Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Kewpuh posted:

Alright so here's my thought on this. I think the community itself does a better job of coercing a conversation in a specific direction or rewarding posters for good posting or punishing posters for not so good posting. Now this isn't to say that as a mod it's my responsibility to nudge someone that's posting pure garbage just for the sake of posting pure garbage but I mean more along the lines of two different posters posting about a game and one makes a way better post than the other less content-rich post that the other dude made. My example I guess would be a poster like Sunning that posts in the Wii U thread. That dude makes incredible posts about the inner workings of Nintendo. He's rewarded by people quoting him, wanting to know more, wanting to engage in a conversation with him because you can see that he puts a lot of effort and knowledge into what he's posting about. A dude that posts "welp just killed 50 dudes with ak47 in counterstrike" more than likely gets completely disregarded. Nobody notices that dude, nobody gives a poo poo about what they have to say. It's always been that good content and posts were rewarded by the community and I dont think that's really changed.

I can't say I really agree with that. A counterexample would be the writing in games thread that one guy made. It started in the Steam thread with a pretty normal civil conversation. Then the guy did the right thing and decided to stop derailing that thread and take it to its own separate thread. It seemed like a reasonable amount of effort went into the OP, but then it was pretty much inundated with shitposters and wound up getting moved to the imp zone (or byob I don't really remember). I can't really say after seeing that that it surprises me people don't want to make new threads. Why take the risk of ending up at the bottom of a mod-sanctioned dogpile and then tossed to the fyad-lites when you can stay safe in your megathreads?

Overall I haven't really seen a huge change to Games. But there's a definite trend of effort being met with "lol effort" in the wider forums that's creeping in here. If I wanted to see people endlessly emptyquote and post stupid memes then I can go to literally any other forum on the internet for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Kewpuh posted:

This is the thread you're talking about : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648335&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Here's my opinion on it. I think he has a lot of goofy opinions in that bigass OP. I think a lot of people made some funny posts in the thread with regards to that. I also know from past experience that if he would have got some thicker skin and went with the flow and took a step back and realized that he was typing up a novel on the writing of a video game like Gone Home and laughed about it like the rest of the posters in the thread instead of closing it and trying to hide from it, it probably would have morphed into something pretty good. It wasn't until he closed the thread that I moved it to the Imp Zone.

That's fair enough with respect to moving it to imp zone. But you're still pretty strongly implying that a certain amount of effort in a post is "too much" effort and should be mocked. And if no one knows where that line is they're just going to not risk it and default to minimal effort.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Kewpuh posted:

I think if he wouldn't have included Gone Home, nobody would have noticed. Part of me thinks he deliberately put Gone Home in there just to kick the hornets nest. Anyone that followed the Gone Home thread in Games knows that it got super loving testy and hateful and drove people bonkers. But even then, there was some harmless trolling in there that would have died off at some point.

First I've never really been a fan of the whole "this particular topic just forces people to shitpost so instead of dealing with the shitposters we'll just not allow discussion of the topic". I'm not sure why a person that goes nuts that their thread was mocked needs to be driven out of the forums, but someone who goes into a frothing rage when a particular dumb game is brought up needs to be treated with kid gloves because the poor thing just can't control themself.

quote:

I don't know what type of threads you're confusing that with though that would draw this instant influx of trolls. Like if I made some random thread about a game coming out on Steam and put some info in the OP, nobody is going to care. New threads for newer games get posted all the time and nothing bad happens in them. Unless this is all a ploy to get some type of thread protection for a Minority Perspectives thread :smugjones:

Basically any kind of thread that's not like that? One of the big complaints I remember from the last thread was how every thread was a megathread or a specific game thread. That most people don't even bother looking at the thread list because there's nothing there that's going to surprise them. Why's anyone going to bother trying anything new when the expected result is getting relentlessly flamed and the mod's response is "Oh it probably would have stopped eventually". I can't give you more specific examples because no one is making those threads. I'm just giving my opinion as to why that might be. It's difficult to step outside the status quo. And when people see someone try it and get smacked down, they're going to be more likely to scuttle back to their megathreads rather than try again. Just sayin' that if you see someone doing something a little different and trying to start a different conversation next time maybe try encouraging that a little bit, even if the thread isn't perfect.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Kewpuh posted:

That dude wasn't driven off the forums. He messaged like 10 different mods asking that he be banned. Almost all of us completely disregarded it because that's loving retarded. And nobody went into a frothing rage in that thread. It just looks like they posted jokes and trolled the OP a little bit unless I'm just not seeing something :confused:

I'm not talking about that thread specifically but Gone Home in general. You yourself said it "drove people bonkers".

quote:

As far as your concern of threads getting relentlessly threadshat in, I guess if you don't really give me some examples what kind of thread you're talking about that would even warrant that then I'm just going to end up sitting here confused. This forum is about video games and every thread that gets posted here should be about video games in one way or another. I've seen a billion different threads about games and I never really see whatever it is you think happens so I dunno what you want me to say at this point.

Basically anything on the topic of videogames that's not about a specific game or genre. We've seen how a thread about writing in games would go. Maybe if it were more competently constructed it would be different but who's going to try now? Imagine if someone made a thread about what makes a good game character, for example, how do you think that would go? Or even something simple like what makes gameplay "good". Can you really see something like that being posted here and not being terrible? Do you think there's anything that you personally could do to nudge a thread like that in the direction of not being terrible if it were to pop up? I'm saying maybe people don't even try to make threads like that because they know how they would go. I don't have any solutions though. Maybe have people post ideas for threads they've had but never got up the courage to post and you can pick one that seems interesting and say that you'd keep an eye on it for a page or two to make sure things stay civil? Just see how it goes?

peter gabriel posted:

The OP of that writing in games thread really is the definition of someone who needs to lurk more, I know that is a cliché but in his case it's true.

Endorph posted:

The weirdest thing about that dude wasn't even the bad thread, it was his weird freakout when people made fun of him. Like a few people go 'gas' and suddenly he's committing internet seppuku.

I brought it up because it was literally the only example I could think of of a thread that wasn't "Let's talk about this specific game" or "Let's talk about games in this specific category". I really wish there was a better example to offer. I guess what I'm trying to say is even if the guy really deserved it, I can see it having a chilling effect on people thinking about posting threads especially if you're like me and weren't following the situation super-closely.

• Locked thread