Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

What a thread to miss.

Always been meaning to ask how a libertarian in their utopian society deals with a powerful, charismatic individual with leadership skills who is interested in exploiting the loopholes and legal rules of the society to accrue power and wealth. Their ultimate goal is dictatorship and subversion of the society. Any crimes they commit are structured in such a way they cannot reasonably be called to face justice or guilt on them.

This is a genuine question libertarians, PM me if you're afraid to post it in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

Serious answer from my Milton Friedman worship: if you're too uninvolved politically to fight for your negative taxation--I mean we're talking pure free cash here--then nothing can save you in any hypothetical system. If you do have the guarantee of living without starving, then you can always go your own way even if someone else has terrible taste/ethics. Unless you're also so uninvolved that you let this individual subvert your 14th Amendment rights, etc., in which case you've got :siren:BIG GOVERNMENT.:siren: Different flavors of libertarians may disagree with me on that last sentence.

Basically, you can't save someone who wouldn't save themselves given the chance and power to do so.

That is true, but our society is setup in such a way that while powerful people will always exist, no one man or woman can have all the power. They have to share it. Barring voter intimidation too if they do a poor job they can simply be voted out of office. With business we're also supposed to regulate them in such a way that there are no businesses too big to fail or a monopoly but the failure has been with our elected officials and culture on that part.

In a Libertarian society, there is no division of power. One person can become dictator since there is no regulation on power. One person can theoretically (however unrealistic) own all the corporations and business in America and therefore we are subservient to their whims. Of course that's supposing nobody realizes any kind of power in society is an illusion, or someone could just walk up and shoot them.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 19, 2014

• Locked thread