Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Serf posted:

Don't be so hard on yourself, it sounds like most 1st sessions in a new system. They're usually trainwrecks in my experience, but so long as everyone has fun, it's fine. I hope your next session goes better!

Yeah, I'm probably being a bit too hard on myself. Anyway, this was a one-shot, but having given the game a spin now I can say that it's exactly to my liking and I do want to run an extended campaign of this at some point. Just need to find the right group to run it for.

Also, it kind of sucks that even though Roll20 now has a character sheet for Strike! you still can't search for Strike! games in LFG. Makes finding an online group so much harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Ratpick posted:

Yeah, I'm probably being a bit too hard on myself. Anyway, this was a one-shot, but having given the game a spin now I can say that it's exactly to my liking and I do want to run an extended campaign of this at some point. Just need to find the right group to run it for.

Also, it kind of sucks that even though Roll20 now has a character sheet for Strike! you still can't search for Strike! games in LFG. Makes finding an online group so much harder.

I just heard back from Roll20 on this and apparently we just need enough games on the site that they can be confident that people sorting by it can find something. So everyone go run Strike games on Roll20! I'm not sure how many is enough, but judging from some of the other games the list, it shouldn't take a huge number.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Now that I actually have a bit of experience with the system thanks to that one-shot, I might actually go ahead and run an extended campaign with it. I kind of want to run a hexcrawl of sorts: even though at first I wouldn't have thought Strike! to be the appropriate system for this kind of a game, the way how Conditions interact with Tactical Combat makes it seem entirely doable.

I'll want to introduce the Fresh condition into the game, but I also need to think about clearly outlined rules for recovering from the other conditions. Basically, since there probably won't be huge story-related consequences for resting, I want to put some kind of cost on recovering from conditions, the simplest limitation just being "You can't recover from Exhausted until you're actually in town and get yourself a room at an inn, you can recover from Winded by taking a ten-minute rest in the dungeon but that risks wandering monsters/other danger." Thoughts?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ratpick posted:

Now that I actually have a bit of experience with the system thanks to that one-shot, I might actually go ahead and run an extended campaign with it. I kind of want to run a hexcrawl of sorts: even though at first I wouldn't have thought Strike! to be the appropriate system for this kind of a game, the way how Conditions interact with Tactical Combat makes it seem entirely doable.

I'll want to introduce the Fresh condition into the game, but I also need to think about clearly outlined rules for recovering from the other conditions. Basically, since there probably won't be huge story-related consequences for resting, I want to put some kind of cost on recovering from conditions, the simplest limitation just being "You can't recover from Exhausted until you're actually in town and get yourself a room at an inn, you can recover from Winded by taking a ten-minute rest in the dungeon but that risks wandering monsters/other danger." Thoughts?

This is especially true for whatever your condition to replace "Cursed" is. That very specifically affects the pace of the game -- if it can only be removed in remote wilderness shrines, or near large bodies of water, or in the high temple.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ratpick posted:

This sounds pretty good to me. Maybe include health potions that can remove Exhausted/Winded/Injured but make them pretty rare loot? They could have an alternate use as a way to restore HP in-combat so you have to make the choice between HP or clearing Conditions.

You could use a pacing roll to see if they get interrupted while clearing Winded, and going back to town to clear Exhausted seems like a good idea for a hexcrawl game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I would say to make it so stopping to cure Winded always cures it (it doesn't fail if you get a wandering monster), but the encounter instead has a surprise round for the monsters or something similar.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Serf posted:

This sounds pretty good to me. Maybe include health potions that can remove Exhausted/Winded/Injured but make them pretty rare loot? They could have an alternate use as a way to restore HP in-combat so you have to make the choice between HP or clearing Conditions.

You could use a pacing roll to see if they get interrupted while clearing Winded, and going back to town to clear Exhausted seems like a good idea for a hexcrawl game.

Countblanc posted:

I would say to make it so stopping to cure Winded always cures it (it doesn't fail if you get a wandering monster), but the encounter instead has a surprise round for the monsters or something similar.

This is all good advice, thanks!

I reviewed the rules for Dangerous Delves last night, and it actually provided me with more support for this style of game. However, it also featured the rule that characters can only do two things in town (recovering from Conditions, training, etc.) and I'm wondering whether it'll need to be as strict as that. Simply by gating everything behind Wealth tests (you have to pay for room and board, the materials necessary for fixing your equipment, etc.) I can make money the pacing mechanic while in town instead of using an arbitrary time limit.

Thinking about it now, while I do want there to be a hexcrawl element to this game, I must say I really enjoy the rules as presented in Dangerous Delves, and might try to adapt a lot of them into this campaign.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Ratpick posted:

This is all good advice, thanks!

I reviewed the rules for Dangerous Delves last night, and it actually provided me with more support for this style of game. However, it also featured the rule that characters can only do two things in town (recovering from Conditions, training, etc.) and I'm wondering whether it'll need to be as strict as that. Simply by gating everything behind Wealth tests (you have to pay for room and board, the materials necessary for fixing your equipment, etc.) I can make money the pacing mechanic while in town instead of using an arbitrary time limit.

Thinking about it now, while I do want there to be a hexcrawl element to this game, I must say I really enjoy the rules as presented in Dangerous Delves, and might try to adapt a lot of them into this campaign.

Oh good! I was going to say you should check those out. I don't think that it's an all-or-nothing thing, either. You can pick and choose the parts of DD that are appropriate for your campaign, and ignore the parts that aren't.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

I'm definitely going to be borrowing a lot from Dangerous Delves, on a further read. I intend to run this campaign on a revolving door basis, so players can come and go according to their own schedules, and the format of Dangerous Delves really supports that type of campaign. I'm still going to make modifications of my own to the formula, but they've really helped me clarify the mechanics of this campaign.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Heads up, the DropBox link to the Rules Preview, from the Start Playing Now page of the website, seems to be dead.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87648110/Strike%21%20Rules%20Preview.pdf

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

bewilderment posted:

Heads up, the DropBox link to the Rules Preview, from the Start Playing Now page of the website, seems to be dead.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87648110/Strike%21%20Rules%20Preview.pdf

Thanks! I'll go fix that now. I really need to find time to make an updated preview at some point.

Edit: Turns out it was just the wrong file name.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 22, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Hey jimbozig, I had a quick question about the rules for Dangerous Delves: it says that Major Conditions are off the table unless specifically stated in the dungeon's description. How does this interact with post-tactical combat Conditions from Strikes? My reading was that a character can still pick up the Exhausted and Injured conditions through combat, but I just can't throw them around as Costs outside of combat.

I had the opportunity to pitch this game to a bunch of my friends last week and we'll be going for a Darkest Dungeon vibe with it. Just need to write up some appropriate Backgrounds and Origins.

e: I'm dumb and only just noticed that this is explicitly spelled out in Dangerous Delves

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Nov 2, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ratpick posted:

I had the opportunity to pitch this game to a bunch of my friends last week and we'll be going for a Darkest Dungeon vibe with it. Just need to write up some appropriate Backgrounds and Origins.

Share what you come up with if you're willing, I think that would be a really great fit.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
Is there a more recent version of Dangerous Delves then the one linked in the May 20th update?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Power Player posted:

Is there a more recent version of Dangerous Delves then the one linked in the May 20th update?

The final version of Dangerous Delves is in the final PDF, which all the backers/buyers have.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

homullus posted:

Share what you come up with if you're willing, I think that would be a really great fit.

Admittedly most of the stuff I came up with was just refluffing existing Backgrounds, although I'm pretty proud of the Trick I came up with for the Witch Hunter:

Everyone is Guilty: A Witch Hunter can always get a confession out of someone, whether for real or imagined crimes.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ratpick posted:

Admittedly most of the stuff I came up with was just refluffing existing Backgrounds, although I'm pretty proud of the Trick I came up with for the Witch Hunter:

Everyone is Guilty: A Witch Hunter can always get a confession out of someone, whether for real or imagined crimes.

This is excellent.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I would buy a Strike Monsters, Treasure and Traps book.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Gort posted:

This is not an empty quote.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gort posted:

This is.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gort posted:

megane posted:

This is not an empty quote.

Dear Jim,

I told you so.

Sincerely,
Count

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gort posted:

I would buy it only if it had a serial comma in the title.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Chiming in to say that I too would buy an official book of monsters and poo poo for Strike!

Speaking of, I've locked down on five different types of dungeons for this Dangerous Delves game, and have also figured out what type of opposition the PCs will find in each. Each type of dungeon is tied to one of the major conditions.

The Sewers are Unhealthy and inhabited by ratmen. Going for a Skaven vibe here, but focusing on stuff like sneaky bastards and disease.

The Woods are Dangerous and inhabited by beastman-like goatmen, but without the demon worship angle and focused on really violent nature worship.

The Catacombs are Terrifying (unlocks Terrified, the major mental condition) and inhabited by the undead, of course.

The Ruins are Cursed (unlocks the campaign-specific condition of the same name) and home to a demon-worshiping cult and their demonic patrons.

And finally, the Placid dungeon type is reserved as a catch-all for dungeons featuring bandits and other normal people without any overt supernatural influence.

What I need help with is coming up with a set of dungeon-appropriate monsters for each type: as the players clear dungeons they should be able to know in advance what types of monsters they will find there simply based on the descriptors.

For an example, the ratmen in the sewers will mostly field Sneaks as well having lots of Stooges (rats!) and Mobs (swarms of rats!). The undead will mostly be zombie Goons (to represent the fact that single well-placed headshot will take them down) along with Drainers and Horrors. The goatmen will probably mostly have Chargers, with the occasional Elite Brute to represent a really big and strong goatman.

All help is appreciated. I was also thinking of adding one more dungeon type, the Bayou, because frogmen are awesome.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

Money at screen, nothing happening, etc.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ratpick posted:

Chiming in to say that I too would buy an official book of monsters and poo poo for Strike!

Speaking of, I've locked down on five different types of dungeons for this Dangerous Delves game, and have also figured out what type of opposition the PCs will find in each. Each type of dungeon is tied to one of the major conditions.

The Sewers are Unhealthy and inhabited by ratmen. Going for a Skaven vibe here, but focusing on stuff like sneaky bastards and disease.

The Woods are Dangerous and inhabited by beastman-like goatmen, but without the demon worship angle and focused on really violent nature worship.

The Catacombs are Terrifying (unlocks Terrified, the major mental condition) and inhabited by the undead, of course.

The Ruins are Cursed (unlocks the campaign-specific condition of the same name) and home to a demon-worshiping cult and their demonic patrons.

And finally, the Placid dungeon type is reserved as a catch-all for dungeons featuring bandits and other normal people without any overt supernatural influence.

What I need help with is coming up with a set of dungeon-appropriate monsters for each type: as the players clear dungeons they should be able to know in advance what types of monsters they will find there simply based on the descriptors.

For an example, the ratmen in the sewers will mostly field Sneaks as well having lots of Stooges (rats!) and Mobs (swarms of rats!). The undead will mostly be zombie Goons (to represent the fact that single well-placed headshot will take them down) along with Drainers and Horrors. The goatmen will probably mostly have Chargers, with the occasional Elite Brute to represent a really big and strong goatman.

All help is appreciated. I was also thinking of adding one more dungeon type, the Bayou, because frogmen are awesome.

This is really well thought-out! To carry over more of Darkest Dungeon, you could have some Delves with the same push-your-luck element, where they have to explore a certain number of rooms and are better-rewarded if they keep going.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hey Jim, you mention in the "playing online" section about going to StrikeRPG.com for macros, but I can't find them anywhere~

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Countblanc posted:

Hey Jim, you mention in the "playing online" section about going to StrikeRPG.com for macros, but I can't find them anywhere~

Oops! I forgot to get those up. That's another weekend project, I guess.

Edit: also, I'm bad at writing up monsters and treasure and stuff since I prefer to just wing it, but since there is demand, I'll try make a project to bash out 1 per day and then eventually I'll have enough to make a book.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 5, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

Oops! I forgot to get those up. That's another weekend project, I guess.

Edit: also, I'm bad at writing up monsters and treasure and stuff since I prefer to just wing it, but since there is demand, I'll try make a project to bash out 1 per day and then eventually I'll have enough to make a book.

Might help to think in terms of genre -- like, cook up some items for fantasy, and when you run out of ideas, wing some for Weird War II, then for Western, et cetera. You probably only need the monster stat blocks once, and then suggest how to reskin each for those settings.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I thought about doing it once and what I was going to do was grab the D&D 4e Monster Vault, read over each monster and write down its gimmick in one sentence (EG: "Getting hit makes you prone and hurts, if already prone it double hurts" might be good for a wolf-type enemy) and then just write an equivalent Strike statblock that preserves the gimmick.

Treasure's tougher 'cause I haven't seen a game that does it "just right" yet - 4e was probably closest to doing so, but most of the magic items in that were overly specific, only giving bonuses to a particular build of a particular class. Then again, there were a couple that everyone wanted to have. I think for Strike I'd probably focus on one-use items (magic shield that breaks when you take a critical but leaves you unharmed, for example) and the crazy utility items like the folding boat, immovable rods or a spyglass that lets you eavesdrop from 10 miles away.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of monsters, how high in terms of points would you rate making a creature size 2x2? I'm prepping monsters for tomorrow's game and should the players choose to explore the rat-infested sewer I kind of want to throw a swarm of rats at them.

e: Looking around now, this seems really weird. The Mob trait doesn't really do much unless the creature is at least 2x2 in size (because you can't actually hit multiple squares occupied by a creature that is only 1x1 in size). Is it implicit that a Mob should generally be at least 2x2 in size (although oddly enough there's an example of a 1x1 Mob in the game)?

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 6, 2015

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Gort posted:

Treasure's tougher 'cause I haven't seen a game that does it "just right" yet - 4e was probably closest to doing so, but most of the magic items in that were overly specific, only giving bonuses to a particular build of a particular class. Then again, there were a couple that everyone wanted to have. I think for Strike I'd probably focus on one-use items (magic shield that breaks when you take a critical but leaves you unharmed, for example) and the crazy utility items like the folding boat, immovable rods or a spyglass that lets you eavesdrop from 10 miles away.

Have you looked at Numenara and its Artifacts and Cyphers? Some of them are a boring Greatsword of Slashing +1 dealie, but many are of the utility variety.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Seconding the Cypher system as being an interesting model of handing out treasure.

VVVVVVV That's a similar approach to what Cyphers are. They're one-shot items that let you tap into a single "interesting effect". It's the fact that they're consumable that lets them be more flexible and versatile, because you wouldn't create a "you can now Mark targets while wearing this" item because you'd otherwise allow a Blaster to step on a Defender's toes passively, but you could give a "you can cast Mark once" item since it goes away after the one use.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 7, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If you want a 4E derived game that handles treasure and "magic items" in an interesting way then you should consider the 4E-based Gamma World. Essentially you had a variety of "Omega Tech" items which ranged from rayguns and jetpacks to in one case a full-fledged tank, each of which has a powerful ability that depending on the item in question is either a 1/encounter deal or something that lasts the entire fight. After the encounter ends, though, you have to make a saving throw of sorts and if you fail the throw then the item breaks, loses its main charge, etc...but many Omega Tech items can be salvaged even if you fail the roll, working in a reduced capacity or in some other jury-rigged state (i.e. a hoverboard that can be repurposed into a repulsor shield strapped to your arm).

Now obviously the way this is set up is meant to be used for the sort of gonzo post-apocalyptic setting that Gamma World is aiming for, it's not necessarily desirable for, say, a dungeon crawling fantasy game for magic swords and enchanted capes to be breaking down every other fight (at least not for most fantasy games anyway), but the important takeaway that can be applied to any sort of setting is that special treasure and gear, whatever it is, can and probably should be more along the lines of something that gives you a rad encounter ability or a new unique at-will instead of "+1 to hit, +1 damage." And even outside of post-apoc settings the saving throw/salvage dynamic is still something worth considering as a better way to handle limited-use equipment (magic wants with limited charge, prototype rayguns, power armor with finite fuel reserves, etc) than tracking individual bullets/charges/etc.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
That version of Gamma World was really cool in general. can't wait to play it

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

:siren: Hey! Vehicles are out! Let me know what you think of it.

If you're not a KS or Patreon backer, you either have to wait for drivethru to open up sale of the PDF to the public (on Monday, I think) or PM me if you're impatient and I can sell it to you directly. I will at some point update my website to include my own webstore for these things, but that's a project for another weekend.

Ratpick posted:

Speaking of monsters, how high in terms of points would you rate making a creature size 2x2? I'm prepping monsters for tomorrow's game and should the players choose to explore the rat-infested sewer I kind of want to throw a swarm of rats at them.

e: Looking around now, this seems really weird. The Mob trait doesn't really do much unless the creature is at least 2x2 in size (because you can't actually hit multiple squares occupied by a creature that is only 1x1 in size). Is it implicit that a Mob should generally be at least 2x2 in size (although oddly enough there's an example of a 1x1 Mob in the game)?
I don't think increasing a monster's size is worth much. It depends on the party, but it can sometimes do more harm than good. Makes it harder to get cover, for instance. And yeah, mobs will generally be 2x2 or larger.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 8, 2015

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Until I can throw money at Jimbo, what're the rules like? How do they interact with characters, for starters?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

spectralent posted:

Until I can throw money at Jimbo, what're the rules like? How do they interact with characters, for starters?

Vehicles can be items (in which case they are used by the characters in the ways other items are) or can be written up for tactical combat as simplified character classes, with their own levels and a few tweaks to that subsystem. There's also a modified Chase system for dogfighting-type vehicle interactions, since dogfighting is only kind of like chasing.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

homullus posted:

Vehicles can be items (in which case they are used by the characters in the ways other items are) or can be written up for tactical combat as simplified character classes, with their own levels and a few tweaks to that subsystem. There's also a modified Chase system for dogfighting-type vehicle interactions, since dogfighting is only kind of like chasing.

The latter I'm extremely interested in. Do character traits have much impact on the tactical combat class, or are they basically separate entities?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

spectralent posted:

The latter I'm extremely interested in. Do character traits have much impact on the tactical combat class, or are they basically separate entities?

They're separate by default, since the vehicle classes represent kinds of vehicles rather than modeling the combination of a vehicle and a driver. You might use the driver/pilot's nature to decide whether your Scout vehicle takes Damage Reduction Boost or Speed Boost, for instance, if the players in your campaign want to privilege the character over the vehicle for that decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Spotted a typo in Vehicles, page 11, column 2, line 14, "a dangerous for" should be "foe".

• Locked thread