Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
I'm really glad there's a political movement to create the world of Snowcrash, I've always wanted to have a nuclear-powered cybernetic dog like Fido :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't have the article handy but apparently in Phoenix you can pay extra to go to Scottsdale Jails instead of Tent City for a small fee.

Niiiice. Really looking forward to the Mafia running the entire pizza industry and & franchise neighborhoods DROs.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

That reminds me, jhoder, how would a libertarian society deal with organized crime? You know, extortion, theft, kidnapping, human trafficking etc would all still exist probably. How would a libertarian society enforce the few rules it has? Especially since w/ organized crime you are dealing with large conglomerates intent on violating libertarian "rules", not just individuals.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

These organizations are called DRO's, and as has already been explained to you, such activities would be unprofitable because in a free market, the mafia DRO's who engaged in it would be ostracized by rational actors who do not want organized crime to go unpunished.

:ohdear: I better buy stock in the Russian Mafia then.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Psykmoe posted:

The initial DRO world salad claims that organized crime only exists because it gets incentives from the state, such as an easily bribed police force. Since Libertarians believe the state is directly responsible for organized crime, it won't exist in a stateless society, because DROs with only the oversight of...rational actors ( :v: )probably won't be interested in taking large amounts of money to look the other way.

Really looking forward it buying stock in the Somali Pirate Stock Exchange when it goes international. Fun times :dance:

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I don't see how a libertarian society will make, say , organized retail crime go away. Those guys steal things for a living and unless each business runs background checks at the door (an expensive and time consuming process that would annoy legitimate customers) there's no way to prevent them from entering. I guess in a libertarian society you can hire guards to physically stop suspected thieves but I'm not sure how that's different than calling the police other than possibly more violence & shootings.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

SedanChair posted:

What emotion is this?

lol trick question: reptiles don't have emotions.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like government regulations because I don't like to have to sit down and do a bunch of paperwork and research every nuance of everything when I try to do anything. Like, I don't want to have to research which restaurant has tasty food that ALSO won't kill me every time I eat out. I don't want to research the companies that do the independent testing to make sure the food is safe to make sure they're on the level. On top of that I don't want to figure out which restaurants my DRO has security agreements with so I don't get ripped off.

Call me lazy but that sounds like a real loving pain to do every time I want to go out and do something. How is that MORE freedom than what we have now, where I can just leave the house and go somewhere knowing they have to follow food safety laws? I don't have to research anything beyond 'does this restaurant have tasty food?' That seems like a lot more freedom to me imo

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Socrates16 posted:

You're right. Restaurants would just be randomly murdering people if not for our benevolent god, the state.

That's actually what used to happen before food regulations so yeah, glad you see the light finally.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Socrates16 posted:

gently caress Walmart.

What do you have against the free market?

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Socrates16 posted:

You're right. That's why we're all dead.

Food poisoning killed a lot of people back in the day. Glad you agree with me :)

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Socrates16 posted:

The free market didn't create Walmart. Your beloved state roads did. But that's way above your head.

States are good for capitalism then :) I'm very glad you see it my way!

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

REALLY looking forward to buying stock on the genuinely free market that is the Somali pirate stock exchange! Somehow this will decrease theft, isn't that nice?

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Socrates16 posted:

When are you moving to North Korea?

I can't buy Somali pirate stock there :colbert:

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Socrates16 posted:

Gotta love the bootlickers thinking that corporations actually are restrained by the state that creates them. Absolutely adorable!

If regulations don't hinder the free market why are they bad, in your view?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

OP has abandoned us :smith:

• Locked thread