Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Roar posted:

I really, really hate seeing people embarrass themselves or being in awkward situations both in real life and in fiction. Should I avoid this episode?

There is a lot of that, but it also has one of the other endings for Vito's final performance, and another outcome for the confrontation between Jack and Riel.
If it's something that is really bothersome you can skip the first half or so because the first part is mostly awkwardness and towards the end (disc 3 part) is mostly the major new content/endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Roar posted:

I really, really hate seeing people embarrass themselves or being in awkward situations both in real life and in fiction. Should I avoid this episode?

Nah. Like Asvodel said, it's a little thick in the first 10 minutes or so but it gets a lot better as it goes on after that.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I liked this episode.

Does make me wonder what having a terminal like the mode machine at an actual party would be like. Have it be visual noise and fun bits, but if you spell out the EDOM it pops up the secret screen. I do wonder how that would fly in 2014/5.

EDIT: Oh my god the Charity section was loving golden.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

KirbyKhan posted:

Does make me wonder what having a terminal like the mode machine at an actual party would be like. Have it be visual noise and fun bits, but if you spell out the EDOM it pops up the secret screen. I do wonder how that would fly in 2014/5.

In a world where tablet computers are common? It's at least pretty feasible to make something like the MODE machine.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I am actually surprised there is an ending that really reflects you were a milquetoast the whole night and it even throws Vito off. That's just such an amazing touch.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Non-zero-content bump: this Kickstarter barely managed to get funded, which means we can expect to be able to play three excellently strange CD-ROM games for at least a year.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So the cult was always something Vito himself made up? In fact, there doesn't even seem to be a "cult" per se, just an elaborate 12-Monkeys-style in-joke.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Speedball posted:

So the cult was always something Vito himself made up? In fact, there doesn't even seem to be a "cult" per se, just an elaborate 12-Monkeys-style in-joke.

The cult was always something like that that Vito made up, though it is implied that he was also trying to actually bring the made up cult into being at the Mode event during the final performance with the mass doming, speech etc.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

*phew* That took entirely too long. Will all questions be answered?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I can't believe I'm stuck at work when a new [MODE] dropped. :negative:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Great job, SGF, you're one in a million.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Those undies. Wow.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Star Man posted:

Those undies. Wow.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
I am feeling very green about this last video. what a fantastic ending to the lets play - the last performance is like a sad trombone finale to the whole night, just perfect.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Thank you for the ride, SGF.

Thank you for the game, Spaxter.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
More underwear in that video than I was expecting, overall.

Great ending to a great LP, thanks for all the hard work, SGF!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Almost saw a little more of Ed then we need when he stepped out of the shower.

Also Crazy Jack:

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
A great game and a great LP.
As SGF mentions, games now like 'Heavy Rain' and 'Walking Dead' only really let you get to the same point in different ways. MODE is drat near innovative even by today's standards.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

mateo360 posted:

Almost saw a little more of Ed then we need when he stepped out of the shower.

Also Crazy Jack:

Speak for yourself, pal. As far as I'm concerned, this is all still part of the edsperience.
Jack frightens me, though. I'm glad we didn't face the rage of the Hoff during our early attempts.

I came into this LP expecting a silly, badly made game. Turns out Mode is a real gem, and sgf was the ideal person to show me how wrong I was. Thank you, sgf!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, I laughed at the ending, as in laughed out loud. This was a great LP, thanks for it.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Bravo, SGF. I'm genuinely astonished at how clever and intriguing DOME turned out to be. It's been a hell of a party. Also, BEST SPEEDRUN EVER!
:golfclap:

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

Ghostwoods posted:

BEST SPEEDRUN EVER!
:golfclap:

Make faux pas to save time.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ramos posted:

Well, I laughed at the ending, as in laughed out loud. This was a great LP, thanks for it.

Charity is going to be so embarrassed when she reviews the camera footage.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Well done, SGF. It might not be too late to try and get in on the Awesome Games Done Quick speedrunning event in January! Just think; you could become THE world speedrun record holder for MODE.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

BottledBacon posted:

A great game and a great LP.
As SGF mentions, games now like 'Heavy Rain' and 'Walking Dead' only really let you get to the same point in different ways. MODE is drat near innovative even by today's standards.

It turns out, people just want to feel like their choices matter. They don't actually have to, or at least not be huge, just acknowledged.

That said, yes, MODE does some pretty neat things with storytelling. It helps that there's really only one night in a small place to account for.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks SGF for seeing this through to the end.

It's certainly a fairly unique FMV game that didn't fit in with the time it was released, it would be interesting to see something like this released now amid all of the "what is video games" etc. we have going on and people crying about what does or doesn't constitute an actual game, this was a game with no real goal but many different paths and endings as you've shown.

Thanks to Spaxter for showing up and giving your commentary on the matter and some insight into the production of the game.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Charity is going to be so embarrassed when she reviews the camera footage.

Better than the other timelines, where presumably she takes her "evidence" of EDOM to the police and is met with blank stares and has to deal with Illuminati jokes from her coworkers til the end of time.

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
Thanks for showing us MODE, SGF. I thought at first it was just a quirky little FMV game but didn't expect a gem. And naked people.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Very entertaining and thorough, as always SGF. And what an impressive game, there's a ton of unexpected depth there.

I could watch Charity cycle through various emotions forever.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Well, guess that range of hers paid off, since if I'm not mistaken, I think the actress who played Charity was the most successful in finding further acting work after MODE.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Thanks also to SGF for the excellent LP, and of course Spaxter for making a game well ahead of its time.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Well, guess that range of hers paid off, since if I'm not mistaken, I think the actress who played Charity was the most successful in finding further acting work after MODE.

Actually it's Vito, at least looking at IMDB (though Killer Klown has had a nice career as well.)

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I've never been disappointed with an SGF LP, and this one wasn't any different. Congrats on another great LP, can't wait to see the next one!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'm glad I got to ride along. :) Looking forward to the next one. Thanks, supergreatfriend.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
I am so glad that none of the endings took the obvious route and had everyone drink poisoned flavor-aid, or turn into flavor-aid or what have you.

Thank you for not giving up on this, SGF. :)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
This really was the perfect way to end [MODE]. :unsmith:

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Thanks for the entertaining let's play SGF. I really like how this whole thing was ultimately just one big prank by Vito Brevis, troll extraordinaire. Especially how this result wasn't all that surprising considering the interactions with him in the previous playthroughs. His general tone and demeanor hint that he's not taking this whole thing very seriously, particularly how he's not upset that you find his "secrets" in the mode machine. Hell, he wants them to be found, since they add a huge atmosphere of mystery and possible danger to the build-up of his final performance compared to what it actually was.

monster on a stick posted:

Actually it's Vito, at least looking at IMDB

I say that's pretty well deserved, he was spot-on in this role.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Is Jack the only guy without a pony tail?

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

Great LP, SGF.

kjetting posted:

Is Jack the only guy without a pony tail?

I don't think the Storyteller had one either? The 90s were a strange time for male fashion, even in Canada it seems.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
You can't do the sabotaged ending without the dome, right? Although considering how that went, I imagine it wouldn't be too different. Still, you have to wonder why Ed was having second thoughts about it if that's all "The Big Flame Out" was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
I'm glad the true performance is just one big troll. Thanks for the thread.

• Locked thread