Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khorne
May 1, 2002
I think megathreads are mostly working out fine these days. As someone who has always hated megathreads, I think their transition over the past few years from "post a million things about a game" to "self contained community of people who play the game" has really helped. Reddit is partially to thank for this transition, because every game has a subreddit teeming with all of the posts that clogged up megathreads before. Megathreads now are a great place to discuss things going on in the game's community, new news about the game, to connect with others who are playing the game, and to discuss more abstract ideas about the game. In the past there'd be lots of dumb arguing, repetitive questions, and things along those lines. With the threads becoming a bit more community-like, the community sort of polices itself.

Adding outlets to shitpost, like the "let's watch pro GAME" threads or necessary spinoff threads for wildly popular games, also helped significantly. So if some trend is really making GBS threads up a thread, there are established ways to deal with it that are generally used. The classic make a rule against it in the op of the thread or the more recent make a spinoff thread for people to continue that trend in. Like the hearthstone complaining thread. In the past spinoff threads were usually for super touchy topics, but it seems to be a bit more common now for topics that aren't controversial at all.

RickDaedalus posted:

Probations/Bans being down are linked to Reports being down. It sounds more like posting standards being lax is what might have caused the lull in policing. You said it yourself, old offenses, like not using the shift key, are more accepted nowadays. As is going off topic. It stands to reason that maybe other "posting rules" might have also gone out the window without anyone consciously realizing it.

It's also entirely possible that because you don't respond to reports, people just don't bother reporting at all. There are 1400 users browsing Games when I last checked (a couple minutes ago). I find it hard to believe that out of all of them, in a month, only 13 of them will act like shitheads. Does this number include the subforums? Even if it it doesn't, it still sounds odd.
Most of the poo poo posting is contained in threads that are already kind of poo poo by their very nature. I'm going to use the DotA thread as an example because I kind of read it. The imp zone dota thread is often better than the games thread, but at the same time I don't see how you could moderate the dota thread. You'd need a thread specific moderator or something equally ridiculous, and they'd probably have to explain why the poster is so bad and wrong. You can't moderate it for quality unless you play DotA at a really competent level, and that's just a ridiculous requirement to have for a moderator. Despite this, the thread goes on and you can often learn a thing or two.

Most of the other poo poo posting trends are cyclic or self correcting and thread regulars know to ignore or skip through it. The PoE thread has desync discussion, minecraft threads have people sperging about mod authors or how the game could be so much more while posting really bad ideas, and most of the other threads I read are quite alright.

Despite the low number of reports, things are as good as they have ever been. If not better.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Joshlemagne posted:

That's fair enough with respect to moving it to imp zone. But you're still pretty strongly implying that a certain amount of effort in a post is "too much" effort and should be mocked. And if no one knows where that line is they're just going to not risk it and default to minimal effort.
More words isn't more effort. It's far more difficult to write accurately, briefly, and clearly than it is to write 10,000 words about some dumb topic. I scanned that post quickly and my first thought was "what is this actually about". I mean it's about writing in video games, but why am I going to read all of these words? The game list is actually useful, and I read that part of the thread. But the rest seems fluffed up and like it could have been condensed significantly.

The line is "Would I be interested in reading this myself?" or "If this entire thread were posts of this length written in the same way would I read the replies?" I tend to write too much sometimes, and the biggest tell that I am writing too much is that if I go back to the thread I'll only read the replies to what I wrote. If someone wrote something of similar length I'd ignore it. In fact, in most threads where you can do this you'll often ignore replies to write your own big reply that no one is going to read. And in your head that's fine because what you are saying is important, but each of those other nerds that wrote too much also thought the same thing.

If you want to actually put effort into something don't just write more words. Condense and omit things you've already written. There's really no line for too much effort, but there's certainly posts that are too long winded and skirting around a simpler point.

edit: The replies to that thread mostly seemed on topic. It didn't seem like it was that poorly received. Yeah, some people cracked jokes. A few one liners here and there aren't going to harm that thread. It seemed like a topic that could have easily lived on if it weren't abandoned. Someone didn't storm in and respond to each high-effort post with an image macro or disparaging remarks. That's the kind of stuff I wouldn't like to see going on, and it's the kind of stuff that doesn't go on.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 10, 2014

• Locked thread