Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Hey whats up my fellow dudes. Its been 6 months or so since we did one of these. Lots of things have changed in Games in that span of time, for the better I hope! Lets go over some stuff and then you guys can post thoughts and ideas and whatever and we'll see where it goes from there okay

1) Reports are way down! Like way way down. I remember posting a screenshot in the last one of these that was a days worth of reports. It was actually 3 pages. That poo poo was nuts and I complained a whole bunch about it. Well guess what, we generate like between 5 and 10 reports a day now on average. This is a pretty drastic reduction when you were looking at like between 80 and 120 reports over the span of a couple days a half year ago. I did a lot of study on this and here is the conclusion that I came to: the more you punish people, the more reports get generated. It looks like it became kind of a thing for some dudes to take note of what people got punished for and then actively go out and find other instances of that offense to report it. It was kind of loving crazy.

2) Probations/Bans are way down! In the month of June, 13 dudes got a probation or a ban. June, due to E3, is arguably the busiest time for Games, and then only punishments that were doled out were for permaban evasion, goatse, and spamming giant walls of text. As for the months before and after that? Even less. Gone are the days of getting smacked for not using the shift key or talking about something slightly offtopic during an information lull. Gone are the days of a mod swooping in and punishing someone for calling you a dork for having a dumb opinion. I would say this is a pretty good thing but you be the judge

3) The Imp Zone! The Imp Zone had some growing pains. It had a really terrible stylesheet that drove people away. Now it's a pretty drat good little subforum. I hope those of you that post there a lot enjoy it and also enjoy your representative IKs Zen Death Robot and Zoq Fot Pik because they're cool dudes.

Theres also one more thing I want to talk about before I go. Megathreads were a pretty big concern in the last thread. Some of us actually brainstormed a lot of ideas to try to come up with a solution and none of them seemed very feasible. One of them was actually creating individual subforums for each genre of game where megathreads go and then having the base forum of Games be for just general Games discussion but picturing more than half of the page being taken up by links to each subforum ended up looking like a goddamn unreadable mess. I'm still trying to think of other stuff but for now Megathreads are what they are and we just kind of deal with it.

Alright go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

YOURFRIEND posted:

Well probations and bans are way down because, as far as I can tell, you can post basically however you see fit. You could post in a nuGBS way constantly if you wanted and make a bunch of white noise and I expect you would not be punished for it. Someday people will figure this out to the detriment of this subforum.

Othwerwise wow! Games is still a pleasant place to read and post and I'm glad a little of the starch is gone.

I dunno, I kind of disagree here. I think there are maybe 4 total threads that fit this description and they're pretty much contained and also quite funny - Gamers.txt, Xbone Shark Tank, Wii U Hate thread, and that anime thread with the enormous anime tits. All of the other threads, and there are a shitload of other threads, all read pretty much the same to me. I will say that people dont get punished for slapfights anymore and I made that choice because it actually turned out to be pretty much the same as far as occurrences go. Even when we tried to punish people for arguing with each other over something stupid, it still happened all the time. Now it happens all the time but almost every instance of it gets resolved between the two dopes pretty quickly and then its all over. I much prefer this route instead of trying to babysit people disagreeing with each other. That isnt to say that we wont step in if things get really out of hand but that hasnt really been the case.

Liquid Penguins posted:

I'm so happy we are allowed to make fun of scam games like star citizen openly. Absolutely a step in the right direction.

I agree.

RickDaedalus posted:

Probations/Bans being down are linked to Reports being down. It sounds more like posting standards being lax is what might have caused the lull in policing. You said it yourself, old offenses, like not using the shift key, are more accepted nowadays. As is going off topic. It stands to reason that maybe other "posting rules" might have also gone out the window without anyone consciously realizing it.

It's also entirely possible that because you don't respond to reports, people just don't bother reporting at all. There are 1400 users browsing Games when I last checked (a couple minutes ago). I find it hard to believe that out of all of them, in a month, only 13 of them will act like shitheads. Does this number include the subforums? Even if it it doesn't, it still sounds odd.

Oh dont get me wrong, a lot of people still act like shitheads, but I honestly feel that its better for them to either get ignored or trolled back than for a mod to step in over something that is almost always harmless and easily ignored.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Grump posted:

Here's a question, though:

How come mods acted so loving tyrannical before ~mid 2013? There was a rule to not use dangling participles in GBS at one point. I mean, come the gently caress on. Did you guys feel like you had to do that for Something Awful's image? I was honestly afraid to post half the time on these boards in fear of a ban or probation, but most posts per day count has gone way up recently.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, check the one probation I have. It's for spoiling text from a 15 year old game that isn't plot crucial.

I'm just really happy SA is a chill place now, okay! :cool:

It was just kind of the way it was for a long time. Like with me, I got kind of dumped into modding Games when Zorak got moved to just anime forum and LP or whatever. So I went from having like 0 reports ever to deal with when it was just MMO HMO to having a ton. So I'd open up reports forum and see like 75 shits in there and be like "okay so theyre reported for not using shift key I guess a punishment is required here since thats the way its always been okay then" *mashes 1 day probation button* and it was like this for pretty much everything. I can tell you that with me, there was basically zero loving thought that went into any of it, just 100% status quo. There were always punishments before for typing like a baby or arguing with people or doing whatever so I guess I thought my job was to just keep it going the way it was. It was probably like this for all of us for the past few years. Like, I think maybe we thought the heavy moderation was to thank for making Games better than Gamefaqs or whatever the other games forums are but in reality I think maybe Games was better because the quality of posters were better to begin with and it was kind of lovely of us in retrospect to not see that.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

Is there still a need for Blizzard Sub forum or will that be merged in with the common threads in the near future?

Well I think with the Blizzard subforum we currently have like 15 or so active threads for like 2 different games. I dunno if people want to hunt them down in the Games forum index but maybe they could be merged. I haven't really thought about it honestly but I can take a look.

Maxwell Adams posted:

I had an idea. What if we had a subforum dedicated to headlines? I like to know what's happening, but I don't want to dig into the recent pages of all these megathreads to see what people are reacting to.

You mean like a Kotaku/IGN/Gamespot subforum basically yea?

Your Computer posted:

I personally feel the "relaxed atmosphere" people talk about feels more like 4chan than anything remotely fun, but that said Games haven't really suffered much from the relaxed rules. It sucks when a good thread gets spammed by people emptyquoting enormous images or text, but at least it's not like nuGBS where 2/3 of the posts are "lol" or "human being" v:shobon:v

People in this forum just behave better, I guess. It's a better alternative than getting hundreds of reports every week.

Yo if you see people spamming images and walls of text report that poo poo. There is nothing more low effort and pure garbage than spamming poo poo and I will absolutely edit that poo poo out and hit them with probations.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

nilumtil posted:

It's not as though you both don't make good points. However I really do think there's merit to trying to nudge the community towards effortposting and away from IRC room content. I wouldn't suggest any type of real inquisition or objective rule.

Maybe we can't do it the way we used to. I mean, where Kewpeh says that he thought maybe it was the heavy moderation when it was the quality of poster... I would add that there's a distinction between heavy moderation and keeping people out.

We did keep people out for years, during the "good times" I'm talking about. People that were not seen as smart enough, funny enough or adding anything to the discussion. were literally run off, both through the community ostracizing people and admins. Today, bans and probation just mean re-registering.

I don't know if this can be done in 2014. I'd still prefer it. The forums were better.

Alright so here's my thought on this. I think the community itself does a better job of coercing a conversation in a specific direction or rewarding posters for good posting or punishing posters for not so good posting. Now this isn't to say that as a mod it's my responsibility to nudge someone that's posting pure garbage just for the sake of posting pure garbage but I mean more along the lines of two different posters posting about a game and one makes a way better post than the other less content-rich post that the other dude made. My example I guess would be a poster like Sunning that posts in the Wii U thread. That dude makes incredible posts about the inner workings of Nintendo. He's rewarded by people quoting him, wanting to know more, wanting to engage in a conversation with him because you can see that he puts a lot of effort and knowledge into what he's posting about. A dude that posts "welp just killed 50 dudes with ak47 in counterstrike" more than likely gets completely disregarded. Nobody notices that dude, nobody gives a poo poo about what they have to say. It's always been that good content and posts were rewarded by the community and I dont think that's really changed.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Also 90% of the time with a specific game there isn't really anything news worthy to post. I guess maybe when the game first comes out, its kind of a rush to post new information or whatever. But at some point in a threads life cycle dudes just want to bullshit around about a game they're enjoying or a game that's loving garbage and if all of that was held to a kind of standard that enforced only posting of actual informational content Games just wouldn't really be that fun of a forum to post in.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

limaCAT posted:

Who was the mod who said that rules on megathreads were going to be relaxed, such as if someone wanted to open a thread for any reason even if there was a megathread already encompassing news on it you mods would not be going to close it but instead you would apply a wait and see approach?

I think that was something that was said inside the "Let's bring the GBS 2.0 rules in games" thread, and I think, if applied, it would more or less cover the "hey, let's make an RSS subforum" without really creating an RSS subforum.

I also can't believe how much people get shy when it's time to hit that [POST] button when it's time to make a constructive or useful post, but this is not a thing happening only in this community.
I also can't believe the xbox ram too, but that's another story.

Ya it came up last time and we basically just said "just post the dang thread!" We very rarely if ever gas anything here because it's easier just to let poo poo wither and die if it's a garbage topic. It's probably also kind of easy for something to not get noticed on the flip side because god there's a lot of posts that happen here and megathreads take up the entire first few pages but yea if you want to post a thread post a thread. I'm still not entirely set on the idea of a subforum where game news or whatever would be posted because I still have the feeling that that very same poo poo would be posted in their respective megathreads and nobody would even notice but it's not like it would really cause any problems to give something like that a shot.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

FadedReality posted:

I don't mind how it is now except for the super low effort stuff like the fake Steam thread that makes me feel like I'm reading reddit comments. I've been probated a couple times for super dumb mistakes so I don't miss the harshness of the old rules but I do miss the strict quarantining of hilarious shitposting to YCS, FYAD and BOB.

The punctuation rules were cool because it makes it feel like a cool internet hangout for the grown ups with disposable income that we all are. :frogc00l:

Thanks for reading,
FadedReality

The steam thread that was temporary while the new one was being made?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Blister posted:

but in between the big pr events it feels like there isn't a place to post news that is substantial enough to talk about, but not worth dealing with a shot of putting effort into a thread being derailed by a group posting Big Bang Theory videos or lol effort post replies.

I really like the relaxed posting changes, it's nice for some funny, irrelevant, silly, or even poo poo posts to break up a group of regulars, but I feel like if you make a thread with something worth discussing but happen to attract the eye of one or two posters then you might as well close the thread before the dog pile of poo poo runs it off course. I guess I'll take your advice next time and give it a shot of just posting the thread if there was a Twitch one and it went fine, because hell I kinda feel like a sub-forum for news discussion would just be too much like old games and become insufferable

I'm not entirely convinced that this actually happens. The things you listed happen almost exclusively in the Xbox Sharktank and Gamers.txt. If I have any gripes at all it's this kind of offbase stuff honestly. Like I see complaints all the time about FYAD posters or excessive trolling but the thing about the FYAD guys is that they pretty much never just randomly pick a thread to poo poo in because that's kind of stupid. There is always a reason for what they're doing. Four of five of them post in the Xbone sharktank because they think the thread is full of turbodorks that should be made fun of for rooting for the demise of a console. If you see them pop up in some other thread, the reason is usually because the thread itself is inherently bad like the old minority perspectives thread or if a poster in a thread made some egregiously terrible post that they should be ruthlessly made fun of for. Look at all the other threads in Games that don't fit the criteria of what they think is good and cool to make fun of. Nintendo 3DS thread for example. Every post in that hugeass thread is good and normal discussion of the 3DS. There's literally no point in jumping in the thread and making GBS threads on everyone posting in it so you never see that happen.

Maybe threadshitting or flaming is being confused for the random slapfight that pops up in a multiplayer themed game like Planetside 2 or DOTA 2, or with a thread of a game that pissed a lot of people off like Mass Effect 3. I just know that I can take a look at the threads we have in Games and see that 99% of them function just like they always have.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Seriously I can just randomly pick a thread to look at and I never see this so-called threadshitting bogeyman that has infiltrated Games and spams memes and "lol effort"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3649492 - Puzzle & Dragons 6.5: Hello Kitty and Satan, together at last.

Just skimming through the past 10 pages of that 80 page thread and everything is fine. This is a traditional Games thread that is completely unaffected by any reduction in overbearing moderation.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Joshlemagne posted:

I can't say I really agree with that. A counterexample would be the writing in games thread that one guy made. It started in the Steam thread with a pretty normal civil conversation. Then the guy did the right thing and decided to stop derailing that thread and take it to its own separate thread. It seemed like a reasonable amount of effort went into the OP, but then it was pretty much inundated with shitposters and wound up getting moved to the imp zone (or byob I don't really remember). I can't really say after seeing that that it surprises me people don't want to make new threads. Why take the risk of ending up at the bottom of a mod-sanctioned dogpile and then tossed to the fyad-lites when you can stay safe in your megathreads?

Overall I haven't really seen a huge change to Games. But there's a definite trend of effort being met with "lol effort" in the wider forums that's creeping in here. If I wanted to see people endlessly emptyquote and post stupid memes then I can go to literally any other forum on the internet for that.

This is the thread you're talking about : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648335&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Here's my opinion on it. I think he has a lot of goofy opinions in that bigass OP. I think a lot of people made some funny posts in the thread with regards to that. I also know from past experience that if he would have got some thicker skin and went with the flow and took a step back and realized that he was typing up a novel on the writing of a video game like Gone Home and laughed about it like the rest of the posters in the thread instead of closing it and trying to hide from it, it probably would have morphed into something pretty good. It wasn't until he closed the thread that I moved it to the Imp Zone.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Ularg posted:

Perhaps you can narrow your search down to just posts by virtualboyCOLOR?

The Xbox sharktank long ran its course. It was great to revel in the constant headlines of a really incompetent company as they started handing out golden parachutes for the execs abandoning ship. Now it just seems like any other console, just slightly worse off than usual. It was funny again with all the gimmick posters until they went full internet detective.

Hell, I would be okay if we kept our current moderation but probate internet detectives. They're usually the creepiest bunch when you are trying to have a discussion and then they go and look up your Battlefield stats or if you're fat or something.

What's wrong with virtualboyCOLOR? He gets dopey sometimes but he makes some funny posts every now and then. As far as the internet detectiving goes, the only instance really was Wuglus google searching Fulchrum and not even getting the right result but running with it anyways because it was seriously funny and it paid off in the most incredible way. That type of poo poo doesn't really happen anywhere outside of the sharktank though. And the rule about being a creepy fucker still exists and we still absolutely punish for actual legit weirdo helldumpy kind of stuff.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Joshlemagne posted:

That's fair enough with respect to moving it to imp zone. But you're still pretty strongly implying that a certain amount of effort in a post is "too much" effort and should be mocked. And if no one knows where that line is they're just going to not risk it and default to minimal effort.

I think if he wouldn't have included Gone Home, nobody would have noticed. Part of me thinks he deliberately put Gone Home in there just to kick the hornets nest. Anyone that followed the Gone Home thread in Games knows that it got super loving testy and hateful and drove people bonkers. But even then, there was some harmless trolling in there that would have died off at some point. I don't know what type of threads you're confusing that with though that would draw this instant influx of trolls. Like if I made some random thread about a game coming out on Steam and put some info in the OP, nobody is going to care. New threads for newer games get posted all the time and nothing bad happens in them. Unless this is all a ploy to get some type of thread protection for a Minority Perspectives thread :smugjones:

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Silver Striker posted:

I'm a big fan of the Imp Zone. It's a cool place. It went through some growing pains but it's in a good spot now. I joined relatively recently so I can't really comment on The Good Old Days but I think this forum is pretty good as it is. The only really awful thread I've seen is the gamers.txt thread and given how the older iterations of it turned out I don't think there's any way to save that thread from itself.

See this is the cool thing about the magic of forums though. I hate that thread also, but I don't even care to read it so I don't. Not every thread is going to be someones cup of tea. A bunch of dudes love posting about whatever gamers.txt even is at this point and they keep it all contained in that thread and they seem to enjoy themselves in it so who the hell am I to tell them otherwise.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Joshlemagne posted:

First I've never really been a fan of the whole "this particular topic just forces people to shitpost so instead of dealing with the shitposters we'll just not allow discussion of the topic". I'm not sure why a person that goes nuts that their thread was mocked needs to be driven out of the forums, but someone who goes into a frothing rage when a particular dumb game is brought up needs to be treated with kid gloves because the poor thing just can't control themself.

Basically any kind of thread that's not like that? One of the big complaints I remember from the last thread was how every thread was a megathread or a specific game thread. That most people don't even bother looking at the thread list because there's nothing there that's going to surprise them. Why's anyone going to bother trying anything new when the expected result is getting relentlessly flamed and the mod's response is "Oh it probably would have stopped eventually". I can't give you more specific examples because no one is making those threads. I'm just giving my opinion as to why that might be. It's difficult to step outside the status quo. And when people see someone try it and get smacked down, they're going to be more likely to scuttle back to their megathreads rather than try again. Just sayin' that if you see someone doing something a little different and trying to start a different conversation next time maybe try encouraging that a little bit, even if the thread isn't perfect.

That dude wasn't driven off the forums. He messaged like 10 different mods asking that he be banned. Almost all of us completely disregarded it because that's loving retarded. And nobody went into a frothing rage in that thread. It just looks like they posted jokes and trolled the OP a little bit unless I'm just not seeing something :confused:

As far as your concern of threads getting relentlessly threadshat in, I guess if you don't really give me some examples what kind of thread you're talking about that would even warrant that then I'm just going to end up sitting here confused. This forum is about video games and every thread that gets posted here should be about video games in one way or another. I've seen a billion different threads about games and I never really see whatever it is you think happens so I dunno what you want me to say at this point.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Joshlemagne posted:

I'm not talking about that thread specifically but Gone Home in general. You yourself said it "drove people bonkers".

Basically anything on the topic of videogames that's not about a specific game or genre. We've seen how a thread about writing in games would go. Maybe if it were more competently constructed it would be different but who's going to try now? Imagine if someone made a thread about what makes a good game character, for example, how do you think that would go? Or even something simple like what makes gameplay "good". Can you really see something like that being posted here and not being terrible? Do you think there's anything that you personally could do to nudge a thread like that in the direction of not being terrible if it were to pop up? I'm saying maybe people don't even try to make threads like that because they know how they would go. I don't have any solutions though. Maybe have people post ideas for threads they've had but never got up the courage to post and you can pick one that seems interesting and say that you'd keep an eye on it for a page or two to make sure things stay civil? Just see how it goes?

I brought it up because it was literally the only example I could think of of a thread that wasn't "Let's talk about this specific game" or "Let's talk about games in this specific category". I really wish there was a better example to offer. I guess what I'm trying to say is even if the guy really deserved it, I can see it having a chilling effect on people thinking about posting threads especially if you're like me and weren't following the situation super-closely.

Okay sorry but I'm kind of tired of discussing this hypothetical situation that hasn't happened before. Like seriously I've put way more effort into this subject than there needs to be. If someone posts a thread and it gets relentlessly trolled for absolutely zero reason at all then it will be taken care of. I honestly have no idea what more you want me to say on this subject.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Brackhar posted:

Regarding megathreads, one thing I somewhat miss from the older days was the page limit on mega threads. Circa 2008 after 100 or so pages the requirement was that you had to close the megathread and make a new one. This didn't feel like too large a burden when I was an OP, and as someone hopping in between threads it helped a ton to both keep the front page fresh and also to help on board me onto a game. These new megathreads would usually have up to date info in the OP as well for whatever recent patch/expansion came out, and it was great to know that I could rely on that information as accurate. Additionally, it was a really nice way to help me get involved in the conversations, as I didn't feel that I need to go back and read through 500+ pages of posts to understand what was going on.

I know we probably moved away from that requirement for a reason, but I don't recall what it was now.

I mean I'm fine with just leaving that up to whoever posted the original thread unless they completely disappeared in which case it's fine for someone else to make a new one. I don't want to be too overbearing and jump into a thread at a certain page number regardless of what conversation might be happening and go "SORRY PAGE 175 MOVE ON FUCKERS" *pounds close thread button and laughs while people scramble to make a new thread*

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

This might might earn me a ban or probation but gently caress it.

gently caress all of you, there's petty, and then there's this poo poo, you are all children, my own fault for associating with you pieces of poo poo.

Since you seem to be sweet on me central, gently caress you, I have no idea what your deal is with me.

As for the avatar buyer, congrats, you won, this is what you wanted right? Make me rage in the forums? Well here you go, enjoy your prize you worthless piece of poo poo, even then I don't wish horrible things on you, just pity that's you would take this far, and for what? Because I find creepy images, creepy? Because I can point flaws in the game you all love so much? Because I think your stupid jokes are old and tired? For that? Really?

And you know what its not even about the avatar, I'm always trying to find a spot to fit in, I thought I found that here, silly me, its for reminding me of what I don't have anymore, about how the one person who truly made me feel like I belonged is loving dead, that's what's this all bullshit reminds me off, I wish it was as simple as a stupid avatar, you wouldn't be the first, but probably the last.

I'll be 30 in a month and its like I never left highschool whenever I use the net, but mostly when I get involved with goons, exceptions of course, Kazoo, Ashley, Goshawk, all wonderful people, a few I didn't mention.

So gently caress it, congrats, really congrats, you pushed me over the edge. Enjoy friends, quote and laugh, enjoy my ban.

And no worries, I have 0 intention of escalating this in any capacity, this and what I said guild chat are the long and short of it.

Hope you all have a swell day, I truly do.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Robin Williams is dead it is a sad day today this is game related because his daughter name is Zelda this is a sad day

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Alright so did we come up with anything besides stay the course and also please protect hypothetical threads that may or may not ever be created sorry I dont have examples from getting threadshat

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The idea to hide threads we don't want to read, so we can turn entire forums into our User Control Panel favorites while still being exposed to new threads.

edit: This has an extra bonus as well. If people in the thread start to complain about the thread you can just say "well nothing's stopping you from just hiding it and never seeing it again"

This is a great idea but realistically this is nothing that I can take to anyone and be like "make this happen." The best way to go about something regarding forum features would to be to bring it up in QCS where Lowtax or the admins would see it so they can refer it to the coder guy to see if it's even feasibly possible to do

Higsian posted:

I'd like it if game megathreads had to make a new thread when the game actually comes out or a couple weeks after it comes out at least. It's real annoying checking out the thread for a game and seeing the OP is pre-release information followed by 50 pages of people talking about how they pre-ordered it and speculating on whether it will be good. I want to read what goons think of it now that they've tried it, not what they imagine they'll think of it when it comes out.

This already happens with almost all major releases. Guys make a thread when a game is announced and then make a new one when the game is about to come out.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Slumpy posted:

Not sure if this was talked about already but how can mods/admins tell what is a funny "in the know" post and what is bullshit? What I mean to say is that a lot of the games have mini cultures where funny things happen and they're referenced in the threads and could be seen as white noise from someone on the outside when in reality its 100% grade A beef comedy poo poo for the laughs? The way it is now is good, I'd rather not see reference joke posts get banned for being low content when it could actually bring up something good down the line in the thread/be referenced in game. But I also want to know how you guys determine what could be reference and what could be just dumb content which gets ignored?

This isn't really a problem that comes up often but it definitely happens. Most of the time it happens in the DOTA 2 thread and every time I see the report my response in that report is always this:

"might be an inside joke or just how they talk to each other in the thread zooloo please handle"

Seems to work out okay since I've never seen a complaint. If it's other threads we'll usually research back a few pages to see if it's part of some inside joke poo poo but even if we get it wrong you can always message us and let us know and we'll retract it.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Kild posted:

Do you have any examples of said DOTA2 posts that were reported?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Ularg posted:

Hey Kewpuh, is there a way to contact you outside of PMs? I don't have plat.

kewpuh@somethingawful.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Alright I guess we got enough feedback for now. See you again in 6 months or so

• Locked thread