Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

BiggerJ posted:

I haven't gotten around to watching these, and was planning to give the game a few plays first (I have an old-rear end computer that can run it) - how important are the missing clips? Game-ruiningly important?

They clarify and/or foreshadow, but their absence is a blank you can fill in with imagination or deduction, if you even notice. It won't hurt your play experience, I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Spaxter posted:

These productions verify what I have suspected, that what this all represents is a significant monumental effort on the part of our host. I love the fact that you can easily deconstruct the thing, open up the folders and watch all the clips independent of any interface, in any order. Many users have resorted to this once frustrated by normal play, imagining the pathways that might have elicited the revealed responses. Only SGF that I know of has taken the next step, actually mapping the choices that can bring them out, discovering thereby those files unmapped. [a measure of how bad the programming was, since even the Macromind Director that was used had a function that told you when files were unlinked]

I love that at this point SGF is probably the world's foremost [MODE] expert, at least among people who were not involved in the game's development.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

StarkRavingMad posted:

I love that at this point SGF is probably the world's foremost [MODE] expert, at least among people who were not involved in the game's development.

It seems it's quite possible he's the most knowledgeable about the game other than Spaxter at this point.

MatchaZed fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 3, 2014

Spaxter
Dec 4, 2012

If I don't know you and you haven't got a dome, then that means you're crashing my party. And while that makes you fascinating, it also makes you potentially dangerous.

I like that.

WilliamAnderson posted:

It seems it's quite possible he's the most knowledgeable about the game other than Spaxter at this poitn.

It's safe to say he's played it more than any other living human, so while I know a lot about how it got made, SGF would now be the go-to authority on the published game. When a bizarre [MODE] cult is discovered in a warehouse in Atlanta where they have been keeping human slaves in a nightmarish reproduction of the game environment (Mood Bars stapled to their chests!), he will be called upon to do the talk show circuit.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

This just in to The Situation Room, video game inspires "Mood-Stapling" cult here in Atlanta. for more we go to Cindy Crowley for the latest. Cindy?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
To non-no-content bump, video game music legend Tim Follin is working on an FMV detective game. Also, this Kickstarter for in-browser emulation of three strange 90's CD-ROM games still needs help.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I love the Mode Machine behind the scenes speculation here. :3:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Tell my wife I said hello.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm three minutes into this and you're trying way too hard.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The "conversation" with Charity Flame is primo stuff. Maybe my favorite moment of this whole LP?

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Star Man posted:

Did it hit a little too much close to home for you?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
"The important thing here is that I was able to avoid taking a side."

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Star Man posted:

No kidding, right? There's one at every party. Somebody call Tuba to throw this weirdo out.

EDIT: That might be my favourite final performance so far.

Tippecanoe fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 13, 2014

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

I had to turn the volume way up; I couldn't hear you over my own laughter. The bit with Charity especially-- I've been on both sides of that conversation (the subject was not video games), and your performance was full of truth.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Ehhhhh.

The stuttery gimmick kinda wore on me pretty quick.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
That neutral ending to the conflict between Jack and Riel (is that how you spell his name?) was fantastic.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

This is hitting way too close to home. I'm only about nine minutes in and I find myself realizing that yes, I very, very intently stare at my iPod a lot of times.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

The chat with Charity around 22:40. I'm dying.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

This update is a great honeypot. :allears:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
You really hit it off with the Hoff. So much in common!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Star Man posted:

It might be my overdeveloped cringe reflex at other people acting embarrassed, but yeah - this is a terrible end to a great LP.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.

Xander77 posted:

It might be my overdeveloped cringe reflex at other people acting embarrassed, but yeah - this is a terrible end to a great LP.
Good thing it's not the last video!

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
I love this video so much. It's great that you keep showing new aspect to the game with the communal playthrough, then the perfect playthrough and then the awkward realistic playthrough.

I can't imagine why people would be down on this video unless their actual life is an awkward playthrough.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

deadpan posted:

The chat with Charity around 22:40. I'm dying.

It just kept going. Did SGF loop charity's reactions or did they really put that much polite boredness in the game?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Star Man posted:

This was my initial reaction but I thought it got really funny by the end.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

Same here. I thought I would get tired of the gimmick fast, but the interactions with Charity and especially Mia turned it around for me.

I'm confounded there is still more of this game to go.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Oh my word the Jack conversation. :allears:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Charity bit was fantastic, but I just thought he was laying it on a bit too thick otherwise. Not a big deal, mind.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

MassRafTer posted:

I'll have to try watching again. I get that the style of commentary is over the top, but I can only take so much.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I cannot believe there's so much content in an obscure FMV game from the CD era! I think the enormous amount of different paths really shows how much the creators cared about the game and wanted it to be something special.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Glad I'm not the only one who keeps accidentally committing double homicides at parties. I thought I was the only one!

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change
I think it was a good episode! Anyone who isn't into a more skittish host, probably steer clear of pvg's streams. Though, I don't know why I am even mentioning that here. . .

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

...man, so many paths for a game where you can't actually do anything. Pushing them BOTH over the balcony?

This is some Heavy Rain stuff.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Speedball posted:

This is some Heavy Rain stuff.
David Cage only wishes he could make a game half as interesting and reactive as MODE.

It really is kind of sad that a cheesy FMV game from 1995 has far more player input and reaction than almost every game that's come out since.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 13, 2014

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Somehow Spaxter captured the look on the face of non-techy people when I talk about my job with Charity there. Great episode.

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008
I love how split the reaction to this playthrough is. I thought it was the perfect setup for the ending, and that Charity conversation was hysterical. Great foreshadowing on the Jack and Riel outcome, too. As soon as I heard the way you phrased that, I knew exactly how things were going to go down with those two.

I'm not sure if I want that one offhand comment by Vito to be a joke or the last ending. I'm not even sure if I honestly expect it to be a joke or the last ending. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I am so glad to see this LP actually kept going, I didn't realize it came back this time last year and was afraid it was lost for good. I'm caught up and the LP is as top notch as it always was.

Excited to see the conclusion!

Spaxter
Dec 4, 2012

If I don't know you and you haven't got a dome, then that means you're crashing my party. And while that makes you fascinating, it also makes you potentially dangerous.

I like that.
Congratulations best of 'friend for this excellent installment. It's like the latest remix, hilariously self-effacing. If these are at all accurate in their depiction of your personal party style it goes some way towards explaining your extraordinarily prolific and elaborate online presence. Then again, it's probably just the people you're talking to, who seem to me to be a bunch of self-obsessed posers who don't have that much interesting to impart (til they try to kill somebody, I guess).

I propose you create your own [MODE], a party full of people with whom you could actually engage in meaningful simulated dialogue. I'll help you do it. We'll crowd source it -- you've got a big following.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I really, really hate seeing people embarrass themselves or being in awkward situations both in real life and in fiction. Should I avoid this episode?

• Locked thread