Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So, what exactly prevents me and other moneyed interests from creating a State in your Libertopian world and just incrementally annexing everything that doesn't join willingly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Jrod, you never answered my question about what stops me and my friends from creating a State and annexing everyone in Libertopia. But that's okay, I have another question.

Since the use of force in response to property rights violations is not aggression, what stops me from purchasing all the property surrounding your own and then charging you to cross mine? Or worse, keeping you trapped forever until you die so I can grab your land, too? I would be completely within my rights to defend my property from your aggression, violently if necessary in proportion to your persistence.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I know it's not strictly food-borne, but Polio was eradicated in the US thanks to the State, right? Or does it not count if they haven't eradicated all diseases ever?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

tbp posted:

The banking system hasn't collapsed though. I put the blame more on the government for not enforcing proper regulations than the banks for doing whatever they were allowed.

Uh. Something's wrong with your reasoning there. You blame the Government for Letting the Banks Do Whatever They Wanted, and not the Banks, for Doing Whatever They Wanted.

And your answer is to de-regulate? i.e., Let the Banks Do Whatever They Want, which by your own admission, is what caused the problem in the first place.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

tbp posted:

No that's not my answer I don't know how you came to that conclusion

You're in the Libertarian Thread proposing we blame the government. What would your solution be, then?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

tbp posted:

For that particular crisis, I think that the government is more to blame for the poor handling and prevention than the banks themselves as legal entities.

Do you also blame the Police for crime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

tekz posted:

How can you read what you typed here and not feel embarassed, I'm not part of some forums conspiracy to gaslight you.

Because it's accurate? tbp does this kind of poo poo in nearly every thread I've seen him post in in D&D. The only reason his position is so clear right now is because someone pinned him down and made him state it in no uncertain terms, and whaddayaknow, it turns out he agreed with the poster he originally disagreed with all along.

Coming into this thread, saying "Hey guys, I don't see why you don't just blame the government?" with no other qualifiers, and then backpeddling to explain that no, he actually is very much in favor of a strong government and regulations doesn't strike me as honest debate.

• Locked thread