Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Regarding megathreads, one thing I somewhat miss from the older days was the page limit on mega threads. Circa 2008 after 100 or so pages the requirement was that you had to close the megathread and make a new one. This didn't feel like too large a burden when I was an OP, and as someone hopping in between threads it helped a ton to both keep the front page fresh and also to help on board me onto a game. These new megathreads would usually have up to date info in the OP as well for whatever recent patch/expansion came out, and it was great to know that I could rely on that information as accurate. Additionally, it was a really nice way to help me get involved in the conversations, as I didn't feel that I need to go back and read through 500+ pages of posts to understand what was going on.

I know we probably moved away from that requirement for a reason, but I don't recall what it was now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

Every post in a thread has a date and a revision date attached to it. Why burden everyone else when there are existing tools to help you know how "fresh" a topic is? OPs are not wikis.

No, but OPs are frequently vastly better at getting someone on boarded into a game than a random wiki, primarily because while Wiki's are written for reference OPs are normally written to get people excited and into a game.

It's true that with the old rule the last few pages did tend to devolve into a conversation about what the new thread title would be, but on the whole I thought it made megathreads a bit easier to lightly follow.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

^^^
Also a reasonable solution.

OwlFancier posted:

Actually that would be a good rule, make sure your title has the game name first, the LP forum can be really hard to read sometimes, which is fine, I mean, you don't use the LP forum for reference, but the general games forum should probably keep titles easily readable so people don't have trouble figuring out what does and doesn't have a thread.

Game name first is good imo, as long as the thread is about a specific game.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

As an aside Kewpuh, after eight years here this is still my favorite game forum on the internet, and as a game developer I feel really safe and rewarded engaging with peeps here. Thanks for the work you and the others mods do.

• Locked thread