Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

There's no way any permutation of Minority Perspectives in Gaming can exist on these forums without being nothing but a platform for wretched people to bellow trite catchphrases at each other. There's nothing funny, insightful, or informative that can be derived from any of the kinds of people who would post in a thread like that on these forums.

The larger thing that I think people miss is that threads like this actually have absolutely nothing to do with 99% of the content on Games. We talk about individual games and playing games, we don't talk about how other people play games or the theoretical ramifications of that. Furthermore there's approximately zero people who are actually qualified enough to make their opinion matter in a thread like that, so the threads inevitably devolve into mental masturbation of one form or another. I'm not talking about qualified in the sense that they have a Bachelor's in Women's Studies or whatever, I'm talking about in the sense that the posters involved have enough of an opinion base published that others can where they are coming from when they say something. In D&D you might know that poster X has been really balanced and grounded on another, tangentially related subject, like economic disadvantage, so if they say something that sounds a little weird in a Feminism in Gaming thread you can generally assume that it just came out weird, and not that poster X is a cisgendered Rand-worshiper that thinks women to realize How Good They Have It or whatever other wild loving accusation rolls out of gamers.txt recently.

Games is way bigger than D&D, but similar stuff still happens. If you only ever post in MMO HMO and then write a big post critiquing Indie Darling Game Of The Month, yeah you're gonna come off as weird and people are going to make fun of you for it. If you've spent time chatting with people in other indie game threads you're probably going to get cut a little slack.

The reality of the situation is that people often shitpost in response to shitposting, so yeah your civil rights thread is going to get a lot of shitposting in Games, because to these people it's off topic and therefore a shitpost. If you want to talk civil rights, D&D is right there and filled with people who are both well qualified and there to discuss issues, not just post in a Civil Rights in Gaming thread to make themselves feel like My Opinion Matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Servaetes posted:

Oh and that Minorities thread was an absolute loving atrocity. I know there were ideas floating around to discuss how a character has a really skimpy skirt is problematic or whatever to DnD, but why'd a thread never pop up there?
Because they talk about things that actually affect people in D&D

Well okay that's a lie but they sure as poo poo affect more people than partial nudity in video games.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

XboxPants posted:

If six dozen posters freaked out every time someone made a bad post, this "live and let live" mentality wouldn't work. But for whatever reason, it seems like that's not happening.
I'm gonna go with the fact that its now OK to call out those 6 dozen people for being the spergtastic shitsacks they are

• Locked thread