Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Take a drink for every early access game on steams best seller list, then take a drink for every year those games have been in early access

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Yeah, but since Early Access doesn't have that stigma for most of the people using Steam (otherwise EA sales would be lower), it's probably a safe bet to call it Early Access if you're going to keep adding content since people are more forgiving of flaws and you can fix them before the official reviews come out and mess up your metacritic score.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

zen death robot posted:

Then they shouldn't call it early access because it makes me think "this shits really incomplete/buggy" not "we are going to keep adding cool poo poo to this well made game"

That's the name of the service they get published through though so they probably use it for marketing and probably the model they think they're working on but the concept of betas and prototypes have changed a lot the past couple years some I'm not sure what they could really call it.

I get being against this idea of paying for unfinished poo poo and gently caress knows there's tons of that poo poo out there that doesn't even bother finishing after they get a big bag of cash from some dopes but the model does let some good games come out that wouldn't be made otherwise most likely

Edit

Falsum posted:

Yeah, but since Early Access doesn't have that stigma for most of the people using Steam (otherwise EA sales would be lower), it's probably a safe bet to call it Early Access if you're going to keep adding content since people are more forgiving of flaws and you can fix them before the official reviews come out and mess up your metacritic score.

Yeah this too

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Starbound is doing very well!

So is legendary and ULTIMATE video game, Dayz. Heh... perhaps you gamers need your facts... straight...

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
The big problem with Early Access is that almost everyone who reviews an early access game talks about the potential it has, not what's currently in the game. People give poo poo to an incomplete released game, but not to an incomplete EA game.

Early Access can be really good, but it can also be really bad.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Nah, it's just all bad games for idiots and every single early access game blows my nuts, imo.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Falsum posted:

The big problem with Early Access is that almost everyone who reviews an early access game talks about the potential it has, not what's currently in the game. People give poo poo to an incomplete released game, but not to an incomplete EA game.

Early Access can be really good, but it can also be really bad.

yeah thats true too, if i'm being optimistic i'd say that it's a case of people still adjusting to this really new way of doing poo poo but the truth is more likely that people are just kinda dumb and sunk-cost kicks really hard even when its only $10

more places like rps are saying stuff like 'no its a turd leave it maybe it'll get better but its shiiiit' but its taken a while to get even that far

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

big duck equals goose posted:

Nah, it's just all bad games for idiots and every single early access game blows my nuts, imo.

Don't Starve is a good Early Access title. War for the Overworld and Prison Architect are also shaping up to be pretty good (but PA also outlines another problem with Early Access: how easy it is to just keep adding content and delaying the proper release).

I don't know if I should count Kickstarter games, although they're similar since you give a bunch of money to someone for a complete game at some point down the road, but there have been several successful Kickstarter games like Divinity Original Sin or FTL.

There's definitely a lot of bad in both EA and Kickstarter though.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

zen death robot posted:

Then they shouldn't call it early access because it makes me think "this shits really incomplete/buggy" not "we are going to keep adding cool poo poo to this well made game"

release dates on pc basically dont mean anything anymore for games that arent console ports

some early access is Finished but open to tweaking, like crawl and nuclear throne and good stuff like that. other early access is the most barebones nothing "update0.6.0: we made a world to explore update0.6.22: you can craft sticks now" style garbage. its kind of a pain yeah. at some point there should probably be an immediately-obvious categorization on steam for stuff that claims to be feature complete versus stuff that claims to be in alpha or whatever, its a big difference

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
early access? neeeeeh gently caress that poo poo. *eyeballs star citizen, tongue rolls to the floor* hubba hubba! take 5 grand!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Average Bear posted:

early access? neeeeeh gently caress that poo poo. *eyeballs star citizen, tongue rolls to the floor* hubba hubba! take 5 grand!

i don't think the people saying the first thing are doing the second thing tbh Average Bear

Dec 26, 2012

lesbian baphomet posted:

release dates on pc basically dont mean anything anymore for games that arent console ports

some early access is Finished but open to tweaking, like crawl and nuclear throne and good stuff like that. other early access is the most barebones nothing "update0.6.0: we made a world to explore update0.6.22: you can craft sticks now" style garbage. its kind of a pain yeah. at some point there should probably be an immediately-obvious categorization on steam for stuff that claims to be feature complete versus stuff that claims to be in alpha or whatever, its a big difference

early access should really be solely for poo poo thats in beta at the very least. rough for sure, but theres an actual product there

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Yeah, if you pay money for a product you should be able to get some value out of that product right now.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

i don't think the people saying the first thing are doing the second thing tbh Average Bear

zen death robot posted:

yes, Imp Zone has a long history of supporting the gently caress out of Star Citizen

it is not imp zone that i am mocking friends

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

i will not pay money for a local only multiplayer game in 2014

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

FartRomancer.EXE posted:

i will not pay money for a local only multiplayer game in 2014

you must have missed nydhogg then, I pity u.

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

Pizzatime posted:

you must have missed nydhogg then, I pity u.

that had online multiplayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Falsum posted:

Yeah, if you pay money for a product you should be able to get some value out of that product right now.

these seriousposts straight out of forumid=44 are really doing it for me

• Locked thread