Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

“All day I've faced a barren waste”
Then he was led out into the desert to be tempted.
“But life cannot maintain itself alone.” (Frédéric Bastiat The Law)

“Without the taste of water, cool water”
“but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.” (Matthew 4:4)
“Each of us has a natural right — from God — to defend his person, his liberty, and his property.” (Frédéric Bastiat The Law)

“Old Dan and I with throats burnt dry”
“It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’ (Matthew 4:7)
But it is also true that a man may live and satisfy his wants by seizing and consuming the products of the labor of others. This process is the origin of plunder. (Frédéric Bastiat The Law)

“And souls that cry for water”
“Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’ (Matthew 4:10)
“When, then, does plunder stop?” (Frédéric Bastiat The Law)

“Cool, clear, water”
On the basis of the eternal will of God we have to think of EVERY HUMAN BEING, even the oddest, most villainous or miserable, as one to whom Jesus Christ is Brother and God is Father; and we have to deal with him on this assumption - Karl Barth
“starting from acts of choice; economics becomes a part, although the hitherto best elaborated part, of a more universal science, praxeology” (Von Mises, Human Action)

“Keep a-movin, Dan, don'tcha listen to him, Dan
He's a devil, not a man”
“You shall have no other gods before[a] me. (Exodus 20:3)
But freedom can make you unconstrained. You are free to make these stones to bread?

"And he spreads the burning sand with water
Dan, can ya see that big, green tree? "
I am not yet free. - unattributed civil right movement
Follow Liberty it can free you

"Where the water's runnin' free
And it's waitin' there for me and you? "
Freedom cannot be in the likeness of sin, it cannot be for sin, and it cannot condemn sin.
Would you not make “proper use of the rich treasure with which this knowledge (of freedom) provides” (Human Action Von Mises)

"It's water, cool, clear water."
Freedom cannot goto the cross. It cannot survive it’s negation.
But, “You must have the will to win.” (Fred Koch attributed C. Koch KII newsletter)

"The nights are cool and I'm a fool"
Does winning have meaning? Winning is not the truth.
You can have “all their authority and splendor” (Luke 4:5)

"Each star's a pool of water
Cool water"
Vanity of vanities! All is vanity. (Ecclesiastes 1:2)
But “men must act this way if they want to make their actions more successful than otherwise” (Human Action, Von Mises)

"But with the dawn I'll wake and yawn
And carry on to water
Cool, clear, water."
(Then) the devil had finished all this tempting, he left him until an opportune time. (Luke 4:13)

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Counterpoint:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hey baby lot's of freedom back at my place

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I have a bit of a question. Why is it that Libertarians so often seem to overlap with obnoxious internet atheists?

Rich libertarians fund publications popular in that community. Also Aristotle.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It's the "Science" business. Science as identical with philosophy and identical with reasoning, and not the science as just the scientific method. Science in the way the Austrians call praxeology a "science". Where does definition/understanding of "science" come from? Many of them will tell you straight up: Aristotle. See D. Brat, Ayn Rand, bunches of the Austrians, etc. Think that ridiculous cave man -> fire -> stone tools -> writing -> Aristotle - Rand image.

That same way of thinking is also in the skeptic community. Have you ever looked at the ads for some thing like ffrf in Scientific American, giant REASON in big bold letters. More Reason identical with philosophy and with science. It's all very enlightenment and a lot of it is very "natural philosophy" or "natural law", again that is very much originating in the thought of Aristotle. The ones who think the scientific method can give us Truth, and not just it's a method for testing hypothesis. People that think we can use testing to determine and really know the highest level abstractions that are fundamental to the universe. These days I'm thinking this is because of the libertarians putting money into science publications for decades now. The rich libertarians do this because they think the natural laws of science lead to the natural laws of economics (freedom, praxeology, etc). That's not conjecture either, they say they explicitly and give it as a reason for funding science programs (like NOVA).

I think this is also why there is the overlap with the ultra conservative Catholics who have a boner for Aquinas, because Aquinas is looking back to Aristotle.

The commonality that comes from Aristotle is having a highest level abstractions that is fundamental to the universe that drives all things towards itself. Initially my impulse when I figured this out was "well gently caress Aristotle then!" So I went back and started reading Nicomachean Ethics, commentary of Aristotle, etc. What I found was that Aristotle put love there.

"In Aristotle another element is added to the Platonic tradition: the Divine is a form without matter, perfect in itself and - what is the profoundest idea in Aristotle - this highest form, called God, is moving the world, not causally, not by pushing it from outside, but by driving everything finite towards Him in terms of love. Aristotle developed, in spite of his seeming merely scientific attitude towards reality, one of the greatest systems of love, where he says that God, the highest form - or pure actuality, as he calls it--moves everything by being loved by everything"

The skeptic crowd (edit: not all of them just the ones that overlap with libertarians) has the laws of science as that as that highest form that driving everything finite towards itself
The libertarian crowd has freedom or liberty or self as that highest form that driving everything finite towards itself.
The Catholics have love as that highest form that driving everything finite towards itself.

But the conservative Catholics have dropped that love, for strictly legalistic rules and libertarianism.

Anyway that's why I think these things overlap so much.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 14, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Who What Now posted:

See, Brandor, why can't you be clear like that?

Because when I think about it internally that whole post I made (and basically all my posts on libertarianism) the thought in my head that says all that is "It's an idol".

The circular nature, the tautologies, the placing of the abstract idea (freedom) above all other ideas and things. "It's an idol" says all that. The error of a highest infinite form (God) driving everything towards itself being defined by an constructed abstraction. "It's an idol" says all that. The they're going to systematize methodically from the foundational idea and make some of those systematized ideas into dogma. "It's an idol" says all that. The legalistic way the whole thing develops, "It's an idol" implies all that. The whole they're going to believe things that are detached from reality, "It's an idol" says all that.

There's still a problem when I'm clear and straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Wanamingo posted:

He's witnessing to us.

When pressed do actually do that, he just goes back to arguing obscure points about libertarianism. Previously I asked him what the real event or events in his life that lead him to libertarianism were. What in his own personal individual life made him a libertarian and convinced him that libertarianism was true? ie. to actually witness his libertarianism. He wouldn't. I even offered to do the same about my own beliefs.

He's doing apology (not witnessing), but it's an empty and hollow apology without substance.

• Locked thread