Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jrodefeld, you're one of those people whose threads I immediately click on when I see them because I recognize the name of the OP and I know it's going to be bad, but I can't really remember what the gimmick is going to be.

You're the one always replies to stuff pages late, right?

e: I just bothered to look at that morass of words you called a post, and yeah you are. Grats OP, you were at least somewhat memorable to me.

e2: just went hog wild on this thread

Wanamingo fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Libertarianism is influenced by morality of course. I said that committing aggression is unjustified and that moral laws should be universal. However, the question that libertarians ponder is referred to as punishment theory. If a person is trespassing against you, are you within your rights to use proportional force against them? When can force be used?

I'm going to complain about this one very small point out of that one very long post, and say trespassing against you? Really?

Really?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Reminder that "time preference" is a fancy way of telling the fable of the ant and the grasshopper. Or when you put it through the Hoppe-o-mizer, the fable of the farsighted, pureblooded Caucasian noble and the seed corn guzzling Negroid.

Hell, not even that. Somebody upthread got it spot on when they said he's just calling black people lazy.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DrProsek posted:

So how does Libertopia handle advances in technology that weren't even a thing back when the vehicle of oppression known as the State was abolished? Like in 100 years, I buy myself a comet, jrod buys himself a gas giant. Through no effort on my part, as a part of my comet's natural flight path, it goes through jrod's gas giant. Did I trespass on jrod's property? Who decides whether my comet naturally flying through jrod's gas giant counts as trespassing? Who decides how we calculate damages awarded to jrod in the event that my comet passing through his gas giant is trespassing? What if my Dispute Resolution Organization is a member of a different association of DROs than jrod's and has a different view on how comet/gas giant interactions work? What if in my DRO's view, jrod had an obligation to move his gas giant out of the flight path of my comet, and needs to pay me a fee for putting my comet in danger from having flown straight through a gas giant containing God knows what?

I admit I'm jumping a few steps ahead by bringing up DROs when we haven't established if there's anything wrong with me ethnically cleansing my neighborhood through my Homeowner's Association banning all black people, but this seemed like a fairly glaring practical flaw.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jrod, do you believe there's a difference between being prejudiced, and supporting policies that, as an effect of whatever's being enacted, would give rise to a prejudiced outcome? Why or why not?

To give a practical example, would somebody who supports a law which would allow bakeries to refuse service to same sex couples be a bigot, even if they were personally in favor of gay marriage?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Every time the Sterling thing comes up, it reminds me of this front page article from a few months back.

quote:

During the viewing of professional basketball games, you could be caught on camera at any time. In order to communicate the normalcy of your special friendship to the world at large, it's important to look calm and confident with a man who probably qualified for several heart surgeries before your conception. While there may be difficulty in finding common ground, Mr. Sterling always enjoys discussing how much the NBA players in front of him could be sold for as human chattel, especially during draft season.

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/donald-sterling-agreement/

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyTolradi posted:

This. The major issue with libertarianism is that either everyone follows the "gentleman’s agreement" system or it complete fails and is abused.

I want to see a movie that's just The Invention of Lying, except it's set in a libertopia and it's about selfishness.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jrod, I'mma put this simple for you. People think your heroes are racist because there's no difference between holding racist views, and supporting policies that would disenfranchise minorities.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Socrates16 posted:

I've always been surprised by most Goons' vehement hatred for libertarianism, especially considering that the SA forums are a great representation of what people can do when they're allowed to freely organize themselves. I don't know how many of you are gamers, but if you are, think about how idiotic politicians are when it comes to videogames. They're totally uneducated about the issue, yet they make policy based off the emotions of voters who are also ignorant. What you need to realize is that they're doing the same thing for every single issue. They're uneducated and belligerent, and playing off of your emotions.

Source your quotes.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Socrates16 posted:

What quotes?

It's a sarcastic way of telling you that you just made a really lovely post.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

*man with fake nose and glasses comes into room*

"I agree with jrodefeld."

Everything else aside, SedanChair, you're alright in my book.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cercadelmar posted:

Your posts are an act of aggression on me

I will not create joinder with you!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Socrates16 posted:

Less government would mean they'd be making less decisions about policies.

Seriously though this is a really loving stupid thing to say.

Massively, colossally stupid.

e: it is incredibly, mind bogglingly stupid. Es tan estúpido que necesito decirte en espańol tambien, es el más estúpidísimo.

Wanamingo fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 11, 2014

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I love you, Somfin.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tezzor posted:

I am still waiting on an explanation on how nonviolent passive resistance is in fact aggressive force.

I was typing something else up here, but I just realized. Jrod says the main reason that harming people is bad is because it violates their property rights, correct? In this case it's their body, but property is property so whatever. Now when somebody is making inappropriate contact with you, they're doing so by placing themselves on your property without your permission, something that we call can agree is forceful. What does that make trespassing, then, if it also involves somebody placing themselves on your property without your consent?

Enough dancing around the subject, I'll just say it: under Jrod's hosed up philosophy, trespassing is rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gantolandon posted:

jrod, one thing I can't understand is why did you actually pay :10bux: multiple times to register on these forums? You hardly do anything but proselytize about libertarianism in the way that get you mocked and sometimes banned. You would achieve a similar result while preaching to a flock of seagulls. While they could eventually poo poo on your head, at least they would do this free of charge.

He's witnessing to us.

• Locked thread