Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

paragon1 posted:

Mods please gas thread and ban OP thank you.

Don't gas it! Just let it archive, that way when he comes back in six months I can just post the thread in its entirety and we can continue on as if nothing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Also please don't ban Jrod yet. At least let us squeeze a little more entertainment out of his stupidity before giving him the axe.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Who What Now posted:

Also please don't ban Jrod yet. At least let us squeeze a little more entertainment out of his stupidity before giving him the axe.

Don't ban him at all. Forcing him to pay :10bux: to rereg only lengthens the gap between his hilarious posting.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
He's not posting though!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

What a thread to miss.

Always been meaning to ask how a libertarian in their utopian society deals with a powerful, charismatic individual with leadership skills who is interested in exploiting the loopholes and legal rules of the society to accrue power and wealth. Their ultimate goal is dictatorship and subversion of the society. Any crimes they commit are structured in such a way they cannot reasonably be called to face justice or guilt on them.

This is a genuine question libertarians, PM me if you're afraid to post it in the thread.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Every libertarian secretly supposes they will be that person, and will of course deserve it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Libertarian thinking is too rigid to acknowledge such possibilities. It's like asking when the characters in a game of dungeons and dragons use the bathroom or bathe.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

What a thread to miss.

Always been meaning to ask how a libertarian in their utopian society deals with a powerful, charismatic individual with leadership skills who is interested in exploiting the loopholes and legal rules of the society to accrue power and wealth. Their ultimate goal is dictatorship and subversion of the society. Any crimes they commit are structured in such a way they cannot reasonably be called to face justice or guilt on them.

This is a genuine question libertarians, PM me if you're afraid to post it in the thread.

Well, obviously the rational actors of the libertarian society would catch on to their schemes and act in their own long-term self-interest, by refusing to support this political and economic juggernaut. They'd be smart, not to mention equipped with perfect information, so they'd realize that s/he was up to no good, and choose not to associate with such a dastardly nogoodnik.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

What a thread to miss.

Serious answer from my Milton Friedman worship: if you're too uninvolved politically to fight for your negative taxation--I mean we're talking pure free cash here--then nothing can save you in any hypothetical system. If you do have the guarantee of living without starving, then you can always go your own way even if someone else has terrible taste/ethics. Unless you're also so uninvolved that you let this individual subvert your 14th Amendment rights, etc., in which case you've got :siren:BIG GOVERNMENT.:siren: Different flavors of libertarians may disagree with me on that last sentence.

Basically, you can't save someone who wouldn't save themselves given the chance and power to do so.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jack Gladney posted:

Libertarian thinking is too rigid to acknowledge such possibilities. It's like asking when the characters in a game of dungeons and dragons use the bathroom or bathe.

Many D&D nerds have devoted absurd amounts of time to that exact thing, though.

VVVVVVV

Keep that innocence, friend. Never go to the Wizards of the Coast forums, Giant in the Playground forums, /tg/, or look up what FATAL is.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 19, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
No they haven't. You poo poo during long rests, and bathe at the inn.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Who What Now posted:

Many D&D nerds have devoted absurd amounts of time to that exact thing, though.

VVVVVVV

Keep that innocence, friend. Never go to the Wizards of the Coast forums, Giant in the Playground forums, /tg/, or look up what FATAL is.

Oh lord, FATAL. That's the one with the "roll-for-anal-circumference" table, right?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Oh lord, FATAL. That's the one with the "roll-for-anal-circumference" table, right?

It is indeed.

The best part about FATAL (as in, just funny, instead of horrifying) has to be how the author ended his thousand page-long book full of weird sex spells and rolling for every minutiae about your body and rape poo poo with "Most of all, I'd like to thank myself."

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 19, 2014

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

Serious answer from my Milton Friedman worship: if you're too uninvolved politically to fight for your negative taxation--I mean we're talking pure free cash here--then nothing can save you in any hypothetical system. If you do have the guarantee of living without starving, then you can always go your own way even if someone else has terrible taste/ethics. Unless you're also so uninvolved that you let this individual subvert your 14th Amendment rights, etc., in which case you've got :siren:BIG GOVERNMENT.:siren: Different flavors of libertarians may disagree with me on that last sentence.

Basically, you can't save someone who wouldn't save themselves given the chance and power to do so.

That is true, but our society is setup in such a way that while powerful people will always exist, no one man or woman can have all the power. They have to share it. Barring voter intimidation too if they do a poor job they can simply be voted out of office. With business we're also supposed to regulate them in such a way that there are no businesses too big to fail or a monopoly but the failure has been with our elected officials and culture on that part.

In a Libertarian society, there is no division of power. One person can become dictator since there is no regulation on power. One person can theoretically (however unrealistic) own all the corporations and business in America and therefore we are subservient to their whims. Of course that's supposing nobody realizes any kind of power in society is an illusion, or someone could just walk up and shoot them.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 19, 2014

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

paragon1 posted:

Mods please gas thread and ban OP thank you.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

isildur posted:

No, it's very easy to understand: he's trolling. Come on, dude, 'post history' exists right there below every post. I can click it and go to The Ray Parlour and see him saying 'I'm trolling D&D'. I can see that you're like, 90% exclusively a Ray Parlour poster, too, explaining your sudden appearance here to defend tbp.

He's a good troll, in that he seems to make an actual effort to post things that stir up interesting conversation instead of just threadshitting, but he's not arguing in good faith and never has been. It's not like there's a rule that you have to argue in good faith, but I hate seeing people engage with him like he actually cares about the things he posts.

How can you read what you typed here and not feel embarassed, I'm not part of some forums conspiracy to gaslight you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

tekz posted:

How can you read what you typed here and not feel embarassed, I'm not part of some forums conspiracy to gaslight you.

Because it's accurate? tbp does this kind of poo poo in nearly every thread I've seen him post in in D&D. The only reason his position is so clear right now is because someone pinned him down and made him state it in no uncertain terms, and whaddayaknow, it turns out he agreed with the poster he originally disagreed with all along.

Coming into this thread, saying "Hey guys, I don't see why you don't just blame the government?" with no other qualifiers, and then backpeddling to explain that no, he actually is very much in favor of a strong government and regulations doesn't strike me as honest debate.

• Locked thread