Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Serrath posted:

Look at it another way, if I had a public clinic with an average wait time of 2h and then, overnight, I started charging a fee per use and the wait time the next day declined to 30min, would you call that a success? What do you suppose the people who formally sat in that queue are doing instead?

Well, they still need the service, they're just waiting until they can afford to pay for it. I guess that makes their wait time infinite, doesn't it? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

jrodefeld posted:

Of course greed exists. If greed is not backed up by initiatory aggression, I don't see how it can harm me.

Have we just not established a number of ways someone could be harmed withoug 'initiating aggression'?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

Um, I know admitting this makes me a total failure as an Australian, but I've never even watched Mad Max so I don't actually know what you're talking about.

Step 1: Watch every Mad Max film.

Step 2: Win. :australia:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

You know that you've messed up when you start longing for the friendly, humane, laissez-faire leadership of Josef Stalin in comparison to your 'nonviolent' utopia.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

twodot posted:

I don't follow the logic. I have no assets whatsoever. I have an entity X that claims I owe it Y scrip, which I could only possibly pay by selling myself as a slave. Under an-cap, why don't I just tell entity X to gently caress right the gently caress off? If the answer is "They will murder you", then the problem isn't with predatory lending it's with people who will enforce debts via murder (I contend such lenders would be better off just enslaving/robbing/murdering people without entrapping them into contracts). If the answer is "The community won't like you", then I don't see why we are supposing the community will hate debt-ignorers more than entities that create unreasonable debts. Clearly if we go an-cap and everyone is assholes, then it is a really, really bad situation, but we don't need to examine what lending even means without currency to figure that out.

Wait, if your an-cap model has zero way to actually enforce contracts, what makes it -cap at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

isildur posted:

If we accept that the state has some legitimate functions, is there a way to construct a non-dystopian libertarian state?

Non-dystopian, probably not. Functional? Sure. Have a state which is pared down to literally a military, a tax bureau, a police, and a judicial system, and have the only laws be against violent crime and property crime. It'd be a lovely weak-rear end country with no economy to speak of, but it wouldn't implode immediately.

• Locked thread