Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I support whichever team has the highest numbers in FIFA each year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

vyelkin posted:

I support whichever team has the highest numbers in FIFA each year.

I'll never get used to people asking if that was "his weak foot"

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Charlotte Hornets posted:

lol just lol if you watch football and don't support a team
This

I've seen people suggest watching a whole season before they pick which team to support, it's mental. It's not loving hard, just support Liverpool.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Watch the foot and root for good

Russ
Dec 17, 2005

Chimping around, kick my brains round the floor
These are the days - it never rains but it pours
i am root

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

troofs posted:

Note: don't support Ipswich unless you're an inbred semi-human.

This but Hull

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Modus Trollens posted:

I'll never get used to people asking if that was "his weak foot"

That's what I've always called it, how else are you meant to describe quaresmas left foot

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

That's what I've always called it, how else are you meant to describe quaresmas left foot

The one he stands on.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I always laugh when I remember that RvP calls it his "chocolate leg"

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

The Mash posted:

I always laugh when I remember that RvP calls it his "chocolate leg"

the Dutch sure are racist

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

the Dutch sure are racist

Zwarte Robin is just part of their cultural heritage, furthermore

assleyriot
Jan 7, 2012
I'm an idiot newcomer to football and I have a question.

How are football players picked for national teams? Do selection methods differ by country or does FIFA have some standard regulations for everyone? No one I knew could give me an actual answer and I want to be less dumb.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

The national team manager selects whoever he wants. Sometimes the federations influence their choices but that's usually just hearsay.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Zodiac sign and favored agents.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Only regulation I know of that FIFA has regarding national teams is that all the players have to be citizens of that country. Which is why there was a stink over Diego Costa playing for Spain, since he's Brazilian (of Spanish descent IIRC) who got Spanish citizenship only shortly before announcing his intent to play for that team.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
England picks by popular opinion and that's why they're always incredibly poo poo and massively overrated every time they compete.

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.

the sex ghost posted:

This but Hull

I may be a semi-human but I'm certainly not inbred. :colbert:

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Only regulation I know of that FIFA has regarding national teams is that all the players have to be citizens of that country. Which is why there was a stink over Diego Costa playing for Spain, since he's Brazilian (of Spanish descent IIRC) who got Spanish citizenship only shortly before announcing his intent to play for that team.

Yeah, and while you can have dual citizenship you can only ever play official senior matches for one country during your career. It's always interesting when a young player has to make that choice.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

There's a few weird addendums to that too, like you can play senior friendlies and then switch nations, but if you played for a country at u21 level and then take up a second nationality, you can never play for your adopted nation

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
It also depends on your sponsors. In Italy's case for example, the national team manager gets paid €2 million a year by Puma, so if you're a player who's also sponsored by Puma you'll probably get picked.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Smaller nations also loves to call up garbagemen players so they can get international appearances on their wikipedia article and easier get sold to bad teams who doesnt know better

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

euroboy posted:

Smaller nations also loves to call up garbagemen players so they can get international appearances on their wikipedia article and easier get sold to bad teams who doesnt know better

Like Brazil.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Vinestalk posted:

England picks by popular opinion and that's why they're always incredibly poo poo and massively overrated every time they compete.

Most countries pick popular players it's just that in England all the players are garbage whereas in other countries most of the popular players are cool and good.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Why when setting up the wall during a set piece does one guy always face away from the kicker while the others don't?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Redczar posted:

Why when setting up the wall during a set piece does one guy always face away from the kicker while the others don't?

He's usually talking to the keeper who is directing the whole line. It's not that he's facing away from the ball, he's facing the keeper.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Gigi Galli posted:

He's usually talking to the keeper who is directing the whole line. It's not that he's facing away from the ball, he's facing the keeper.

More specifically the keeper is telling that dude exactly what part of the goal he wants the wall to cover as well as making sure it's lined up properly.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Setting up the wall correctly can be a lot harder than it looks because it can cover too much so the keeper cant see the ball, not just too little

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's also a bitch to properly point out to someone twenty meters away from you in a very noisy stadium where to stand exactly if someone's not looking at you. Also some idiot might flinch and leave a hole on the wall and the ball goes right through it and the keeper has to make up for it.

Being a goalkeeper is a very ungrateful job, that's my tip to all new comers.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Mans posted:

It is but they get to be weirdos and no one minds so it all evens out as it always does in football and that's my massive run on sentence.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Mans posted:

Americans love their keepers and usually blame them last.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bogan Krkic posted:

There's a few weird addendums to that too, like you can play senior friendlies and then switch nations, but if you played for a country at u21 level and then take up a second nationality, you can never play for your adopted nation

That's a really complicated way to say support Southampton. But please don't

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Redczar posted:

So he doesn't get hit in the dick.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I have a question: what really happened to Ronaldinho? I never saw him play in his prime so I only know of his reputation as one of Brazil's crown jewels and he's seemingly revered by quite a hefty chunk of people. I've seen the occansional clip of his insane footwork and ball control. Did he just stop giving a poo poo at some point and let his career fizzle out?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Wirth1000 posted:

I have a question: what really happened to Ronaldinho? I never saw him play in his prime so I only know of his reputation as one of Brazil's crown jewels and he's seemingly revered by quite a hefty chunk of people. I've seen the occansional clip of his insane footwork and ball control. Did he just stop giving a poo poo at some point and let his career fizzle out?

He got older, slowed down, and didnt keep himself as fit. He still did fully sick stuff in the later stages of his career (is he still playing?), but wasn't fast enough to be unplayable like he once was.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

he's still playing in liga mx

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Wirth1000 posted:

The same thing that happens to every superstar brazilian lol he was godly then got fat

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Wirth1000 posted:

I don't think that's fair, he played at Milan until he hit 30-31, then decided to go back to Brazil. There's never really been a flair player that can sustain that style past 30, and he'd already won everything and was fabulously wealthy. I'm sure he could have had a couple more seasons at the top level but I don't think anyone would claim he didn't do enough in his career.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Never enjoyed watching a player/team more than I did when Ronaldinho was in his prime for the Rijkaard Barca team. Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Giuly, Messi, Deco, Xavi, Iniesta phwoar

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Ronaldinho was ridiculously entertaining, probably the most fun you can have watching football tbh. Guys like Messi and Ronaldo are incredible especially their numbers, but a bit robotic in that they know what's most effective for them and you usually know what they're going to try, while Ronaldinho was one of the most unpredictable players ever, he would just pull out mind-boggling poo poo and even when it didn't work out you couldn't believe that he'd even tried it. Incredible player, shame he didn't have the work ethic to sustain those sort of skills for more years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
'dinho used the old fashioned gear like Ronaldo and ruined his body its a wonder he isn't nursing at this point. Shame but what price for entertainment.

• Locked thread