Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I just tried playing a bit of Double Dragon 2, the arcade version, and it seems that it doesn't have the special moves from the crouched position that exist on the nintendo version. So, is double dragon 2 for nintendo the best double dragon?
Also, is really Streets of rage the best beat 'em up after all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

final fight is good

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I'm also trying to find out what was the name of one of these games where you have to destroy a tank, and you could use a bazooka.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
River City Ransom was good

[/thread]

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

senran kagura

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Cobweb Heart posted:

River City Ransom was good

[/thread]
It has those characters from super dodge ball right? I guess I have to play this ASAP.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
streets of rage 2 is the best streets of rage. not sure if it is the best side scrolling beat em up tho.

the streets of rage remix is also excellent.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i haven't played Double Dragon Neon yet but i've heard it's really dang good

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Yakuza

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Don't gently caress with Haggar or the pizza boy

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

i always liked the aliens vs predator arcade game. it made me sad as a little kid when i rented the snes AvP and it was a completely different, bad game.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

combatribes seems really fun

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Famous TV Dad posted:

i always liked the aliens vs predator arcade game. it made me sad as a little kid when i rented the snes AvP and it was a completely different, bad game.

This is actually my favorite arcade game. I long to have the cab in my house. I hope my high score is still #1 at Disneyland. My initials are NSW if anyone goes there.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

a combatribes avatar I guess

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

My favorite beat 'em up is The Warriors

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Viewtiful Joe but I never got past the boss rush level.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The Punisher arcade game is pretty good because you can just fuckin shoot guys

Also I like the Capcom D&D games. Too bad the recent re-release is glitchy as gently caress and crashes all the time for no reason

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

Viewtiful Joe but I never got past the boss rush level.

that level was difficult, until you realized it was in fact easy

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Video Viddy Games posted:

streets of rage 2 is the best streets of rage. not sure if it is the best side scrolling beat em up tho.

the streets of rage remix is also excellent.

Truth in that first line right there. Max = best beat-em-up character, and the second you work out how to do a back grab from the front you become a crowd control monster.

Remix was okay, but a lot of the physics seemed a little 'off', and quite a bit of the time it suffered from a terminal case of enemies being faster than you and retreating off screen to where you couldn't hit them, and than hanging around off screen for ages unless you turned your character's back to them and didn't touch the controls for 5 seconds so that they would pluck up the courage to come fight you.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Uh, I'm just going to go out on a limb and say the Remix owns bones and it could be prob the greatest indie game ever made

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
what the hell that guy has my avatar

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Breetai give that man back his avatar

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

which one is the real hoodrich?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why do two different people have avatars from the same poptarts commercial

program666
Aug 22, 2013

That's no poptards commercial, that's from a comic by kevin smith

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Streets of Rage owns. Those 4-player TMNT and X-Men arcades own.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Hoodrich posted:

what the hell that guy has my avatar

I don't see your name on it. :colbert:

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I finally found the name of the brawler with tanks and weapons in it, it's gang wars. The enemies mock you, get dizzy after some beating and seem to react to other stuff that you do. I remember being absolutely fascinated by all that TECHNOLOGY when I was a kid.
Also it has machine guns and tanks in it!

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
along with avp, the simpsons and avengers beat em ups were the go to arcade games

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Silver Striker posted:

that level was difficult, until you realized it was in fact easy

i knew i could do it but i wished there were breaks between every few fights.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
Violent Storm was pretty nice

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HogxI449tWE

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Double Dragon Neon was pretty awesome, aside from some lovely art design. It had a kickin' rad soundtrack too. Also a pretty funny Megaman/Rush joke.

Oh, and Capcom's Knights Of The Round was pretty cool too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBWGP2do5sM

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Dongslayer. posted:

along with avp, the simpsons and avengers beat em ups were the go to arcade games

the simpsons was real good i'm just disappointed there wasn't a real powerplant level

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

I have the alarm clock on my phone set to the level 1 theme from Streets of Rage 2. There's literally no better way to start your day.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Parallax Scroll posted:

final fight is good

more like its amazing

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I like the TMNT games because enemies aren't damage sponges for the most part. It's an element of really good pacing.

Also, Maximum Carnage was pretty fun. No multiplayer and the enemies just being people on the street kinda dragged it down a bit but the soundtrack was rad, there are a shitload of heroes and villains in it, and also you're fuckin' Spider-man (or Venom) and get to use webbing (and/or symbiote chunks) in some fun ways.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Discount Viscount posted:

Also, Maximum Carnage was pretty fun. No multiplayer and the enemies just being people on the street kinda dragged it down a bit but the soundtrack was rad, there are a shitload of heroes and villains in it, and also you're fuckin' Spider-man (or Venom) and get to use webbing (and/or symbiote chunks) in some fun ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbUj5TIU4WA

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

This used to be on GameTap before GameTap ditched most of the games I gave a poo poo about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Alien Storm was pretty cool because all of your attacks were guns and grenades and poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcrk0qE11dQ

• Locked thread