Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Pouring scorn on a dude for realising that having enough money to never need to worry about money again is really, really fun and a hell of a lot better than performing endless repetitive mechanical actions for a demanding and perpetually unsatisfied mob you give zero fucks about doesn't really make sense when you think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

African AIDS cum posted:

'dinho used the old fashioned gear like Ronaldo and ruined his body its a wonder he isn't nursing at this point. Shame but what price for entertainment.

Yeah, a shame they didn't have the Nike Mercurial Superfly IV back then.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Other thing about Ronaldinho is that what people remember now is his insane skills, tricks, and dribbling but especially when he was at Barcelona and to a lesser extent Milan and PSG he was also a ridiculously effective attacking player. People couldn't predict what he was going to do because he had so many tricks up his sleeve, and it meant he could bypass even really good defences to score goals or set others up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aPh00hC0aI

But beyond the flicks and skills and tricks and dribbling, he was also just really, really good at basic football stuff too. Like free kicks, for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnHNpBFa-Fg

I really don't blame the guy for getting fat and going home. He was absolutely incredible for years at the top, won everything there was to win, and got fabulously rich doing so.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Pouring scorn on a dude for realising that having enough money to never need to worry about money again is really, really fun and a hell of a lot better than performing endless repetitive mechanical actions for a demanding and perpetually unsatisfied mob you give zero fucks about doesn't really make sense when you think about it.

With the lifestyle he is accustomed to I doubt his net worth would sustain him for 10 years. The athletes never really reach mega rich status.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

African AIDS cum posted:

With the lifestyle he is accustomed to I doubt his net worth would sustain him for 10 years. The athletes never really reach mega rich status.

I think you are greatly overestimating the price of Brazilian hookers/blow.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
loving hell lads

practically a goal every time they were in 30 meters.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

loving hell lads

practically a goal every time they were in 30 meters.

2014: Honda, Torres, Mexes

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Don't remind me.

Though Honda has 2 goals in 2 matches so far and has looked pretty decent!

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

African AIDS cum posted:

i think you mean:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

Don't remind me.

Though Honda has 2 goals in 2 matches so far and has looked pretty decent!

He must have a Type-R sticker on the back of his shirt

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I still remember the first time I saw that free kick go under the wall and into the goal. That as crazy and never tried before. And it just worked. Genius.

And this gif also shows how the ball just does whatever Ronaldinho wants. I usually watch this 10 times because I still don't get how you can do that.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Ronaldinho had the best first touch of any player I've ever seen and was fantastically entertaining while doing it. Is there anyone on the global scene currently with the same level of flair and control?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Bogan Krkic posted:

Ronaldinho had the best first touch of any player I've ever seen and was fantastically entertaining while doing it. Is there anyone on the global scene currently with the same level of flair and control?

David Silva has an incredible first touch, but he doesn't really do tricks, and there's plenty of players with the tricks but sloppier control. It really is the combination of the two that made Ronaldinho special.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
The best touch in the world right now might even be Zlatan. Very different player obviously, different kind of "tricks", but he can do stuff with a ball no one else can do.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Bogan Krkic posted:

Wayne Routledge

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Ronaldinnhios eye trick in the 2006 world cup was so cool.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Danny Welbeck

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

I have a question: what really happened to Ronaldinho? I never saw him play in his prime so I only know of his reputation as one of Brazil's crown jewels and he's seemingly revered by quite a hefty chunk of people. I've seen the occansional clip of his insane footwork and ball control. Did he just stop giving a poo poo at some point and let his career fizzle out?

An inflated sense of ego that led to complacency and entitlement. He achieved boat loads at Barca and his brother/agent began filling dinho's head while being somewhat combative with the club. Ronaldinho began slipping and gaining weight, then got pushed out (with his brother kicking and screaming about how poorly he was being treated). There was that whole Milan thing, where there were glimmers of good play but not nearly enough to warrant his wages. Then he went back to Brazil for Flamengo, where nightclub owners were supposedly contracted out to pay the majority of his exorbitant wages. He played okay, but it came out later that his brother was battling with Flamengo over unpaid wages. Apparently the contract to pay Ronaldinho's wages didn't obligate the nightclub owners to actually pay him. So he left for Atletico Mineiro and had his little resurge playing with good players before they were sold and it was discovered that Ronaldinho was too old and unmotivated to carry a team by himself anymore. So now he's playing in Mexico.

And that's Ronaldinho's history.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bogan Krkic posted:

Yeah this he has the best first touch I think I've ever seen from a footballer, like that gif posted there he kills it utterly, utterly dead and he did that as a habit, it was more like a lead weight falling onto dense sponge just no bounce at all. His command of a football was crazy and it was probably his own self indulgence that stopped him being the very best player that ever lived.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Ninpo posted:

Yeah this he has the best first touch I think I've ever seen from a footballer, like that gif posted there he kills it utterly, utterly dead and he did that as a habit, it was more like a lead weight falling onto dense sponge just no bounce at all. His command of a football was crazy and it was probably his own self indulgence that stopped him being the very best player that ever lived.

i think hes in the top 10 easily. didnt he get such good control from playing beach football as a kid?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

opus111 posted:

i think hes in the top 10 easily. didnt he get such good control from playing beach football as a kid?

Beach and street football in Brazil, though to be fair most kids that make it from Brazil play poo poo loads of beach and street football.

Ronaldinho was just that loving gifted. The fat idiot.

He was nuts, he manipulated a football with such dexterity in his feet that you'd normally only find watching a basketball player gently caress about with a ball with his hands.

I'm not sure if it's a shame he was such a party animal and distracted himself from really being that best player ever, or if he was so loving entertaining -because- of that mentality.

Either way, it's a shame that his later career diminishes the fact that in his pomp he could do things that no one else ever could.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 20, 2014

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I always felt like Big Ronnie's downfall came not from hubris but from the fact that once he'd won everything he just wanted to gently caress around and panna everyone and have fun rather than continue to go through the physical and mental stress that comes from playing at the highest level. He'd done it all, had nothing left to prove, and so just went on his way and did what he wanted.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ronaldinho was so good that even I, Ninpo, noted big gay fanboy of Eric Cantona, the best player to ever have breathed Earth's atmosphere, reluctantly admit that he was probably better than Sir God King Eric.

On a good day.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Ronaldinho made Luca Antonini look like a brilliant offensive fullback, something nobody had ever been and will ever be able to do.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I don't think any player comes close to how much fun he is to watch

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

African AIDS cum posted:

Wayne Routledge

Routledge is a more well-rounded player, too. Top quality.

Brighterday
Jun 25, 2005
Let me just add some balance to this discussion: Ronaldinho was as good with the ball as player could be with his touch and command of the ball but he could not pass for poo poo and wasn't really much of a team player. He didn't defend and was a very bad reader of the game so I didn't particularly like watching him. But like I said his dribbling and skills with the ball were so good that he could play for some top teams and justify being in them. He makes a nice Youtube video subject and his street footballing/imaginative style was good in small doses but not over 90 minutes.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Brighterday posted:

Let me just add some balance to this discussion: Ronaldinho was as good with the ball as player could be with his touch and command of the ball but he could not pass for poo poo and wasn't really much of a team player. He didn't defend and was a very bad reader of the game so I didn't particularly like watching him. But like I said his dribbling and skills with the ball were so good that he could play for some top teams and justify being in them. He makes a nice Youtube video subject and his street footballing/imaginative style was good in small doses but not over 90 minutes.

AGREED

:agreed:

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Suqit in to make a dumb as poo poo post, it's like every other thread.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Duncan Sperguson posted:

Suqit in to make a dumb as poo poo post, it's like every other thread.

I think Suqit was being sarcastic dude. Anyone capable of rational thought knows Ronaldinho was more than just a show pony.

David Seaman certainly does.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ronaldinho is good but he's no Ryan Giggs.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Ronaldinho's only regret is that he never got to play alongside Paul Scholes

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I wasn't being sarcastic. Those are all things I've said before about Ronaldinho. And it's ok that people have differing opinions. It would be pretty boring if we all agreed on everything.

One thing I would differ on is he was an incredible passer when he decided to pass. He just didn't decide that enough imo.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Brighterday posted:

Not every player needs to be a quintessential team player or a good passer (what?) or good defensively. His offensive prowess and the dynamic he gave the team in that area of the pitch was more than enough to make up for him not being a workhorse IMO, and I'm glad not every player is a Roy Keane clone.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder which of the football graveyards are worse, the Mexican League, the Arab ones or MLS

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Yeah, I imagine any manager would tell Ronaldinho to focus his energy on scoring goals and being fully sick and not to be too bothered about tracking back. Same goes for Ronaldo. I hate hearing the Taylor Twellmans of the world criticize him for being light on defense when he scores a goal a game. A team should accommodate players like that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There isn't much patience for such players in the modern game though. Almost all top teams use attacking players that track back at least minimally. Ronaldo and Messi are two notable examples, but they're scoring way more goals than Ronaldinho did in his prime.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Lots of people want football to become a robotic game wth all the personality of teams destroyed.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

opus111 posted:

Lots of people want football to become a robotic game wth all the personality of teams destroyed.

yes, we have the Premier League for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Manchester. United have lots of personality right now.

• Locked thread