Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Radbot posted:

As ridiculously conservative as Australia has become, you are nowhere near the US in that regard. Most libertarians, and hell, many Americans conservatives, believe the disabled should gently caress off and die, full stop, since they're not able to contribute economically in the same way (the only way that matters).

This really cannot be emphasized enough. This attitude is so pervasive in American culture here that people in desperate need of help will refuse to seek help until they are sometimes literally forced to by hunger/being committed, because of the stigma of being "one of those people".

Filing for disability here is often a 2 year process of misery and humiliation where you have to justify your right to continue existing to a panel of experts trained to find ways to refuse you. And then after all that you get the label of moocher for accepting $800 a month to somehow live off of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

RuanGacho posted:

It sounds like the only thing lacking is he didn't end up homeless, not that I wish it on him but I have a hard time believing someone would still be screaming to demolish the government when it was literally the only thing keeping them alive.

Yeah, you'd think that, but I've had plenty of arguments with homeless Libertarians and homeless Tea Partiers. (They are much less common than in the regular population though, at least in my experience, but they do exist.)

• Locked thread