Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_I
Aug 31, 2004

jrodefeld posted:

In a market economy everyone is compensated for their work when an economic transactions takes place. In the division of labor people specialize in tasks that they excel at, then they trade their goods sand services for a medium of exchange.
Where do these people learn to excel at these tasks? Do they hope that their father learned a specialty that is considered valuable from his father who learned it from his father? Obviously no one is born with the innate knowledge of woodworking or accounting. If not for public institutions paid for with tax money then there would be a permanent underclass that is unable to advance in society because of the luck of their birth. Libertarianism is a one generation system because it does not consider the needs of future generations or the under served.

D_I fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Jrodefeld, why would private arbitration services compete for the business of people with no money? What happens when a person who has purchased an area of land the size of Pennsylvania goes up against a squatter who has pitched a yurt on a seemingly unused portion of that land?
Should have worked harder to get more land I guess.

So he doesn't want an elected body making rules for him but if it's a couple guys in a boardroom counting fat stacks then that is alright by him.

D_I fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 9, 2014

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

quote:

Without public education, you wind up with a permanent underclass that is unable to advance in society due to no access to education. This is bad for the economy and bad for the society.

You have difficulty understanding economics and history, but I thought that you'd at least have okay reading comprehension
Just use the internet dummy, you can use it at any public libr....oh shoot.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

jrodefeld posted:

The idea that a private business on the market has "power", much less anything comparable to a monopolistic State is absurd.
The idea that there is a magical "market" and not a collection of individuals that collude to produce beneficial outcomes for themselves is absurd. Your all powerful market could never last more than a generation because those at the top of the "market" would just collude with each other to maintain their position. An intermediary(elected government) is necessary to ensure this doesn't happen.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Yeah because your bitch-rear end "philosophy" has poisoned the ranks of politics and bureaucracy and made them think taxation is bad. Looter corporations escape their obligations, fix the system, use tax shelters and promote "austerity" for the little guy and public institutions. Austerity is a fraud meant to destroy systems and people's faith in them. You buy it as usual, you walking cloaca.
"Public education is failing our children" *cuts education budget* "Can you believe how bad the public school system is? *Cuts education budget* "Clearly what we need is a privatized education system" *Money left over is handed to private school corporations* "Oh your county can't afford a CostCo school? use the internet dummy."

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

jrodefeld posted:

NBA owners have nothing to do with the salaries that professional basketball players make? Sure it is the players who have to play but it is not the physical effort that makes them worth the money they earn. It is the fact that owners, executives, television channels and the combined sports economy advertise the sport, get people to pay for tickets in the arenas, get people to pay for cable and satellite sports packages like NBA League Pass and so on
NBA teams would be worthless without hmm Players to play on them? There is so much money to be made because of the quality of the product(the players). Sterling bought the team for $12 million and is selling it for $2 billion. Why? Because of the players that people want to see. In fact the NBA has a a rather collectivist structure with most teams receiving payments after the season in a rather dastardly communist plot called "Revenue sharing".

In fact sports in America have much more resemblance to collectivism than free market libertarianism, you know why? Because what is good for one team is good for the league as a whole. Try extrapolating that into the rest of the world, isn't that a nice notion?

D_I fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 11, 2014

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

jrodefeld posted:

It's only a government if it ceases to be voluntary. If a community chooses to contract with a security provider and every member of the community chooses to pay for collective defense, this is not anything close to a State. Of course every person could hire a private security agency to defend only their property but this would be very inefficient. It is much more likely that people will choose to come together in large groups and hire one defense agency to provide security for their neighborhood.

A State is defined not just by force but by monopoly. If a private security firm is doing a lousy job at protecting the property in a specific neighborhood, like for example there were multiple robberies in a month, then you could fire that security agency and hire a different agency to defend your property and keep you safe.

In a covenant community, all rules are being set by private property owners in a voluntary manner. Acting in a manner counter to the rules of the covenant would therefore be a property rights violation.

The anarchist society would become a beautiful tapestry of different experiments in social order and organization. Each community will develop differently based on their values. People will have an endless variety of choices of where to live based on their values and cultural characteristics.
How do these communities handle trade between each other with all these different rules? What if Paultopia wants to trade with Randville but Hoppestown is in between and wants it's cut for using their land. this just creates even more hindrances to free market exchange than having a centralized government.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

SedanChair posted:

So if a homeowner's association the size of Carson City, NV decided not to allow any black people, Jews or Mexicans within it's borders, are you OK with that?
Hey if you are a black jewish mexican why would you want to live somewhere you aren't wanted? Free Market individual choice, checkmate my friend.

Having a "Low time preference" just means you were born into a lot of money right? Because otherwise who else doesn't need to be a wage laborer in order to survive? I mean I don't have kids or anything but I also can't quit my job and start a small business when I have no capital to do so even if I want to.

D_I fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 11, 2014

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

Peven Stan posted:

Will you address the blatant hypocrisy in your verbose denunciations of the state when you used to work for the city government?
He saw the decay from the inside!

D_I
Aug 31, 2004
IDK guys this DRO society sounds very cold and logical, perfect for my feeble reptile brain.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004
I love how the solution in every Libertarian fanfic scenario is to "start your own competing ______".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_I
Aug 31, 2004
Friends don't let friends become rogues. Check in with your local DRO representative if you have crossed paths with a rogue. Don't forget your fees are due at the end of the month, failure of payment may result with your expulsion from the community. Reminder: this is not a totalitarian state, for you have entered into a contract. Have a prosperous day fellow Entrepenuer.

D_I fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 11, 2014

• Locked thread