Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Three Olives posted:

Three Olives Ultimate Podcast List

Diane Rehm: Panel, a little bit of everything, mostly politics, science and current events
Tribcast: Texas Politics
NPR Market Place - Business News
NPR Think: Mostly interviews about non-fiction books
Slate Political Gabfest - Mostly US Politics, some international
Rachel Maddow: Politics & Current Events
Fresh Air: Interviews, Mostly Arts & Entertainment
This American Life: Just good
Savage Love: Dan Savage yelling at idiots about sex and relationships
99% Invisible: Architecture and Design
NPR On Point: Panel discussions on current events mostly
NPR Planet Money: Economics
Radiolab: Mostly sciency stuff

Is Diane Rehm the one who talks like she's had or is currently having a stroke? (If either are actually the case then I do apologize.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

sports 'R' gay

fake edit: listen to Superego you stupid fucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTEJLCgamos

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

Is Diane Rehm the one who talks like she's had or is currently having a stroke? (If either are actually the case then I do apologize.)

Yeah she sounds like a 5-pack-a-day smoker. It's because of some vocal-chord constricting disorder. You'd think this would disqualify her from radio gigs, but here we are, there's just an NPR-show hosted by someone who sounds like she's 300 years old.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i like 2 listen 2 howard stern on youtube

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Basch lives. posted:

You have probably gotten this before, but holy poo poo your avatar immediately fills me with a sense of anger and disgust. Everything from the awkward jittery gif movements to the smug look on that guy's face and the smug way he eats that loving candy bar. His pinched expression with that annoying mustache and perfectly groomed, nasty hairdo. And that suit! God drat; good job.

On topic: I never cared for podcasts before. Maybe I should give one of these a shot. Oh wait, GBS 1.4 Rules.

Gas thread ban OP. I'm gay.

its meant to be a loveable image

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Basch lives. posted:

You have probably gotten this before, but holy poo poo your avatar immediately fills me with a sense of anger and disgust. Everything from the awkward jittery gif movements to the smug look on that guy's face and the smug way he eats that loving candy bar. His pinched expression with that annoying mustache and perfectly groomed, nasty hairdo. And that suit! God drat; good job.

On topic: I never cared for podcasts before. Maybe I should give one of these a shot. Oh wait, GBS 1.4 Rules.

Gas thread ban OP. I'm gay.

ban this guy for racism

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Kazvall posted:

gently caress sports, history of rome

:hist101::hf::hist101:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

history of rome loving owns. dude is very dry in all his podcasts though, so if you can't tolerate a really boring college history lecture, duncan probably won't be up your alley

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Mike Duncan if the History of Rome podcast has a new one, Revolutions which is about political revolutions. So far he's covered the English civil war (the one where King Charles I got his head cut off ) and the American Revolution. Now he's starting the French Revolution, I can't wait for the scary bits to start hahaha

Caustic Soda is good too.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

:cop:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

platedlizard posted:

Mike Duncan if the History of Rome podcast has a new one, Revolutions which is about political revolutions. So far he's covered the English civil war (the one where King Charles I got his head cut off ) and the American Revolution. Now he's starting the French Revolution, I can't wait for the scary bits to start hahaha

Caustic Soda is good too.

i couldn't get through revolutions. i did all of history of rome but revolutions was extraordinarily boring, i was sorta disappointed since its a more interesting topic, imo

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

this is pretty good one as well
http://thehistoryofbyzantium.com/

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Lawman 0 posted:

this is pretty good one as well
http://thehistoryofbyzantium.com/

dang that does look good

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Fandyien posted:

i couldn't get through revolutions. i did all of history of rome but revolutions was extraordinarily boring, i was sorta disappointed since its a more interesting topic, imo

YMMV of course, I actually like it a bit better than the History of Rome. I'm looking forward to the Gentleman Johnny's Party Train North American tour tee shirt

Another good if extremely dry college-lecture podcast (because that's literally what it is lol) is Religions of the Ancient Mediterranean. It's mostly focused on early Christianity and Judaism but he's also covered some of the Hellenistic cults.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"U Talkin' U2 To Me?" is OK.

But really, just listen to Uhh Yeah Dude. It's all you need.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Yivgev posted:

dang that does look good

heres an even better one imo

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

PostNouveau posted:

You'd think this would disqualify her from radio gigs, but here we are, there's just an NPR-show hosted by someone who sounds like she's 300 years old.

She started hosting the show long before she had spasmodic dysphonia, by the time it happened she already had a loyal fan base.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Joe Rogan's podcast is awesome. He once asked a guest who was smarter, a chimpanzee or a person with Down's syndrome.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah she sounds like a 5-pack-a-day smoker. It's because of some vocal-chord constricting disorder. You'd think this would disqualify her from radio gigs, but here we are, there's just an NPR-show hosted by someone who sounds like she's 300 years old.

She's great because she had a guy for a while who kept calling in to ask the guests about ancient aliens, and she would just shut him down in a classy, nice way while transitioning to another call. I like her.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

as far as byzantium related things go, "12 Byzantine Emperors" by Lars Brownsworth is very good and accessible

Red Fructidor
Jan 8, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

NPR's pretty much off the table if you're annoyed by weird voices (the Ira's Glass and Flatow), reporters under 20, or foreign accents.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Red Fructidor posted:

NPR's pretty much off the table if you're annoyed by weird voices (the Ira's Glass and Flatow), reporters under 20, or foreign accents.

David Sedaris. Amy Sedaris. Sarah Vowell.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Yivgev posted:

sports 'R' gay

fake edit: listen to Superego you stupid fucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTEJLCgamos

wow this was pretty funny, that comedy bang bang poo poo wasn't though

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Fandyien posted:

history of rome loving owns. dude is very dry in all his podcasts though, so if you can't tolerate a really boring college history lecture, duncan probably won't be up your alley

You might just want to read the source material (Livy, Tacitus, Suetonius), instead of listening to an autistic baseball fan tell you about it second-hand.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Kelfeftaf posted:

You might just want to read the source material (Livy, Tacitus, Suetonius), instead of listening to an autistic baseball fan tell you about it second-hand.

Not everyone is fluent in Latin dude

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Red Fructidor posted:

Nah, Glass and Flatow have voices with character. Diane Rehm sounds like her voice is being mixed through Autotune with a garbage disposal.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

platedlizard posted:

Not everyone is fluent in Latin dude

Read the interlinear Latin Vulgate Bible - http://vulgate.org/ot/genesis_1.htm. You'll get it in no time.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

behind the news with doug henwood is fun for lefty political and economic analysis

both of dan carlin's podcasts are entertaining, common sense is sometimes loving nuts but i can appreciate it

doug stanhope's podcast is good if you like doug stanhope, it's very doug stanhope heavy though. also you can always skip the last fifteen minutes because they are usually too sloshed to make any kind of sense

marc maron is ok in small doses, he does two a week and the quality is variable

the q&a with jeff goldsmith is cool if you like movies, he has interviews with screenwriters and stuff

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, Glass and Flatow have voices with character. Diane Rehm sounds like her voice is being mixed through Autotune with a garbage disposal.

She sounds like a kind old lady having pleasant discussion and sharing her cocoa with you.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Good call whoever recommended "We Hate Movies". This poo poo's hilarious.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Kelfeftaf posted:

Read the interlinear Latin Vulgate Bible - http://vulgate.org/ot/genesis_1.htm. You'll get it in no time.

No thanks I'll just listen to a history podcast instead :)

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

platedlizard posted:

No thanks I'll just listen to a history podcast instead :)

okay, dawg. but latin isn't that hard. you just got to figure out the declensions and conjugations.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Adam Carolla Show
Bloggingheads
NPR: Planet Money
Uhh Yeah Dude
Norm Macdonald Live
The Partially Examined Life
Very Bad Wizards
How Did This Get Made
TBTL
Rationally Speaking
No More Whoppers
The Cruncheons
The /Filmcast
This Year

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Partially Examined Life is very, very good.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Infinite Monkey Cage is pretty good :)

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

The Dennis System posted:

Adam Carolla Show

wtf gtfo

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
My podcast list
(More or less in order of how interesting I find them.)

Sick & Wrong
Giant Bombcast
the Football Ramble
the Flop House
Mark Kermode & Simon Mayo's Film Reviews
the Bugle
IGN UK Podcast
Retronauts
Starburst Radio
Watch Out for Fireballs
Infinite Monkey Cage
Major Spoilers
House to Astonish
Abject Suffering
D6 Generation
Philosophy Bites
Stuff You Missed in History Class
Monster Talk
Geek History Lesson
Critical Hit

That's a stupid amount of hours listening to stupid podcasts per week but I have a poo poo job that on average has me doing menial work for around 5/6 hours in each 10 hour shift during which we can't really talk because of noise etc.
So I need something to keep my mind half awake. (Also I listen to them while playing computer games.)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Jack Gladney posted:

She sounds like a kind old lady having pleasant discussion and sharing her cocoa with you.

Diane is cool, she's make you an Irish coffee.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

CBC's Ideas can be really good if they're not on yet another "look how wonderfully multicultural Canada is!" kick.
That said, there have been episodes that go to the unexpected and totally real world of Canadian racism. Those tend to be really good cause they're not skirting the issue.

DNTO is the poor-person's This American Life, but I still like it. :shobon:

CBC's Laugh Out Loud is a pretty good stand up comedy show, but its on a break for the summer.

Wiretap is a funny mix of fiction and non-fiction. They regularly contribute to This American Life.

99% Invisible is neat.

Radiolab is good.

This American Life is also good...what do people have against it? Is it just a "its the most popular so we hate it" thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Carolla has some dumb opinions, but he's entertaining.

• Locked thread