Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

When someone says that they're libertarian this story immediately runs through my head:

quote:

I was shooting heroin and reading “The Fountainhead” in the front seat of my privately owned police cruiser when a call came in. I put a quarter in the radio to activate it. It was the chief.

“Bad news, detective. We got a situation.”

“What? Is the mayor trying to ban trans fats again?”

“Worse. Somebody just stole 474 million dollars’ worth of bitcoins.”

The heroin needle practically fell out of my arm. “What kind of monster would do something like that? Bitcoins are the ultimate currency: virtual, anonymous, stateless. They represent true economic freedom, not subject to arbitrary manipulation by any government. Do we have any leads?”

“Not yet. But mark my words: we’re going to figure out who did this and we’re going to take them down… provided someone pays us a fair market rate to do so.”

“Easy, chief,” I said, “Any rate the market offers is, by definition, fair.”

He laughed. “That’s why you’re the best I got, Lisowski. Now you get out there and find those bitcoins.”

“Don’t worry,” I said. “I’m on it.”

I put a quarter in the siren. Ten minutes later, I was on the scene. It was a normal office building, strangled on all sides by public sidewalks. I hopped over them and went inside.

“Home Depot™ presents The Police!®” I said, flashing my badge and my gun and a small picture of Ron Paul. “Nobody move unless you want to!” They didn’t.

“Now, which one of you punks is going to pay me to investigate this crime?” No one spoke up.

“Come on,” I said. “Don’t you all understand that the protection of private property is the foundation of all personal liberty?”

It didn’t seem like they did.

“Seriously, guys. Without a strong economic motivator, I’m just going to stand here and not solve this case. Cash is fine, but I prefer being paid in gold bullion or autographed Penn Jillette posters.”

Nothing. These people were stonewalling me. It almost seemed like they didn’t care that a fortune in computer money invented to buy drugs was missing.

I figured I could wait them out. I lit several cigarettes indoors. A pregnant lady coughed, and I told her that secondhand smoke is a myth. Just then, a man in glasses made a break for it.

“Subway™ Eat Fresh and Freeze, Scumbag!®” I yelled.

Too late. He was already out the front door. I went after him.

“Stop right there!” I yelled as I ran. He was faster than me because I always try to avoid stepping on public sidewalks. Our country needs a private-sidewalk voucher system, but, thanks to the incestuous interplay between our corrupt federal government and the public-sidewalk lobby, it will never happen.

I was losing him. “Listen, I’ll pay you to stop!” I yelled. “What would you consider an appropriate price point for stopping? I’ll offer you a thirteenth of an ounce of gold and a gently worn ‘Bob Barr ‘08’ extra-large long-sleeved men’s T-shirt!”

He turned. In his hand was a revolver that the Constitution said he had every right to own. He fired at me and missed. I pulled my own gun, put a quarter in it, and fired back. The bullet lodged in a U.S.P.S. mailbox less than a foot from his head. I shot the mailbox again, on purpose.

“All right, all right!” the man yelled, throwing down his weapon. “I give up, cop! I confess: I took the bitcoins.”

“Why’d you do it?” I asked, as I slapped a pair of Oikos™ Greek Yogurt Presents Handcuffs® on the guy.

“Because I was afraid.”

“Afraid?”

“Afraid of an economic future free from the pernicious meddling of central bankers,” he said. “I’m a central banker.”

I wanted to coldcock the guy. Years ago, a central banker killed my partner. Instead, I shook my head.

“Let this be a message to all your central-banker friends out on the street,” I said. “No matter how many bitcoins you steal, you’ll never take away the dream of an open society based on the principles of personal and economic freedom.”

He nodded, because he knew I was right. Then he swiped his credit card to pay me for arresting him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also, in a stateless world who resolves disputes, from where do they draw their authority, and how do they enforce their decisions?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

quote:

If you are a frontiersman and you come across previously unowned and unused natural land and you build a house, build a fence, graze cattle and plant crops, then that which you altered through your labor becomes your property. That is, no one has a better claim to maintain final decision making authority over that scarce resource than you.

Who gets to decide whether a piece of natural land was unused before you built your house, fence, etc? If I decide that your front yard is unused natural land and place some cattle on it because you haven't mowed the lawn in awhile, how do you respond?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

Also, since I am putting it out there explicitly that I am a libertarian market anarchist, I would appreciate it if you could first tell me what your views are. Are you a social democrat? A Marxist? A left anarchist like Noam Chomsky (are there any of those on this site)?

Why does that matter? The viewpoint of your opponent does not change the validity of their arguments. You need to be able to debate your position on its own merits.

quote:

If someone murdered your wife or family member would you want that person dead? What punishment would you think is just? Maybe, like me, you oppose capital punishment on moral grounds. Then you should have the right to have the person physically removed from society as punishment for the murder.

What if someone murdered your wife and someone else's, and that other victim believes that capital punishment is the only suitable solution? What if he murdered 1000 wives and each person had an opinion on what was justified as a punishment?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

I'm not saying it does. A discussion is a two way street though. But it is pretty easy for a critic to sit back and nitpick about every possible issue that could arise in a proposed political order, but what is their alternative? The way to critique a proposal is not to point out that some difficult issue might arise, but rather how does a proposed society compare to any other valid alternatives? The issue is one of comparison.

I think my arguments stand on their own merits but I'd still like to learn about what you all think is a valid alternative at some point. I don't know why you would want to withhold that information.

This is the libertarian thread, so it makes sense to talk about libertarianism here. If you want to discuss other systems, then that either belongs in threads belonging to those other systems or in a thread about these kinds of systems in general.

quote:

I don't know what the optimal solution is to this dilemma. Fortunately I don't have to know.

Why the gently caress not? Don't you want to talk about libertarianism? If your first response to my first argument is "uhh I don't know I'm sure it'll all work out for reasons" then you're basically just wasting everyone's time

quote:

In an anarchist society, private arbitration services will compete for your patronage. The justice system in a libertarian world will be geared towards restitution but each arbitration service will have stipulations and policies regarding situations like this. Maybe the most recent victim will have a greater say in the punishment. Maybe a democratic vote from the victims of the murderer will rule the day. There are many viable possibilities.

Who runs the justice system? What if I decide that I'm the only valid judge and that all decisions made by your justice system are invalid?

If someone kills your family and that guy does not consent to be judged by your justice system, then are you allowed to initiate violence upon his person? What if he kills himself before you can initiate violence, can you initiate violence on his family, or take his belongings, or something?

What happens if I bribe the arbitration service that we're using? What if I walk into the court room and say right to your face "I've bribed the judge" and he permits me to kill you as retribution for wasted my time with a frivolous lawsuit? This is all completely legal in your system.

What if I take you to an arbitration service and bribe the judge to give me all of your stuff? You've obligated to agree based on whatever stupid contract you signed with the arbitration service, right? What else could you do, would you initiate violence on my person?

You've basically exchanged "might makes right" with "buying power makes right", which is hosed up. When you let everything be dictated by market forces alone then you create a really lovely place.

quote:

I oppose capital punishment not because I think some people don't deserve death but because I believe that spiritually everyone should have the opportunity to make amends for their actions. Whether they make any effort to seriously repent is unknowable but everyone should have the opportunity in my view. Also, I think the idea of revenge is an understandable impulse but it is still not healthy for society. But if another victim strongly favored the death penalty and I couldn't convince them otherwise, I would allow them to make the final determination.

I don't really care why you oppose capital punishment but okay

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

There is a huge difference between voluntary democracy and coercive democracy. If you are hanging out with a group of friends and you say "who wants to go see a movie?" and a majority say yes, then that is a form of democracy. No one is compelling you to do anything. In the case of an arbitration agency that is representing the victims of aggression, this would all be stipulated in the contract and terms of service that those people agreed to. It is not compulsory.

Compulsory democracy through the State means that a majority of people can use violence against a minority, deprive them of their property and restrict their range of economic options. Aggression is not justifiable because individuals own themselves. Ethical rules for conduct must be universal.

Just like lawyers do pro bono work, there will exist charity arbitration services that will represent victims who have no money. Since it is obviously in the interest of society at large that a criminal does not get away with victimizing someone, people will be willing to pay to have the convicted person tried for his crime.

A) Criminal commits a crime

B) You hire an arbitration service

C) Arbitration service demands that the criminal pay you restitution

D) Criminal tells arbitration service to gently caress off, because he is his own person and you can't compel him, and he's innocent anyway

What now? Guess your society is just hosed?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

D_I posted:

Where do these people learn to excel at these tasks? Do they hope that their father learned a specialty that is considered valuable from his father who learned it from his father? Obviously no one is born with the innate knowledge of woodworking or accounting. If not for public institutions paid for with tax money then there would be a permanent underclass that is unable to advance in society because of the luck of their birth. Libertarianism is a one generation system because it does not consider the needs of future generations or the under served.
What?! Are you kidding me? So education simply doesn't exist without the State?

Without public education, you wind up with a permanent underclass that is unable to advance in society due to no access to education. This is bad for the economy and bad for the society.

You have difficulty understanding economics and history, but I thought that you'd at least have okay reading comprehension

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OP, do you believe that the government banning lead-based additives to gasoline was unreasonable aggression and that burning lead should be permitted? Free market, right?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zero Gravitas posted:

Not the best example there, Captain not-so-glib.

I believe that that's an intentional misspelling.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OP, have you ever seriously considered moving to one of the world's many stateless paradises?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

I'm going to focus on the charge of racism that you made towards the libertarians

"because this is an issue that I feel comfortable discussing and I have no counterarguments for anything else"

Surely I'm not the only one who has notices that you refuse to discuss anything except for accusations made toward specific libertarians. Any real criticism of your retarded libertarian philosophy has been completely ignored.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Libertarianism permits me to kill a man and press his wife and children into slavery. Yes, this is a violation of the nonaggression principle. But who's going to stop me? If the local privatized police forces attempt to come after me, then I can just bribe them to look the other way because there's no governing body that would punish them for accepting bribes. If on a personal basis they won't accept bribes, then I can just go somewhere beyond their jurisdiction.

Libertarians know that this is true, but they don't care because they want a world where they can steal, rape, and murder without repercussions. They imagine that they won't be the victims, so it's okay.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jrodefield what happens when your nonaggression principle is broken in your anarchist society? In the absence of a state, who decides punishment, who enforces that punishment, and who pays for this enforcement? If you had no money to pay for private security or private arbitration, then wouldn't it be de facto legal to rob and murder you in such a society?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Demanding that only white English speakers be able to immigrate here and recognizing that black people have a lower IQ isn't racism you dummies

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Obdicut posted:

Is this just a direct lie on your part or were you really ignorant of that?

Said every critic of libertarianism ever. Seriously, it's as though the whole school of thought only retains extreme idiots or pathological liars.

Other absurd lies spread by libertarians:
1) Wars only happen because of fiat currency
2) Boom/bust cycles only happen because of government intervention
3) Miscellaneous racist statements
4) Intentional redefinition of terms whenever it suits their purpose, "it's violent for you to walk across my lawn without my permission, but it's not violent for me to shoot you for doing so"
5) Holocaust denial and other attempts at revising hostory

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

The reason we're still harping on this, jrodefeld, is that through all of the threads you've started you've yet to demonstrate why and how a libertarian society would shun racism. Sure, "the state did it," but one reason that blacks in the south and in the inner cities have remained poor, is that plenty of private citizens have been racist too, in their hiring, renting, and selling practices. In fact I think we've suggested convincingly (see I'm arguing just like you now!) that in the absence of the state, racism would gain a whole variety of avenues through which it could be expressed.

You don't get it, slavery only existed because the state mandated that everyone should own slaves. There are no examples of stateless societies owning slaves. And racism only exists because of the state, too, which is why it's impossible for real libertarians to be racists

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

You have the right, in this country, and in every nation where any semblance of private property rights, to expel, violently if necessary, black people from your home or private property. Is this racist? If you are expelling them from your home because they are black, then of course it is! But because a racist could not permit a black person, a Jew, or a Mexican to come to his dinner parties, does that mean we should force all home owners to admit anyone into their homes or private gatherings that we, as a society, would like?

What about the advocate of free speech rights. You have the right to say or write any number of hateful, racist and supremacist things. Does this make the defender of free speech a racist?

Because I recognize the right of someone to free speech (an aspect of self ownership) or of the right to determine the use of scarce resources that they justly acquired, that does not mean I have to approve of every use. And I wouldn't approve of a racist. I would oppose the KKK and white supremacist speech by speaking out against it. I would still affirm their right to speak that hateful language. Does that make me a racist? Of course not.

And who said anything about "moral imperative"? You just made that up. I didn't say that, Hoppe didn't say that, Rothbard didn't say that.

When you spend this much time and effort trying to dance around different definitions of racism in an effort to prove that you're not racist, then you're probably a racist.

"When Ron Paul wrote that the negro is fleet-flooted, it was intended as a compliment! If that's a racist statement, then all compliments are racist!"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

I'm going to take a break posting until tomorrow. When I return I am going to retire the whole "racism" thing. If you want to believe Rothbard and Hoppe are racists, fine. I can't convince you otherwise no matter how much evidence I provide.

You haven't provided any evidence showing otherwise you loving shitbag

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Holy gently caress guys, how are you posting in this thread so quickly? The OP hasn't posted in over 150 posts, what the gently caress could you possibly be talking about that's so interesting?

Socrates16 posted:

I've always been surprised by most Goons' vehement hatred for libertarianism, especially considering that the SA forums are a great representation of what people can do when they're allowed to freely organize themselves. I don't know how many of you are gamers, but if you are, think about how idiotic politicians are when it comes to videogames. They're totally uneducated about the issue, yet they make policy based off the emotions of voters who are also ignorant. What you need to realize is that they're doing the same thing for every single issue. They're uneducated and belligerent, and playing off of your emotions.

Oh, he has an alternate account

Socrates16 posted:

Out of curiosity, is it just me and jrodefeld that are libertarians in Debate and Discussion as far as you all know? I don't think I've ever seen another. I've poked my head in here from time to time but never posted until I saw this thread. Ancaps are all over facebook so its a bit of a shock being in a forum without more than a few.

Then you haven't been here very long because SA was an unironic hotbed of libertarianism for many years, but during their discussions those libertarians kept encountering huge issues with libertarianism and eventually most of them realized that libertarianism is loving retarded

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

Now, if I acquire private property in a legitimate manner
I cannot see any other rational principle by which a person can acquire property legitimately than the principle of original appropriation or homesteading

1) In the absence of a state, who determines whether the manner used to acquire some property was legitimate? If your answer is "private arbitration", what motivation does a thief have to agree to private arbitration?

jrodefeld posted:

Any enforcement of “law” is an act of force.

2) In the absence of a state, what is a law?

jrodefeld posted:

I believe there is no legal statute of limitations on justice.

3) In the absence of a state, who decides what is legal?

4) In the absence of a state, who decides what is just?

jordefeld posted:

If proof can be presented that property was stolen from you or your ancestors, then that property should be returned to you.

5) In the absence of a state, to whom do you present this proof, and then who enforces the returning of your property?

jordefeld posted:

Many have asked about the feasibility of competing defense agencies and private dispute resolution agencies. You seem to think that we need a centralized monopolistic authority to provide "the law". I think this is a very dangerous concept that, as history has proven, is rife with abuse. I know some of you hate when I do this, but I am going to quote from Stefan Molyneux on this subject. I don't always agree with Molyneux but in this instance I think his insights are valuable. This isn't the final word, but I think it offers plenty of food for thought:

"I don't actually have an opinion of my own because I'm a guy who skims books rather than reading them, but here's a quote that I think is relevant *shits in own mouth*"

e: Your first quote requires people to voluntarily sign contracts with a central authority. Not only does that define a state, but it also requires both parties to sign with the same central authority. Under such a system, it's "legal" to kidnap, rape, and murder your family so long as I don't sign a dispute resolution contract with you. Furthermore, the author realizes that this is the definition of a state, but then handwaves it away as "superstition" because, historically speaking, a private company has never replaced a state before, therefore it's impossible. That's right, if you create a governing body with all of the features of a state but call it a private company, then by libertarian logic it is definitely not a state.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 11, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Your second post, jrodefeld, has the same issues as the first: do not sign a contract with the person from whom you intend to steal, and you're good to go. This author goes on to discuss disputes which do not have a pre-signed contract in place. The answer, of course, is having private security forces that install surveillence equipment in every home and on every street, and then the burglar gets a phone call and some men showing up at his door. This is not at all like a police state because _______.

In other words, justice systems in libertopia can only function if we have 24/7 surveillence of all places at all times. This is to secure your FREEDOM. He also explains that if you don't have enough money to pay for detectives and the like then yes, it's basically legal for your family to be kidnapped, raped, and murdered (because if you really cared about them you'd pony up the extra Ron Paul Liberty Dollars for SECURITY LEVEL 4 GOLD SERVICE)

And then there's this:

quote:

Not many murderers would wish to live under laws that permitted them to kill--and be killed.

That's pretty loving naive, kind of like all libertarian ideas

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 11, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

So, basically DRO's are more controlling over our freedoms than a State is? Good to know.

Lol jrodefeld, you literally posted an entire explanation of how you're not free at all, but totally under the mercy of the DRO system. Good work in destroying your own philosophy. Talk about an own goal.

And not just a little more controlling, but way more controlling. The idea is basically to have a state that can monitor everyone at all times in order to enforce free market principles, but of course the state won't be allowed to violate those principles (why not? Because). This is anarchy because the agencies that govern every aspect of your life aren't called governments

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

EVE Online is a good example of what happens when libertarianism runs wild. Stealing poo poo that belongs to other people is what everyone does, and war chiefs rise and collapse in extreme violence all the time. As time goes on, people start banding together and creating non-libertarian governments, usually monarchies but Goonswarm decided to form a communist coalition just because it made all of the little libertarian try-hards mad. This was so successful that they're now the leading alliance in the game, owning more conquerable space than anyone else. It turns out that lovely little inter-squabbling libertarian poo poo-holes are no match against a well-organized state.

It turns out that people are lovely. People scam and cheat each other even if they gain nothing from doing so. When your philosophy relies on everyone being an economically motivated perfectly rational actor who opposes violence, you've already made so many flawed assumptions that any ideas springing from those assumptions will have no relevance in our world. This is libertarianism, and it is loving stupid.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 11, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If a single person is lovely and doesn't act in perfect economic self-interest then the libertarian model has already failed. And it turns out that a lot of people are lovely

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Maybe what we need is just one person to engage jrod, we all discuss the problems with his libertarian ideas and then we have a single messenger who sends a single pressing issue via PM to jrod. And then that messenger posts jrod's reply in the thread and we repeat the process. That way there are no distractions.

I know that this will never work because jrod would just never reply to legitimate problems and would instead just go on a tirade about how DR RON PAUL isn't a racist but I thought it was a cool idea

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cheekio posted:

It's a shame forum invasions are frowned upon these days, there aren't enough libertarians here to answer all these great questions.

As a freeman on the land and a voluntary participant in the free market of ideas, the illegal FUHRER PRESIDENT FOR LIFE LOWTAX REGIME can't forbid you from seeking out libertarians and telling them how loving stupid they are

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

paragon1 posted:

If my DRO decides that the cost of resolving things in my favor is too great when measured against potential loss from dealing with my enemy's DRO, and all the DRO's use the same industry standard calculations to reach the same conclusion, what are my alternatives?

Suicide

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Verus posted:

So I was thinking more about DROs just now, and I'm wondering:

1. What happens if there's some uncertainty as to whether you committed a crime while under the jurisdiction of a DRO?
Scenario 1: You come home, kill your wife, and then immediately call up and cancel your DRO protection. They call your wife to warn her, but she's already dead and they come to bring you in for a 'trial'.

Scenario 2: You come home. You then call up and cancel your DRO protection, and immediately after the cancellation is confirmed you murder your wife. They call your wife to warn her, but she's already dead and they come to bring you in for a 'trial'.

In Scenario 1, you committed the murder while still a subscriber to your DRO, so presumably the contract you signed allows them to come and drag you away. But what if you deny that you were under their protection when the murder happened, like in Scenario 2? Unless they have constant camera surveillance of your private property, the DRO has no method of distinguishing Scenario 1 from Scenario 2. Now there's a second dispute about whether they're authorized to bring you in to 'justice'---who resolves this dispute?

2. What if you're a higher-up executive or something at a DRO, or the friend or family of someone who is? Since the DRO is the only thing enforcing the law in the area, and since obviously whoever's in charge of sentencing isn't going to piss off their boss, aren't you effectively allowed to commit any crime you want with absolutely no repercussions?

Haven't you been reading the thread? Everyone in ancap libertopia has 24/7 Orwellian-state PRIVATE ENTERPRISE surveillance installed throughout their homes. Everyone will voluntarily accept this because it's not the state forcing it upon them and therefore it's fine.

Literally the only way for the DRO scheme to work is if all crimes are directly observable at all times, such that there is no doubt of guilt or innocence. It also requires assuming that the individuals running these organizations are incorruptible, infallible, and affordable.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 14, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

Thanks for the reply. I'll freely admit that if you were to keep one welfare program in the brave new negative tax world, it should be Medicare/Medicaid but that's also a relatively smaller program ($700b versus the entire federal welfare/social security budget at around $2.3 trillion). The U.S. prints more than that amount of money a year and so there's no reason why it should have to be funded by :spooky:taxation through theft:spooky: at which point I have no objection at all. Currently that printed money is just being handed straight to big private banks in the country, presumably with the purpose of stimulating the economy. Of course, people in need spending money at the doctor's office would also stimulate the economy so it's just a thin excuse for corporate welfare.

Even in Milton Friedman's world, when you have a central reserve he believed you should print money every year to counter deflation (through population growth, if nothing else) and provide a stable safe place for value. That printed money has to be given to someone, so by all means if we've got a little bit of post-scarcity kicking, give it to those who need it most. It neither harms me nor picks my pocket. I don't have a problem with governments having a currency of their own. Not even Ron Paul does, although some libertarians certainly do. Currently we're printing about $1T a year, so it's not a tall order to cut down on printing and still fund Medicaid this way.

I'd like you to address the majority of people who would benefit more from having more cash to spend. Do you think the current welfare system in Australia and the U.S. can do it better? If mostly white guys administering life for mostly black guys is a good idea, why has poverty persisted since America's Great Society in the 60's whereas the cash-based social security of the 30's vastly reduced senior homelessness? If you take Friedman's negative tax number in that video as a guide, $3,000 in 1964 translates to about $20,300 today in America. IIRC that's like $1k/yr below the federal poverty line for one person with three dependents, and about $9,000-10,000 higher than poverty line for someone without dependents.

For the sake of making a quick point with a laughably broad brush, take that $2.3 trillion welfare budget number from above. I think roughly 14% of Americans live at or below poverty line. 320M x .14 = 44.8M. Split that $2.3T budget between them evenly and you get around $51,000 per year per person. That's straight middle class, and yet there's still 40+ million in literal poverty. Why aren't we getting bang for our buck?

By no means am I saying it's an idea only libertarians have. In the sense of libertarianism as an adjective, it is an idea that is comparatively more libertarian than what we currently have in America. For a general sum, I'm not an expert. $20,000 a year x 44.8M poors is $896B/year. A less than a trillion a year budget sounds pretty cost efficient, especially when mostly poverty and desperation motivated crime cost us over that amount every year. We could scale it so that you would make no less than $35,000 a year if you had a full-time job paying min wage, $15k + $20k. Make more than that and the taxpayer contributes less, but you're still at the minimum floor of $35k through job wages + tax rebate. People will still be proud (and/or petty) of having a higher wage than someone else so I don't buy the idea that it'll destroy incentive to work. Employees will be freer to pursue their own business ideas or trash an abusive boss and walk away, something that civil rights legislation has never accomplished.

Explain why social security was so successful at vastly reducing senior poverty in the 30's. You get a check, and that's the end of Uncle Sam's involvement. He doesn't need to micromanage you after that point. And it worked. I'm not going to go into the idea that you're denying someone agency in their life with how rules-heavy these programs are today, because it seems like you may not share that concern in the way I do. But understand that does greatly inform my disapproval of these programs versus no-strings cash.

As a progressive, I'm generally supportive of a minimum income. But there are some questions to consider, and the answers to these will likely change depending on your political philosophy:

To what value do you set the minimum income?

How do you deal with shithead conservatives who would want to have the minimum income set way below the poverty line? Or even worse, a shithead Congress that takes a working minimum income and either eliminates it or cuts it such that it places people way below the poverty line?

How do you deal with shithead conservatives who believe that people will simply choose not to work?

Does the minimum income change based on how many kids you have? Does it change if you have a crippling disability? Is there a limit to these adjustments?

You suggested keeping Medicare/Medicaid, but what about people who live in states where Medicaid is poo poo? Do we try to compensate for that? I think that an acceptable answer to these questions is "get rid of Medicare/Medicaid and create a national health service paid for by tax revenue". Do you agree or disagree?

Does the minimum income change depending on where you live, due to cost of living differences around the country?

How do you feel about the idea that Nixon only wanted a guaranteed minimum income so that it would be easier to eliminate or cut "the nanny state" in the future? A single plan is much easier to eliminate or cut, after all.

And an unrelated question: do you believe that Ron Paul is a libertarian, like most do?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

isildur posted:

Christ, this thread makes me want to devil's advocate for libertarianism, just so it has someone who isn't useless advocating for it. At least the arguments would be more interesting.

Socrates16 is already doing that. He keeps trolling the thread and making thinly-veiled arguments in favor of socialism and the schmucks in this thread keep falling over themselves trying to debate him on libertarianism. No one is seriously as stupid as Socrates16 pretends to be

e: He said that private enterprise would never lead to rape or slavery, as though that's not exactly what has happened throughout the existence of private enterprise. No one actually believes that libertarianism will end rape. Even actual libertarians don't think that, their counterargument would be more akin to "you hopefully won't be raped, but if you are then it'll be caught on the cameras throughout your house and then your contract with the local DRO will lead to swift justice plus a big cash settlement and you'll be able to retire on a big pile of Ron Paul Liberty Bucks"

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 15, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tbp posted:

The banking system hasn't collapsed though. I put the blame more on the government for not enforcing proper regulations than the banks for doing whatever they were allowed.

That's like drinking a gallon of bleach and then getting mad at the government for not stopping you

So if you believe that the government is responsible in this case, then you would agree that the government should enact better controls on the banks and do a better job of enforcing them, yes? I'm on board with that. We should regulate banks and enforce the gently caress out of those regulations so that poo poo like this can't happen again.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tbp posted:

That's not like that, because ultimately there was relatively small amounts of harm for the people in the institutions and those institutions themselves.

Then it's like taking ipecac for no reason; all that it does is make you miserable for awhile, but no real harm is done to you. But the loving nanny state should have stopped me from drinking it and having to vomit all morning for nothing

quote:

And yes, I do.

If there was no state, would the banks still not be at fault?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cheekio posted:

Hypocrisy is a pretty common among libertarians who end up needing to rely on a public safety net:

http://www.patiastephens.com/2010/12/05/ayn-rand-received-social-security-medicare/

edit: beaten, but now with link!

If the government hadn't stifled my innovation as a natural-born captain of industry then I wouldn't have had to go on the dole in the first place

• Locked thread