Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

nilumtil posted:

It's not as though you both don't make good points. However I really do think there's merit to trying to nudge the community towards effortposting and away from IRC room content. I wouldn't suggest any type of real inquisition or objective rule.

Maybe we can't do it the way we used to. I mean, where Kewpeh says that he thought maybe it was the heavy moderation when it was the quality of poster... I would add that there's a distinction between heavy moderation and keeping people out. We did keep people out for years, during the "good times" I'm talking about. People that were not seen as smart enough or funny enough were literally run off, both through the community ostracizing people and admins. Today, bans and probation just mean re-registering.

I don't know if this can be done in 2014. I'd still prefer it. The forums were better.

People get run off all the time. I've even been run off once or twice. The problem is that the majority of us are all nice guys so we don't hold petty grudges against weirdos. I like to read Games because I enjoy reading the opinions of a group of people I respect. Sometimes these opinions only need to be a sentence long ("I really wanted to like (blank) but the (blank) just really makes it impossible") It's true that 75% of the post are 'useless' but that just makes the gems even better. Megathreads aren't a bad thing. I've managed to keep up with threads with thousands of posts, because those posts get made over the course of years. The discussions contained within are still just as valid.

For instance, you can go to pretty much any page in the Fallout: New Vegas thread and find some interesting discussion in it.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Pixeltendo posted:

But I do like the idea of making it so I can hide threads I have really no interest in.

I would also like to express that this is a good idea.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The idea to hide threads we don't want to read, so we can turn entire forums into our User Control Panel favorites while still being exposed to new threads.

edit: This has an extra bonus as well. If people in the thread start to complain about the thread you can just say "well nothing's stopping you from just hiding it and never seeing it again"

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 12, 2014

• Locked thread