Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
LP Bot's social skills truly are unparalleled.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Wow, this is going very, very differently from previous experiments. LP Bot truly knows all things.

Is this him, by the way?

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
Oh wow, so much happened in the previous part with Ed that I assumed the party had pretty much skipped to the end like the Story Teller, but LP bot's social interation matrixes have plenty more oppertunities to impress it seems.

The Hoff dance killed me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This game plays so much more like a game without hundreds of people creating chaos. That shouldn't be surprising, but it sort of is.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

BottledBacon posted:

Oh wow, so much happened in the previous part with Ed that I assumed the party had pretty much skipped to the end like the Story Teller, but LP bot's social interation matrixes have plenty more oppertunities to impress it seems.

The Hoff dance killed me.

It really does surprise me how complex some of these conversations can end up being. I thought that,after the last couple of chat experiences,there wouldn't be much more content.

LP Bot proves just how wrong I was.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Arkevillain posted:

It really does surprise me how complex some of these conversations can end up being. I thought that,after the last couple of chat experiences,there wouldn't be much more content.

LP Bot proves just how wrong I was.

Sure, they're complex, but man, the UI doesn't make interacting with them anything remotely deep most of the time. If I were playing this, I'd probably be shooting in the dark for most of the replies.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

Ramos posted:

Sure, they're complex, but man, the UI doesn't make interacting with them anything remotely deep most of the time. If I were playing this, I'd probably be shooting in the dark for most of the replies.

Yeah, definitely. If I were playing this, I would have given up after a few tries through, because it would just feel like guesswork. I would have never seen even half of this stuff.

That's why we have, and love, LP Bot.

Colorred
Dec 26, 2012
Anybody have any links to the last LP threads? I am trying to get the game to work on my PC, but I'm having a little trouble.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I just realized something... Is Charity Flame a nod to Modesty Blaise?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Colorred posted:

Anybody have any links to the last LP threads? I am trying to get the game to work on my PC, but I'm having a little trouble.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514071 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597492

I'm surprised you can dodge telling Mia that the monkey lyrics are terrible, I assumed she'd just tell you to get lost if you kept being neutral.

Spaxter
Dec 4, 2012

If I don't know you and you haven't got a dome, then that means you're crashing my party. And while that makes you fascinating, it also makes you potentially dangerous.

I like that.
LPbot is an unmitigated work of genius, transforming a poorly-acted and tragically programmed scene (oh Ed!) into a hilariously observational sci-fi standup routine. I wasn't sure at first whether we could possibly go into this segment without the mysteriously comforting drawl of SGF at the helm, but LPB with his vaguely trans-Atlantic accent delivering a disorienting combination of advanced human understanding/language skills and Data-like innocence, and made grimly unsettling by the monotonal abhuman stutter... is the perfect alternate personality.

Apologies for the word "abhuman" which came to mind while writing and I decided to go with. My meaning for the word, which some might recognize from various gaming namings, is from the novels of William Hope Hodgson, a favourite author, and refers to a creature in the early stages of transformation from one form to another ("not human but similar").

As for the Ed scene, there is most definitely a programming error in that sequence, as there was another clip that was supposed to play on the screen of the TV on the wall, and to which his laughter was a response. As I recall the clip was of Vito being pretentious which Ed has messed with to comic effect, and that leads to Ed telling you about the other hidden clips on the Mode Machine. If SGF didn't find it then it must have been left off the published disc. I remember seeing it so I know it was programmed at one point.

A highlight from part 16: "what are your plans for the pressure pot?"

definitely GMFTIAPCAFDACMSIWLSH

(Got My Feet Tangled In A Power Cord and Fell Down And Cracked My Skull I Was Laughing So Hard)

oh, yes, Anoia, and I am astonished someone caught that reference!

Spaxter fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 17, 2014

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
Waaait a minute...

Vito has long hair?! :monocle:

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
I am so glad to see this thing back
For those who have not seen his earlier series, LP Bot is a recurring character in SGF's Let's Plays and is always great.

By the way, it was a while back but should maybe be linked, Tuba made his wrestling debut in SGF's strange crossover fan-fiction playthrough of WWE 2K14, with appropriate entrance music and commentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ6luv7IAfQ
from 16:00 onwards

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Snoop Radley posted:

Waaait a minute...

In a playthrough full of shocking revelations, this was by far the most earth-shattering.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So that's two separate sources that confirm Vito's starting up some kind of cult here.

One seems quite a bit easier than the other, unless there are non-dialogue-tree requirements for the lady's video as well.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012

Glazius posted:

So that's two separate sources that confirm Vito's starting up some kind of cult here.

One seems quite a bit easier than the other, unless there are non-dialogue-tree requirements for the lady's video as well.

What I don't get is what the fortune teller's role in all this is. Rial tells the player to talk to her if you want to learn something about yourself. It probably wasn't just a random way to get rid of the player / screw with him.

So is the LP bot some publicly available synth? The voice is pretty familiar.

SirDifferential fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 20, 2014

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

SirDifferential posted:

What I don't get is what the fortune teller's role in all this is. Rial tells the player to talk to her if you want to learn something about yourself. It probably wasn't just a random way to get rid of the player / screw with him.

So is the LP bot some publicly available synth? The voice is pretty familiar.

Look how much things change once you know what to say to Ed. Wouldn't surprise me if there is a lot more to the characters we think we know.

Spaxter
Dec 4, 2012

If I don't know you and you haven't got a dome, then that means you're crashing my party. And while that makes you fascinating, it also makes you potentially dangerous.

I like that.
Before this thread goes dead from inactivity:

MassRafTer posted:

I want to thank Spaxter for uploading Cowboy Who?. I've been running an episode every week in the PSP synctube. It's not for everyone but the 10-11 of us who watch love it.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Agreeing re: Cowboy Who?, it's the most glorious of public access television shows I've ever seen.

What a great description! Pretty well all of my output qualifies for the "not for everyone" label, [MODE] not the least. I have long subscribed to an "audience-of-one" philosophy that says that I create primarily for my own amusement, and if just one other person in the world gets something out of it then I have doubly succeeded. This is not a philosophy particularly compatible with a capitalist system, but over time I've managed to find myself considerably amused. CWho? had a small but enthusiastic audience in its broadcast days so its purpose has been fulfilled and then some (many more than one), but it's hilarious fun that anyone might be getting a giggle out of it today. As for [MODE], SGF is obviously this century's designated player, and it is the good fortune of those enjoying these play-throughs that he is also such a superlative communicator. Did you know he has a comment on the Merriam-Webster dictionary site page for the word "sensorium"?:

I heard the word while playing a really great computer game called MODE. Everyone should play it I think.

The qualifier at the end is what makes that statement. Really, should everyone play it? Possibly not such a good idea.

...and what is a PSP synctube?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Snoop Radley posted:

Waaait a minute...

During the scene where Vito laments that his party guests are only interested in partying, he has a visible ponytail.

Also I am so glad that this LP has been resumed, you have no idea :)

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

Spaxter posted:

Before this thread goes dead from inactivity:

It's dangerous to assume anyone's timetable, but I think the next MODE video is coming fairly soon. SGF seemed to be aiming for one a week, even though the streams and perhaps his new PS4 have occupied a bit more time than usual, maybe making this last one take a little longer. But it's still due soonish.

I guess I may as well link to this in the interim. The MODE page on SGF Wiki, which actually exists.
http://supergreatfrien.wikia.com/wiki/MODE

BottledBacon fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 30, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
you what

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Maybeva dumb question, but where can I watch Cowboy Who?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

EagerSleeper posted:

Maybeva dumb question, but where can I watch Cowboy Who?

https://www.youtube.com/user/spaxter1

Spaxter
Dec 4, 2012

I like that.

When I posted these I was only allowed short files, so they are all laid out as playlists, which I find very awkward on youtube. Of course after they were all up there my length limit was dropped but right now I'm too busy and/or lazy to repost them all as episode-long files so instead made an embedded portal on my site:

http://www.strangermedia.com/cowboywhoplaypage01.html

where the layout is a bit more user friendly.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'd been looking for another SGF LP after marathoning all the ones on the archives, and then I find this gem a week ago and power through it to find LP-BOT once again taking the reins :allears:

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

I'd been looking for another SGF LP after marathoning all the ones on the archives, and then I find this gem a week ago and power through it to find LP-BOT once again taking the reins :allears:

If you're looking for new SGF stuff I'd suggest WWE 2K14 on his YouTube while you wait for the next MODE video.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

BottledBacon posted:

If you're looking for new SGF stuff I'd suggest WWE 2K14 on his YouTube while you wait for the next MODE video.

Or go watch his Demo Friend playlist on Youtube. The XBLIG reviews are some of SGF's best stuff.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

BottledBacon posted:

I'd say don't watch WWE 2k14 until after watching:

The earlier Bully Demise series:
1: Wrestling Revolution
2: Hard Time
3: The You Testament
4: Wrecked

And probably you should also watch:
Deadly Premonition
Illbleeed
Spy Fiction
Shadows of the Damned
D2

Or you won't get all the references in WWE 2k14, because it's a bizarre piece of metafiction with a lot of in-jokes.
Congratulations, you now have about a solid month of LPs to watch. Have fun!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
You should probably watch Illbleed anyway, because years later I still can't quite believe it's a real game.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh, I already watched all his LPs on the Archive. I still have no idea what I was watching half the time, though I do seem to remember someone spontaneously growing an FBI poncho, a beard, and flies.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

Oh, I already watched all his LPs on the Archive. I still have no idea what I was watching half the time, though I do seem to remember someone spontaneously growing an FBI poncho, a beard, and flies.

Yeah, it's well worth checking out his Youtube. SGF's slog through endless waves of tat on Xbox Live Indie Games contains hours and hours of fun video alone. But as mentioned above: The Bully Demise story, which SGF has handily created a playlist for, is well worth a watch, as it's almost a bizzare cross-game LP metafiction thing about a fictional wrestler.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaSPgE4K0SB2iKlr4QjEXFPrRBBMcKicH

Azriel Odin
Jun 3, 2011

Somehow I knew this was gonna happen.
You mean the biography of the greatest and most respectable man of our time :colbert: .

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The Deadly Premonition LP is still my favorite LP of all time. I have genuine nostalgia for the time of my life I was watching it.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Links to previous threads (may require archives): First thread, second thread.

During the first thread, Spaxter provided digital copies of MODE and his other game, Midnight Stranger, which were made into torrents that have since died forever. However, in the second thread, Tamrael uploaded them to his own hosting. Here's his post with the links.

tamrael posted:

Permission/Disclaimer/Please Don't Ban Me:
These disc images are posted with prior permission from the content creator. If SGF, Spaxter, or anyone else feels that it should not be linked here/hosted at all, please let me know. For the moment, all of this stuff is hosted on my personal webspace; please avoid linking it to the entire goddamn internet. If a more robust distribution channel is required, let me know.

Additionally, if you do snag a copy of either of these games, please consider tossing Jeff Green (Spaxter) some money via the donate link on his site. He flat out said that the pricing on there was simply to stop people from actually ordering them (because assembling the box copy is a pain in the rear end), so the amount is up to you.

MODE:
Disc 1
Disc 2
Disc 3

Midnight Stranger:
Another game from the same creator. Also worth a look, as a curiosity if nothing else.
Disc 1

Suggested Installation:
Get DOSBox and a copy of Windows 3.1 (finding this is left as an exercise to the reader). A guide to installing 3.1 via DOSBox is available here and may be of some utility. I found that most of the driver issues it makes mention of were not a problem for me, but your mileage may vary.

Once you've got a working 3.1 installation, use DOSBox to directly mount the game discs. Be sure to do a multi-image mount for this; Windows will need to see the image on the same drive letter or MODE will get confused. Run the installer on Disc 1, and be sure to look on the disc for the Quicktime installer if that didn't auto-run (I think it's Quicktime, anyways; it's one of those old media programs nobody uses anymore). After that, just run the game and everything should work. I believe there was an amount of additional tech support information in the previous thread, if you need it and can access it.

Acknowledgements:
Thanks very much to Spaxter, for his role in creating both of these titles and for graciously agreeing to allow us to distribute copies. Thanks also to Konjuro for originally providing the ISOs. And finally, thanks to SGF for bringing this whole thing to our attention in the first place, as well as a very enjoyable set of streams.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Merciful Gods, this game is strange. How did I miss these threads before?!

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014
Really glad to see this update! Things are moving along pretty quickly, and there seems to be so much more stuff that the other videos never even touched on. I know it was mentioned earlier, but it is insane how much stuff is in this game, and how obtuse it is to see all of the content.

Also, thanks for the mental image of LP Bot as a Dalek, screaming "Conversate!"

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008
LP Bot is a fan of the name AM, eh?

Oh well, probably nothing to worry about. Unless it's foreshadowing of some kind, but what are the odds of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Poor LPBot is starting to sound a bit HK47 around the edges... Keep an eye on him, SGF!

• Locked thread