Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Maxwell Adams posted:

I had an idea. What if we had a subforum dedicated to headlines? I like to know what's happening, but I don't want to dig into the recent pages of all these megathreads to see what people are reacting to.

That'd be nice, every so often something like Twitch's policy change happens that is game related but not a game and there really isn't a good place to talk about it unless you can find the right giant megathread talking about it at the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Kewpuh posted:

Ya it came up last time and we basically just said "just post the dang thread!" We very rarely if ever gas anything here because it's easier just to let poo poo wither and die if it's a garbage topic. It's probably also kind of easy for something to not get noticed on the flip side because god there's a lot of posts that happen here and megathreads take up the entire first few pages but yea if you want to post a thread post a thread. I'm still not entirely set on the idea of a subforum where game news or whatever would be posted because I still have the feeling that that very same poo poo would be posted in their respective megathreads and nobody would even notice but it's not like it would really cause any problems to give something like that a shot.

The biggest problem with posting a gaming news thread is the rate at which news is released either ends up being a trickle at best or during a convention where news comes in a deluge, like Twitch changes were the biggest and honestly probably only noteworthy thing that'll happen until Gamescon(and apparently had a thread that I never saw, it got drowned by the megathreads). Once Gamescon starts then all that news will just end up in a thread about it, which is fine, but in between the big pr events it feels like there isn't a place to post news that is substantial enough to talk about, but not worth dealing with a shot of putting effort into a thread being derailed by a group posting Big Bang Theory videos or lol effort post replies.

I really like the relaxed posting changes, it's nice for some funny, irrelevant, silly, or even poo poo posts to break up a group of regulars, but I feel like if you make a thread with something worth discussing but happen to attract the eye of one or two posters then you might as well close the thread before the dog pile of poo poo runs it off course. I guess I'll take your advice next time and give it a shot of just posting the thread if there was a Twitch one and it went fine, because hell I kinda feel like a sub-forum for news discussion would just be too much like old games and become insufferable

Blister fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 9, 2014

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Ularg posted:

Why not have a mega thread for news feed and discussion then? Huge topics gain their own thread. So both the interesting and mundane can be posted and the thread can just talk about whatever.

Hey, Kewpuh, if you're still going "Just post the dang thread" I was going to do just that. I don't have PMs to bug you with, but I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I'd totally be down for a news thread and would love one, but I thought someone tried making one and it ended up getting derailed endlessly by circular social justice/feminism/ mra arguments which seems to be the new hot click bait stories after the 10 hottest cosplay photos. I could very well be wrong and be misremebering it and there really isn't any harm in trying

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Ularg posted:

Yeah, we'd probably have to try and *gasp* contain ourselves to keep it from being a social justice circlejerk. I think the hardest thing about a news thread would definitely be that, you'll get a group of regulars that just post that kind of content and it'll become real insular real fast.

It's kinda funny, honestly, the one thing that keeps Gamers.txt from becoming an insular "SA members are better" jerk(and provide some of the best content for it) is letting those slap fights start and run their course every so often, it just takes like 20 pages to accomplish.

grrarg posted:

Here is the thread about the Twitch changes, if you missed it.

Thanks for this, the thread really did work out fine, I guess I'm paranoid so I'll just post the thread next time.

Blister fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 10, 2014

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Mercury Crusader posted:

The State of Games: It rules

Completely

I forgot to mention it previously, but thanks Kewpuh for taking time to post this thread and respond to criticisms or ideas we've had. It's great to be able see and give some honest feedback, also helped me see past my myopic view of the forums, nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Kewpuh posted:

Robin Williams is dead it is a sad day today this is game related because his daughter name is Zelda this is a sad day

You did this, you ruined everything, why did you kill Robin Williams

• Locked thread