Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I concur that the bar for posting is lower than it should be, unfortunately.

I would say there's a lot going on that isn't really shitposting, trolling, arguments, or other bullshit that's intentional. Instead, I feel that the quality and content of the average post has gone down. It's not "low content" like a one-word post, but it's a lot closer. Personally I wish the bar was higher on content/humor, and even long for the days of banhammer months. A lot of these threads read more like a chatroom than a forum based around thoughtful dialectic.

It feeds into the megathread problem; there's a reason certain threads for popular games are 7000 pages long. A lot of people have very little to add but do so anyways. I know you acknowledged the megathread problem and its intractability in the OP, but it has really brought the quality of information I gather here down in the past few to several years. Anything that's not Battlefield, Dark Souls, etc gets choked out.

I only bring this up because I really have loved this forum since ~2000, and for like a decade I was always able to find new, interesting games I had not been exposed to; The reasons I feel that this happens less and less, are reasons I link to the Megathread thing. Not to belabor that point, but I get most of my information about neat new games I want to play on Giant Bomb now, which has filled this gap very well. Sadly.

As a good example, I really feel like the Planetside 2 thread exemplifies this. Very little usable information past basic stuff in the OP is found in its hundreds of pages. Instead, there is roughly 75% posts that add very little but are not against the rules, which only make it harder to find good info. The rest is a FYAD-quality shitheap of posts between people who are way too attached to their in-game faction. For over a year, several posters have been purposely instigating arguments, which they know from the past is *never* going to lead anywhere. It's painful to read. Technically, it's discourse... technically.

I love this forum, but sometimes it's tough.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Endorph posted:

Dude, sometimes people just wanna toss words out there.

I dunno, I mean I agree that every post shouldn't need to be a masters thesis... never meant to imply that. However, I definitely remember when "throwing words out there" was likely to eventually lead to a ban. Later on, probations then bans. Then, I wonder if that would help these days.

I didn't expect everyone to agree with me, this is just something I've wanted to say for years.

edit:

Ularg posted:

A "You must post a reasonable amount of content per post" is a nearly impossible rule to enforce.

SA used to do exactly this for years, and they did it by a subjective basis rather than an objective rule. "You're posting bad" used to directly equate to "you don't belong here".

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 9, 2014

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

It's not as though you both don't make good points. However I really do think there's merit to trying to nudge the community towards effortposting and away from IRC room content. I wouldn't suggest any type of real inquisition or objective rule.

Maybe we can't do it the way we used to. I mean, where Kewpeh says that he thought maybe it was the heavy moderation when it was the quality of poster... I would add that there's a distinction between heavy moderation and keeping people out.

We did keep people out for years, during the "good times" I'm talking about. People that were not seen as smart enough, funny enough or adding anything to the discussion. were literally run off, both through the community ostracizing people and admins. Today, bans and probation just mean re-registering.

I don't know if this can be done in 2014. I'd still prefer it. The forums were better.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 9, 2014

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

To be fair I do feel like there's some definite "pfffft, effortpost, that's for dweebs, we don't need that" sentiment here. I really only posted the wall of text because I've felt this way strongly for a while.

Ularg posted:

I mean, I'd love to see a thread dedicated into Behind the Scenes stuff and documentaries, but wouldn't want to see that anime-titty thread disappear.

Of course not! I love SA for a reason and that's NOT that dead serious, but a mix of quality information and quality humor. If I recall correctly, the original rule was subjective: A post must add something to the discussion or be funny. And it wasn't like "add a tiny bit to the discussion" was okay, nor "he was trying to make a joke but it wasn't funny". I do realize that was quite some time ago, however.

At this time, all users were directly warned. Every time I hit post, I had to be *dead* sure I was really adding something or that someone would find it funny. And to shoot for the first one. I felt like that was what led to SA's best years. Still do.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 9, 2014

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Your Computer posted:

That's a change that has taken over the entirety of SA these days though. It's partly what I meant earlier with the forums feeling more like 4chan than the old SA I used to enjoy. I guess good things can't last forever.

It's nice to see that this forum at least still allows some discussion around the changes :v:
I definitely thought of the idea of comparing modern SA to 4chan. As per my last post; "Posts must add something to the discussion or be funny, but mostly the first part"... very different to "anything that's not against the rules is cool, we trust you guys to be funny and insightful".

Endorph posted:

Look, I'm going to be honest here. The golden age you're talking about was boring as poo poo to me.

I mean, that's cool. During the first 10 years, I learned a poo poo ton about games, especially which to spend my time on. Not to mention elsewhere on the site I learned more in TCC and TFR than most people know about those subjects. People even actually gave people good deals in SA-mart, really good deals. I just have to reply to directly disagree there. If anything, I find the state of the forums today the most boring it's ever been. I'm not planning on leaving, however.

I'm surprised we didn't run you off, but glad we didn't. To me, that just illustrates that SA used to be more of a niche thing. Some of us who liked that niche, miss it. I see no reason for this to be a heated argument. I merely want to contribute my opinion.

• Locked thread