgame.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

How Rude posted:

In most cases you're better off getting a lot of AP but Rylai's on Ahri can work if you want to provide more utility, though the chances of that are pretty slim in solo queue. Didn't Froggen pick it up in Worlds? (but he's Froggen, so he's an outlier)

Rylai's is 100ap now, it is "a lot of AP"!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

parara posted:

Where do folks take Diana these days? I had a lot of fun playing her when she was free but I'm not sure whether to buy her since I don't know where she'll do well. Jungle? ...Mid...?!

She should only be played in the jungle. Diana has terrible matchups in midlane whereas she has amazing jungle clears, and post 6 has pretty solid gank potential. Really good synergy with Yasuo.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Disinterested posted:

Top Tier For Waveclear: (Sounds like the name of a bad radio show)

Mids:
Xerath, Ziggs, Anivia, Lux

Unless you're counting ult, Lux's waveclear is actually terrible. She can't one-shot caster creeps with her E without a deathcap iirc.

e: nm beaten, that post was originally Lulu I think lol

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Baldbeard posted:

Why is lux not seen in a bot support role more often? Is it a scaling issue? I feel like she would be a good substitute for morgana.

Lux has poor base damage on her spells, low mobility, but the main reason is the exorbitant mana costs on her poke. She can't do anything without farm.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I'm more confused by people thinking Vayne has an advantage over any other carries in lane. Twitch would probably a favourable match-up, but after that, I'm not sure.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Lovechop posted:

Whenever someone says that Nasus is op I imagine they must live in a world where those two items don't exist

That place is called Gold and below (and apparently plat too)!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Do you guys think gnar will still be playable after the nerfs? He looks fun, and I really need a top laner, preferably one who isn't at the top of the meta but is still strong that I can play when I feel like/need to.

The Gnar changes are extremely conservative - they are focusing his lvl 1-3 damage, but he should still be strong in favourable matchups.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

fnox posted:

But it's like not the first game I've lost this week where I'm doing very well and everyone else is a sitting duck feeding relentlessly until late game. Like, in these two games I'm literally solo keeping the gold advantage chart on our side yet I still lose.

In your J4 game at least, you secured 0 of 4 dragons taken which is kinda a big deal for your entire team and your primary job as a jungler in early/mid game.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

TheModernAmerican posted:

Did you know that normal queue and ranked have totally different rankings?

Now you do! Stop talking.

Everyone knows this and it's a pretty lovely excuse for the state of normal matchmaking (and ranked 5s for that matter).

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

NTT posted:

How do you rank players that don't play ranked then?

This is doesn't have anything to do with golds\silvers laning against diamonds in every game. It's fun playing blind pick normals to mess around with new roles/champs and not be able to do anything because it's 15 mins and top and mid have already snowballed and are dogpiling other lanes.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

it's only started cropping up after patch 4.20 for me and it consistently occurs in any game she's in, this isn't a one-off thing. She broke, yo. The teleporting thing especially is absurd.

This happened to me in a ranked 5s game in patch 4.19 where Nidalee would be spotted top jungle by a ward and all the sudden was bot river as soon as we engaged. Something has been hosed with Nid for a long time.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Now that you bring that up, I cant actually remember having ever seen a pro player get minion blocked. Like, are they just that good? Libertine, you watch a lot of pro play, has there been any significant cases of that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_96ob3J66E

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I've never topped against Rek'sai (though she does seem to win a lot in randoms I play so she must be strong in lane) but from an opposing jungler standpoint she is annoying as gently caress to gank when she can see you walking up to lane/river brushes while burrowed and has an easy escape with her tunnels/speed.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Ashe also outranges most ADCs not just with volley (which is stupid long) but her autos are second only to Cait's during the laning phase.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Eve is not great right now, very weak to invades, but she can definitely survive/thrive in the new jungle, just don't expect to be able to do both buffs without backing. I've changed my masteries from 21/9/0 to 17/0/13 for an extra pot at the start and improved pots throughout. You basically have to buy 2 or 3 pots (which limits your warding which Eve was exceptional at doing before) on every back to keep healthy until you have components to Randuin's. Her clear speed is fine. Same runes as before AP blues/quints, Armor yellows, AD reds. Chilling smite/Warrior enchant into Hexdrinker and a defensive item.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

fnox posted:

Janna is an annoying rear end in a top hat and all the supports I play have a hard time against her. What the gently caress do I do against her? I can't find an opening since she has just way too much reliable CC and I lose trades simply due to all the crap in her kit.

Sona, Nami, Zyra, any other mage with stong poke

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

K8.0 posted:

He still wasn't overpowered. All you needed was any slow at all and he just waddled around worthlessly unable to hit anyone and dying in a single mage combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eIp7BlmiWU

God-bless you pre-season 4

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Slaapaav posted:

I learnt from playing swain that mana regen is the most useless stat in the game and the thing that actually matters is having a manapool.

Swain has mana regen built into his kit...

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Slaapaav posted:

I dont understand why people play morgana as support in soloq when brand annie or lux are much better bot lane ap killers. Its to hard to benefit from the shield when the adc and the morg are not on voice com. Also brand does the same spellthief thing that morg does exept even better

It doesn't take any coordination when you black shield the carry getting Thresh/Blitz hooked, or all-inned by Leona? Like Morg ult + 3 second root + immunity from CC are enormous for team fighting and don't require a lot of AP to be effective; support Lux does nothing unless she snowballs hard and builds selfishly.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The secret to support Annie is to duo queue with a Kalista and go all in every time your ults are up. Annie's auto range is incredible for proccing Kalista's W and there is arguably no betterr support to toss into a team fight.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The Corki/Lucian nerfs really opened up botlane.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Don't get triforce on Vi Jungle. It costs way too much and doesnt give you that much that you want. Yes you have an auto attack reset, no that doesnt mean its automatically a good item. There are far better choices such as getting a brutaliser after your smite and going tank/finishing it into your choice of item afterwards.

TF is 100% the best snowballing item on Vi. You shouldn't look to buy it every game, but if I have 2k+ on my first back, I'm finishing my jungle item and picking up a piece of TF.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Heimer changed a ton with his re-launch, y'all are freaking out for nothing. Tristana's old design was really bad and I'm glad that Riot wasn't married to the design.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Poulpe posted:

Yeah, absolutely, typically after I've set up basic AP/mana regen. (So, currently, morellos.)

Don't buy Morello's on Cass she get's 30% CDR on her kit. RoA is better, tear is alright too.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Pronounced posted:

Is jungle eve even a thing anymore?

Yes, but probably only if you were good at her before. With the right runes her early game power and burst is really strong and her teamfighting and vision control can be powerful as well.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
She also has good matchups vs Corki and Ezreal who are popular picks.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I buy Mikeal's on Nami and Sona 100% of the time, for all other supports I base it off of the other teams comp.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

What's causing the Sivir spike? I know she's good but I always assumed her kit was better in co ordinated play and not yoloQ. Or is it just a case of soloQ copying pro play and getting results?

Sivir has favourable/even matchups against the other current meta picks (Corki, Ezreal, Graves). The death of Lucian helped her a lot. Vayne and Caitlyn still give her problems, though.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Fiddle is really good right now, he can easily clear all camps from lvl 1 without needing to back, gets a free oracle from raptors to help his ambushes, and Magus enchant itemization is godly.

And you are less likely to have a Lee Sin kick you in the face at your second buff this season.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

fnox posted:

I now realize I've never actually seen a good vayne/riven out of pro games.

Faker's Riven is filthy

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Servaetes posted:

Eh. Your good AP junglers right now are what, Diana, Kayle and the best, Fiddlesticks?

Nidalee. But it doesn't really matter, spellthief on a jungler is a really dumb idea,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

henkman posted:

I have visions of Meteos' Fiddlesticks, and a sense of dread creeps over me

That's just his passive, he must be on a ward

• Locked thread