Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

jrodefeld posted:

Do you understand the concept of intelligence quotient? If I have a lower intelligence quotient it merely means that I am inherently worse at thinking and planning. Does that make me inferior? If there are observed differences in intelligence quotient between different cultures and racial groups, why is it inherently racist to point that out?

but in all seriousness:

jrodefeld posted:

Hans Hoppe also made the point that people who have children have, on average, a lower time preference. As a way of illustration he mentioned that, again on average, single people, gays and nuns have a relatively higher time preference. Since a parent usually makes long term plans for the future, even after he or she is dead, for the good of their children, their time preferences are very low. Someone who doesn't have children will, on average, not save as much for the future and be more likely to consume more of their wealth before they die.

Why can't gay couples just buy children on the free market, like some of your libertarian overlords think should be allowed? But then I guess we wouldn't have a reason to ostracize them, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

On Stefan Molyneux:

But don't worry---there will be absolutely no criminal fraud or deception in Libertopia!

(Because it's only a crime if the local Freeman of the International Protection Agency declares it so.)

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

So I was thinking more about DROs just now, and I'm wondering:

1. What happens if there's some uncertainty as to whether you committed a crime while under the jurisdiction of a DRO?
Scenario 1: You come home, kill your wife, and then immediately call up and cancel your DRO protection. They call your wife to warn her, but she's already dead and they come to bring you in for a 'trial'.

Scenario 2: You come home. You then call up and cancel your DRO protection, and immediately after the cancellation is confirmed you murder your wife. They call your wife to warn her, but she's already dead and they come to bring you in for a 'trial'.

In Scenario 1, you committed the murder while still a subscriber to your DRO, so presumably the contract you signed allows them to come and drag you away. But what if you deny that you were under their protection when the murder happened, like in Scenario 2? Unless they have constant camera surveillance of your private property, the DRO has no method of distinguishing Scenario 1 from Scenario 2. Now there's a second dispute about whether they're authorized to bring you in to 'justice'---who resolves this dispute?

2. What if you're a higher-up executive or something at a DRO, or the friend or family of someone who is? Since the DRO is the only thing enforcing the law in the area, and since obviously whoever's in charge of sentencing isn't going to piss off their boss, aren't you effectively allowed to commit any crime you want with absolutely no repercussions?

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

How the gently caress is he getting away with all these shitposts?

edit: HE WAS RIGHT REGULATION NEVER WORKS

• Locked thread