Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
This thread went nowhere and the other two guys weren't as entertaining as jrodefeld, but what always gets me is the fallacy that long-term repeat business is going to be preferable to short-term cash grabs, when the last several decades have shown that shareholders only give a poo poo about the next quarter's profits. And really, why shouldn't they? If I can gut a company and sell it off to make huge amounts of money versus not doing that and hoping to eventually turn a profit over a number of years, why wouldn't I? Rationally I should only be interested in what helps myself accrue power more quickly, and the more money I have immediately the more likely I stay on top, especially in Libertopia.

It's also weird that so much of it goes back to assuming that a company's thought process is "we need to keep customers happy" and not "we need to make sure our customers have no other choice."

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Berk Berkly posted:

There IS a compelling argument to be made for having a glut of money RIGHT NOW is better in the long term than slightly more money at a significantly later time due to opportunity costs which should be all the more reason to more closely regulate owner/invest/etc's ability to just loving ravage all the value out of a business and leave nothing but a dry husk and dust for the people left behind.

Reminder that the last Republican presidential candidate literally made his fortune working for a company that does this and one of the only good things people had to say about him was that he was 'a good businessman.'

• Locked thread