Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Why did Starcraft become the more popular franchise ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

because battle.net was better for multiplayer than calling up your one pal's modem across town who spent the whole game blocking your refineries with stealth tanks

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress yuri and his mind control unit bullshit

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

because battle.net was better for multiplayer than calling up your one pal's modem across town who spent the whole game blocking your refineries with stealth tanks

they had westwood online when they started making windows 95 versions of the first games.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

obese retard posted:

they had westwood online when they started making windows 95 versions of the first games.

westwood online was not good though. at least my experience with it was not good.

red alert 2 was the pinnacle of cnc.

when i was a little boy, i did not know much about pc gaming. i had consoles at home and played pc games at a friend's house. but then we got a pc and a friend of mine brought over command and conquer and it had like a cool opening cutscene then i saw all these little mans running across the battlefield. and when a guy died sometimes he would fall over and sometimes he would like get torn in half by bullets and his torso would fly and there would be this arc of blood and if a barrel exploded then the little man would catch fire and run and scream and fall and die.

the cutscene fmvs were true ownage gaming too. i remember that you would be debriefed and given missions by some guy in like a black beret in the NOD campaign, but then the guy would overstep his bounds and tell you to attack the pentagon and while he was telling you this a hand with a gun showed up on the side of the screen and cold shot him through the head and then kane would push his body offscreen and take his place and it blew my tiny mind i was like "whoa okay, pc gaming is where i need to be" so thank you command and conquer, you were pretty good westwood bro i miss you sometimes.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

PEACE THROUGH POWER

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
RA2 was real good

i liked the bonus missions v. giant mutant ants

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

generals is cool because its now happening irl

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Lawman 0 posted:

PEACE THROUGH POWER

KANE LIVES

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Mr. Pumroy posted:

when i was a little boy, i did not know much about pc gaming. i had consoles at home and played pc games at a friend's house. but then we got a pc and a friend of mine brought over command and conquer and it had like a cool opening cutscene then i saw all these little mans running across the battlefield. and when a guy died sometimes he would fall over and sometimes he would like get torn in half by bullets and his torso would fly and there would be this arc of blood and if a barrel exploded then the little man would catch fire and run and scream and fall and die.

the cutscene fmvs were true ownage gaming too. i remember that you would be debriefed and given missions by some guy in like a black beret in the NOD campaign, but then the guy would overstep his bounds and tell you to attack the pentagon and while he was telling you this a hand with a gun showed up on the side of the screen and cold shot him through the head and then kane would push his body offscreen and take his place and it blew my tiny mind i was like "whoa okay, pc gaming is where i need to be" so thank you command and conquer, you were pretty good westwood bro i miss you sometimes.

this is like my exact same story of how i got into pc gaming.

c&c owns

westwood owns

kane owns

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Mr. Pumroy posted:

westwood online was not good though. at least my experience with it was not good.

yeah when it was run outside the game by the desktop browser client it was kind of lame. it was much better when it was integrated directly into the game fro tiberian sun onwards. at least i think it was.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

u can tell that he derives a lot of satifsction from his job

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Tanya has a sexy rear end..

TheDead1
Aug 12, 2007
I liked generals and zero hour they where the only ones i played

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-gI_pFog0

HeyCrapOnThis
Jul 3, 2002

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
Anton LaVey looking good

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBvOeQF_S-I

Kane was a pretty cool guy how did he survive getting iron cannoned ? or was that not canon?

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

Vier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBvOeQF_S-I

Kane was a pretty cool guy how did he survive getting iron cannoned ? or was that not canon?

kane is cain from the bible, and immortal
no, really

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Dwight Evans posted:

kane is cain from the bible, and immortal
no, really

:crossarms:

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

dumb but true, the evidence being:

there are a bunch of biblical references with nod
kane gets shot by an ion cannon and survives(it's canon, yes)
he's in red alert, which is set 50 years before the main series, and doesn't age in that time

e: i never finished the c&c3 campaign so i looked up what happened in it, and apparently at some point the aliens scan kane and they don't recognize his genetic structure, meaning he isn't human

Abysswalker fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 10, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the missions where u didn't build a base fuckin sucked because those games were good because you built bases

dune 2 supremacy fatherfuckers!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I liked the one where u could play as terrorists or the Chinese

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Dwight Evans posted:

he's in red alert, which is set 50 years before the main series, and doesn't age in that time

e: i never finished the c&c3 campaign so i looked up what happened in it, and apparently at some point the aliens scan kane and they don't recognize his genetic structure, meaning he isn't human

That's the dumbest poo poo I ever heard!

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Dwight Evans posted:

The C & C plot went loving stupid, so dumb that people could not understand what happened until the actor that played Kane literally spelled it out.
Also after 15 odd years of having Kane as the main villain his story ended in a crap short video which was literally "I have to go my planet needs me"

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I liked the one where u could play as terrorists or the Chinese

it was kinda dumb that the chinese hero didn't have a gun, or martial arts skills, or something

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

it's time to hellmarch to the banging tunes of frank klepacki
[/URL]

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

unable to comply. posting in progress

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer

Dwight Evans posted:

e: i never finished the c&c3 campaign so i looked up what happened in it

at the end of the C&C2 GDI ending (canon), kane is stabbed and dies

then at the end of the C&C2 expansion it shows a room full of vats with bodies in them and finally kane's body being regrown in a vat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht5HdhW9UjE skip to 0:55

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
you must construct additional pylons!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the GLA was cool and had a correct and righteous ideology

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

The C & C plot went loving stupid, so dumb that people could not understand what happened until the actor that played Kane literally spelled it out.
Also after 15 odd years of having Kane as the main villain his story ended in a crap short video which was literally "I have to go my planet needs me"

oh so he's an alien actually
cool. lol

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mr. Pumroy posted:

[/URL]

guy who looks like neo

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

AbDomen posted:

at the end of the C&C2 GDI ending (canon), kane is stabbed and dies

then at the end of the C&C2 expansion it shows a room full of vats with bodies in them and finally kane's body being regrown in a vat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht5HdhW9UjE skip to 0:55

So kane is an alien clone? Jesus this is more of a clusterfuck than :lost:

also.

gently caress da GDI

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
tiberian sun was the best one. dune 2000 was okay as well though

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Mr. Pumroy posted:

[/URL]

cool, i love me some frank k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FlM8gU_OEY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tz9iiNxBDI

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

lol gotcha there, didn i? heres what you came for :coal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_XyA6Enens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

i don't accept any of that kane being an alien clone nonsense. kane is cain from the bible and that's the canon i am sticking with :colbert:

• Locked thread