Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

This is the best picture. I don't even remember what its context is.

Anyway I asked jrodefeld a bunch of questions about his worldview in previous threads that he never answered so gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

The problem (haha no there are tons of problems) with anarcho-capitalism is that since it tries to justify everything from first principles, everything that has ever happened with a state involved can't actually have been right. That raises the question of how anarcho-capitalists would solve (or perhaps, leave the market to solve) various historical problems that were actually solved by state action.

How would anarcho-capitalists have vaccinated much of the world against, for example, polio?

How would anarcho-capitalists have won a large-scale war?

How would anarcho-capitalists replicate the financial incentives for charity offered by our current tax code, given that there would be no official taxes? This is important, because charity would have much more work to do and thus require many more donations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Tezzor posted:

Your definition of aggression and the initiation of force is incoherent. If I jump you and beat you up to take your wallet, then clearly I have initiated force. If I mug you at gunpoint instead? Well, unless I pull the trigger, I haven't initiated force, I've initiated the threat of force, which is not the same thing, yet probably exists under your definition of aggression. Let's get more abstract. If break into your home while you aren't there and steal your TV I haven't initiated force against you, I've initiated force against your property, and neither used nor threatened any violence against a human. It is your property not because you are currently holding or using it, or inherently because you personally have the ability to stop me and all other comers, but because nebulous laws say so, and those laws are based upon the credible threat of force to maintain your ownership of property.

Now, let's say that instead of breaking into your home I simply enter through an unlocked door and steal your stuff. Is this force? I haven't used any violence or threats of violence against a person or even an inanimate object. What if instead of entering your home to steal, I simply enter your home and hang out, perhaps leaving you fair market price for whatever electricity and snacks I consume? Is it force because I entered an imaginary set of coordinates without your permission? Why do I need your permission? That coordinate range is merely yours by threat of force! What about if instead of crossing the cursed threshold, I simply steal something of yours that is not within the delineated confines of your home, such as a hose or a lawn flamingo? What about something not on your property, like your car parked on the street or your bicycle at the supermarket?

Here's the big one: What about instead of your home, bike, lawn gnome, wallet, or whatever, we're talking about your factory. You do not physically hold that factory. It is not a part of your body. You barely spend any time in it anymore, certainly no more than any one of the 100 workers there. Without those workers it is just a big warehouse draining you of rent and utility money. (That's an interesting question, too. If you stop paying your rent, aren't the men from the bank/police who come to take it away the ones initiating force? All you did was totally passively and nonviolently stop mailing checks.) The workers decide that they want to strike and organize a sit-in. Aren't you initiating force in having them removed? What about if they decide they will simply cut you out of the process altogether, running the factory themselves and selling the products without your input or benefit? What will you do other than initiate force by calling the agents of state violence?

The reason why these all sound like insane rules to bind vampires is because they are. Sometimes the initiation of force is good and sometimes it is not. Absolutism leads to absurdity.

You may find that the answer to these questions is whatever is more convenient for ~*Property Owners*~ at the time.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

It seems to me that the more problems that you need a libertarian "covenant community" to solve, such as security and criminal justice, the more it would resemble a government. Its key difference would be its basis in financial subscription rather than citizenship or innate rights, and therefore its ability to arbitrarily exclude undesirable elements. The precise nature of these undesirable elements is left as an exercise to the reader.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 11, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

The reason we're still harping on this, jrodefeld, is that through all of the threads you've started you've yet to demonstrate why and how a libertarian society would shun racism. Sure, "the state did it," but one reason that blacks in the south and in the inner cities have remained poor, is that plenty of private citizens have been racist too, in their hiring, renting, and selling practices. In fact I think we've suggested convincingly (see I'm arguing just like you now!) that in the absence of the state, racism would gain a whole variety of avenues through which it could be expressed.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

As I understand, the stated Libertarian position on such matters is that private charities would end up serving as a worthy stand-in for state services - that if the mean old tax man wasn't bleeding them dry, people would happily donate the same amount of money to charity. Because it's not as though there's a major mismatch between what tugs at people's heartstrings and what society needs.

In addition, when economic times are hard, people give less to charity - which is precisely when it's most needed. Or that's what I've often read.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

jrodefeld posted:

It's only a government if it ceases to be voluntary. If a community chooses to contract with a security provider and every member of the community chooses to pay for collective defense, this is not anything close to a State. Of course every person could hire a private security agency to defend only their property but this would be very inefficient. It is much more likely that people will choose to come together in large groups and hire one defense agency to provide security for their neighborhood.

And I'm saying this is precisely the problem. People could have all the benefits of a state until they have to include someone they don't like in those benefits, and I'm opposed to that.

jrodefeld posted:

A State is defined not just by force but by monopoly. If a private security firm is doing a lousy job at protecting the property in a specific neighborhood, like for example there were multiple robberies in a month, then you could fire that security agency and hire a different agency to defend your property and keep you safe.

This sounds like a precarious setup at the best of times. What's to stop a private security firm shaking down its customers? Or sabotaging a rival security firm? Or covering some houses and neighborhoods better than others based on who's paying the most? Some of these problems are those of modern police forces today - but those are accountable to the entire public regardless of whether they buy in.

jrodefeld posted:

In a covenant community, all rules are being set by private property owners in a voluntary manner. Acting in a manner counter to the rules of the covenant would therefore be a property rights violation.

This doesn't follow at all. Hoppe wants homosexuals to be excluded from his covenant community, for example - that has nothing to do with property rights.

jrodefeld posted:

The anarchist society would become a beautiful tapestry of different experiments in social order and organization. Each community will develop differently based on their values. People will have an endless variety of choices of where to live based on their values and cultural characteristics.

Or they won't, because whoever has the most capital will buy them all up. Or someone smart enough to form an actual state will conquer them by force. And moving your home costs money that not everyone has.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

RuanGacho posted:

I tried a thought experiment.

I... think it worked?

I'm not sure what your thought experiment was trying to establish but I think I like it.

Obdicut posted:

Okay. Do you understand that there are boom and bust cycles in England before there was a Bank of England or any state bank in England? And do you understand that, after its nationalization, England had fewer boom-bust cycles than before that time?

I know that it's a thing with Libertarians to only look at the US, but if you're talking about central banking you should really be talking about the Bank of England.

I seem to recall quite a few panics that didn't take place in those ranges of years, also. Plus the Spanish Empire's rampant inflation despite a gold-backed currency.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Can we turn this thread into another Libertarian Fiction ("Ronfic") thread if jrodefeld goes away again? It's been too long.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

jrodefeld posted:

There was a reason why, as you noted, the State and the Law is needed to uphold segregation and Apartheid systems.

I didn't say this. I said that the state was involved in racial discrimination; I didn't say it was needed to perpetuate it. Many black people were denied a chance to gain a lasting source of intergenerational wealth simply because it was much harder for them to buy property, with no law on the books about it whatsoever.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

CrazyTolradi posted:

We could merely undercut their price for a time, as we would have more resources and last long in a price war, wait for them to fall over and just return to the previous price once again.

This exact scenario just played out pretty recently in the airline business. New airline begins a route between New York JFK and (I think) Guyana, in competition with Delta. Delta lowers its prices and waits, upstart goes out of business. Imagine if Delta could control the supply chain - if on top of their superior pricing power, they could keep the new airline from hiring flight crew, or leasing an aircraft. That's the sort of power monopolies and cartels can grow.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

While I'm interested in them, video games are not at all my pet issue so I don't really see politicians any better or worse because of them. Frankly, it's a medium that still has plenty of growing up to do.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Socrates16 posted:

What about SOPA? CISPA?

They were/are poor legislation.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Socrates16 posted:

They're examples to a broader point I was making about how politicians make terrible laws about everything.

I don't consider that sentiment meaningful enough to constitute a point. Is our system completely hosed and broken? Probably. Would I trust a Libertarian within 50 miles of any effort to reform or replace it? Heavens no.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

SA is pretty much that experiment where monkeys learn to punish each other for no reason because it's the way things have always been done. You shouldn't aspire to this place.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

DrProsek posted:

Yo just a heads up that I want everyone to use the libertarian definition of the word "Negroid" in this thread, which as we all know means "to fart into a pie that is topped with whipped cream". This is in addition to the libertarian definition of "force", "aggression", "pug", etc

"Pug" henceforth indicates only the noblest and least goofy-faced of hounds.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Socrates16 posted:

Would you all support government regulation of SA, then?

You seem to have trouble understanding that a niche internet website and a country are two different things.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Inflation is pretty low right now too.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Now if Socrates16 instead meant that local governments were criminalizing poverty and imprisoning unreasonably large numbers of people to enrich their friends in the prison system, I might agree!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Socrates16 posted:

Ronald Reagan ballooned fedgov spending. Personally, I think tax rates are irrelevant on a federal level because of the government's printing press and small government folks are not focusing on the important issues by talking about it, but that's kind of a complicated issue that is a bit O/T.

Inflation is quite low right now, and that's actually how our economy works best. Am I going to have to repeat this every page?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Also note the giant ASCII Ron Paul art halfway down the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Badera posted:

Hey Socrates, the guy in your avatar said this:

The guy in jrod's avatar too. And let's not forget he (jrodefeld, not Rothbard) was just explaining how awful he considered police brutality in the Ferguson thread.

• Locked thread